Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

About the Gator faithful

Featured Replies

The day after the Gator football team won the national championship our faculty parking lot had all kinds of vehicles with assorted Gator paraphernalia. This week, however, not one flag, tag, banner, or anything else. Nothing.

I couldn't imagine a life where no one cares about college basketball...

They had to send out a press release begging people to show up for the teams arrival from Atlanta. As they put it: "Come welcome Coach Donovan and the team back". Trying to show him in a week attempt that they actually care. Besides at UK when they won the title they didn't have to beg or tell people when the team was coming back, we knew! Rupp was filled with 23,000 to welcome the team back in 96.

They had to send out a press release begging people to show up for the teams arrival from Atlanta. As they put it: "Come welcome Coach Donovan and the team back". Trying to show him in a week attempt that they actually care. Besides at UK when they won the title they didn't have to beg or tell people when the team was coming back, we knew! Rupp was filled with 23,000 to welcome the team back in 96.

 

How about the crowd for the team in 1992 when we didn't even MAKE the Final Four? But then again how many people were there to greet the football team back from Nashville?

Florida is simply not into basketball. It's all about football. It's a shame when a team has accomplished what these Gators have and not receive the fan support they deserve.

Florida is simply not into basketball. It's all about football. It's a shame when a team has accomplished what these Gators have and not receive the fan support they deserve.

 

You guys shouldn't complain too much. It's that football-first mentality that has allowed UK to clean up in the SEC in hoops for ... well ... pretty much ever.

You guys shouldn't complain too much. It's that football-first mentality that has allowed UK to clean up in the SEC in hoops for ... well ... pretty much ever.

BUT....

 

UK fans support football too. I was in Nashville when we basicly took over the city in a sea of blue during the Music City Bowl. And 80% of the 70,000 seat stadium were Kentucky fans as well.

They don't have to beg the UK fans to gather at the arena. They usually meet them at the airport.

BUT....

 

UK fans support football too. I was in Nashville when we basicly took over the city in a sea of blue during the Music City Bowl. And 80% of the 70,000 seat stadium were Kentucky fans as well.

 

Never said they didn't. They don't, however, have the high standards for football as they do in hoops. And that is just like the other SEC schools, but they just think football first. And let's not kid ourselves — the other SEC schools historically have loved having UK around for an easy win during the rough SEC schedule.

 

For UF fans, the recent hoops success is just a bonus. Icing on the cake after the NC in football. An aberration, if you will. Kind of like UK's football win in Nashville this year.

You guys shouldn't complain too much. It's that football-first mentality that has allowed UK to clean up in the SEC in hoops for ... well ... pretty much ever.

 

Couldnt agree more. Every school would like to think they have the most dedicated fans in the world. For most people though, you have to choose a sport to religously follow. I know that some people are very well off and can travel the world watching all the big games their team play. For most, a regular, hourly paying job comes before supporting the team. Most fans have jobs they go to every day. If I were a Florida football fan, I would have thought it was great that the basketball team won another national championship, but I doubt I would have called off a week from work, drove or flew to Atlanta and spent tons of money to watch them. Sometimes you have to pick and chose, that doesnt make you less of a fan, but more of a realistic person.

Couldnt agree more. Every school would like to think they have the most dedicated fans in the world. For most people though, you have to choose a sport to religously follow. I know that some people are very well off and can travel the world watching all the big games their team play. For most, a regular, hourly paying job comes before supporting the team. Most fans have jobs they go to every day. If I were a Florida football fan, I would have thought it was great that the basketball team won another national championship, but I doubt I would have called off a week from work, drove or flew to Atlanta and spent tons of money to watch them. Sometimes you have to pick and chose, that doesnt make you less of a fan, but more of a realistic person.

 

You just summed up exactly why UK is the "Roman Empire".

  • Author
Couldnt agree more. Every school would like to think they have the most dedicated fans in the world. For most people though, you have to choose a sport to religously follow. I know that some people are very well off and can travel the world watching all the big games their team play. For most, a regular, hourly paying job comes before supporting the team. Most fans have jobs they go to every day. If I were a Florida football fan, I would have thought it was great that the basketball team won another national championship, but I doubt I would have called off a week from work, drove or flew to Atlanta and spent tons of money to watch them. Sometimes you have to pick and chose, that doesnt make you less of a fan, but more of a realistic person.

 

I don't think it would have cost them any money at all to dig out the Gator stuff that was all over the cars in the parking lot after the football championship.

Im just speaking as a fan who isnt from Lexington. I would spend a hefty amount to go see the cats in a final four or national championship game because I grew up on Kentucky basketball. It's imbedded in my DNA.

 

However, if the football team were playing in a big game, I would be very pround of them. I wouldnt call off from work and travel with the team. I would watch the game at home and hope they won. I'd rather have that money to spend a little extra around christmas time or maybe a vacation.

 

How many of us on this site can say that we are as die hard about the football team as we are the basketball team ? Not calling anyone out, just seriously wondering. Would you be willing to dish out the money to watch the football team the way many do for the basketball team ?

You just summed up exactly why UK is the "Roman Empire".

 

I agree, the Roman Empire of college basketball. The fans at Kentucky have no limit when it comes to supporting the basketball team.

 

Lets say our football team started playing in and winning a few big time bowl games, would we all follow them as we do the b ball team ? I would like to think we would as would every school. When it comes down to it, I dont think I would.

Never said they didn't. They don't, however, have the high standards for football as they do in hoops. And that is just like the other SEC schools, but they just think football first. And let's not kid ourselves — the other SEC schools historically have loved having UK around for an easy win during the rough SEC schedule.

 

For UF fans, the recent hoops success is just a bonus. Icing on the cake after the NC in football. An aberration, if you will. Kind of like UK's football win in Nashville this year.

 

Giving even more credence to why Donovan would want to take the UK job...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.