Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Romero Osby 5 Star SF

Featured Replies

:thumb: I have been saying this all along. U.K. or no one else is ever going to have string of titles like the UCLA run of J. Wooden years ago. That is just crazy to think so. Imo the ones that say "the "Kentucky" name doesn't mean as much as it used to" are just wishing that it didn't bc their name never will.;) .

:thumb: :thumb: Very well stated...!!!

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean that it's just another factor, unlike once upon a time when the name 'Kentucky' across the jersey was probably a dominant factor.

 

I think we can all agree there's a difference.

 

I agree there is some difference, but still High School players that know anything about Basketball know the top programs historys and what it means to play at those schools. You are fooling yourself if you don't think these kids know about UK and would love for UK to recruit them.

You guys crack me up... I could care less about UK's once-upon-a-time dominance. In the decades that I have been alive, U of L dominated the 80's and UK dominated the 90's. And right now, Louisville has the better team. These insecure claims of jealousy put me into laughing fits, truly.

 

Do you honestly think that the name Kentucky means the same thing to recruiting that it did back in the day? Clearly it doesn't. Tradition, ACROSS THE BOARD, doesn't mean what it used to.

 

I was just defending Tubby, my personal rooting interest doesn't come into play here.

 

I am sorry but you don't get to pick your time frame. If we get to pick time frames then I trump you. :D

I agree there is some difference, but still High School players that know anything about Basketball know the top programs historys and what it means to play at those schools. You are fooling yourself if you don't think these kids know about UK and would love for UK to recruit them.
I'm not fooling myself about anything. That's why I said that it still means something.

 

But today, tradition is just another factor, right up there with playing time, media exposure, NBA prep, what the girls look like, how warm it is on campus in December, a team's current success, etc.. I think that AAU ball plays a pretty strong factor in this, and a great example is the one game not touched by club sports (football) still places a much greater emphasis on tradition.

I am sorry but you don't get to pick your time frame. If we get to pick time frames then I trump you. :D
Uh, since I was responding to the claim that I was jealous, I'll pick whatever timeframe I want.:thumb:
Uh, since I was responding to the claim that I was jealous, I'll pick whatever timeframe I want.:thumb:

I have already trumped you. Game over.:D

You guys crack me up... I could care less about UK's once-upon-a-time dominance. In the decades that I have been alive, U of L dominated the 80's and UK dominated the 90's. And right now, Louisville has the better team. These insecure claims of jealousy put me into laughing fits, truly.

 

Do you honestly think that the name Kentucky means the same thing to recruiting that it did back in the day? Clearly it doesn't. Tradition, ACROSS THE BOARD, doesn't mean what it used to.

 

I was just defending Tubby, my personal rooting interest doesn't come into play here.

You UL fans always come back with the "in my lifetime" rant. In case you didn't realize it, there are others that have been alive during your so called "once-upon-a-time dominace" so that excuse is really lame. It may have happened before you were thought about but that doesn't change it's meaning or what UK Pride and Tradition is. Just as you stated that you could care less about what UK has accomplished I feel the same about UL. I couldn't tell you the names of their players as I have no interest in what they do. However, that doesn't take away or change their accomplishments. You speak of personal rooting interest not coming into play but you continue to try and diminish what UK has accomplished so it appears that your personal interest does come into play. You have a right to what you believe but others on here have the same right as well.

There are a few schools names who still have enough "tradition" but that is ever changing based on the balance in college basketball, the limitation of scholarships, and the TV exposure given to all conferences instead of the game of week scenario. I have thought about this alot and I think the teams whose names carry "tradition" weight (I look at this as different than current exposure and playing good in the last few NCAA's ) are:

 

NC

Duke

UK

UCLA

Kansas

Indiana (to a lesser degree than the others)

 

 

Do I think other schools from current successes can out recruit??? Yes....but these schools can rely on tradition when recruiting.:thumb:

You UL fans always come back with the "in my lifetime" rant. In case you didn't realize it, there are others that have been alive during your so called "once-upon-a-time dominace" so that excuse is really lame. It may have happened before you were thought about but that doesn't change it's meaning or what UK Pride and Tradition is. Just as you stated that you could care less about what UK has accomplished I feel the same about UL. I couldn't tell you the names of their players as I have no interest in what they do. However, that doesn't take away or change their accomplishments. You speak of personal rooting interest not coming into play but you continue to try and diminish what UK has accomplished.

:thumb: :thumb: You just nailed it!!! :ylsuper:

You UL fans always come back with the "in my lifetime" rant. In case you didn't realize it, there are others that have been alive during your so called "once-upon-a-time dominace" so that excuse is really lame. It may have happened before you were thought about but that doesn't change it's meaning or what UK Pride and Tradition is. Just as you stated that you could care less about what UK has accomplished I feel the same about UL. I couldn't tell you the names of their players as I have no interest in what they do. However, that doesn't take away or change their accomplishments. You speak of personal rooting interest not coming into play but you continue to try and diminish what UK has accomplished.
cville, I was specifically responding to the claim that I was jealous. What I said was in context to that only. Since it's a question of my motives, I think that how I feel is pretty contextually important. I can't help it that oldrambler had to drag my motives into this. If you don't like the fact that I'm in a unique position to state what they are over someone who's never met me, maybe you can ask him to stop giving me an opportunity to do so.

 

I mean, if I were discussing my zombie move collection, and you stated that zombie movies aren't that interesting to you, would it make sense for me to say that you're just jealous?

The name Kentucky definitely means something. However, you guys who are acting like it is a huge factor are naive...If that were the fact, then why wasn't Tubby able to bring in the superstars? I mean if the name Kentucky meant so much to these kids then style of play and coach wouldn't have turned these kids away...Tradition and name are factors, but they pale in comparison to style of play and coach in present day recruiting, it's just a fact.

Billy G wining and dining Mark Kamora? What say you labs???

The name Kentucky definitely means something. However, you guys who are acting like it is a huge factor are naive...If that were the fact, then why wasn't Tubby able to bring in the superstars? I mean if the name Kentucky meant so much to these kids then style of play and coach wouldn't have turned these kids away...Tradition and name are factors, but they pale in comparison to style of play and coach in present day recruiting, it's just a fact.
UKMustangfan, don't be so jealous of UK's past accomplishments!:jump:

I mean, when will you people get over yourselves? The only reasons I posted in this thread are

 

a) The Tubby bashing, as if he wasn't in on kids like Osby and they weren't saying the exact same things about UK's tradition (they were.) I think Billy Clyde is a better recruiter than Orlando, but that doesn't mean that we should totally swing it to where Tubby couldn't recruit fish to the sea.

 

b) I do think that tradition, ACROSS THE BOARD, doesn't mean what it used to several decades ago. I don't think it's realistic to think that just because UK has a new coach, that will change. And you know what? There are plenty of UK fans that would agree with me.

As I have said on here before the name Kentucky will get you in the door of about 90% of todays players. It's up to the coaching staffs to close the deal, and as we have all seen the previous staff weren't very good closers.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.