April 2, 200719 yr :thumb: :thumb: I agree 100%, if the rest of Tubby's players would have had a fraction of the heart, desire and work ethic that Saul had then a couple more NC banners may very weell be flying in Rupp! Saul had to have the thickest skin imaginable from all the verbal abuse that he withstood whle at U.K.. Saul played with all hustle, heart and desire - he played the game "smart" and all along hearing more critisizm in Rupp than he did on the road. Just another example of Tubby and "Tubby's family" bashing by the loud minority of idiots during his time at U.K.! :irked: You obviously don't remember who he played with to make that statement. Prince, Bogans, Magloire, Fitch, Daniels, Estill all played their butts off. Look I like Saul personally. He had a heart as big as a building, and gave everything he had every second of the game. The kid is pure class. But plain and simple, he was not a prime time point guard, and his best wasn't good enough. Had Tubby brought in a top notch point guard and brought Saul off the bench for 8-10 minutes at the point and 8-10 at the 2-spot I think people would have loved the kid. I don't blame Saul for anything. I blame Tubby for putting Saul in that spot. That poor kid took abuse that no college kid should have to take. I have never booed any college athlete. I especially can't imagine booing one of my own.
April 2, 200719 yr Anybody think Tubby's desire to bring Saul on board is what prompted his move? Maybe he was willing to get new assistants, but he knew if he brought Saul in, all heck would break loose?
April 2, 200719 yr Anybody think Tubby's desire to bring Saul on board is what prompted his move? Maybe he was willing to get new assistants, but he knew if he brought Saul in, all heck would break loose? I can't even begin to imagine the utter chaos that would have come out of that.
April 2, 200719 yr Another ? staff. Jirsa was shaky at best at Marshall and booted out of Georgia. Tubby settles for fired coaches as assistants Is Finney the only recruiter along with Tub? :scared:
April 2, 200719 yr Ron Jirsa is a very solid recruiter and recruited two very good classes to Georgia while he was their HC. Saul, whether you like him as player or not, has been a very solid assistant/recruiter for Tennessee Tech and HC Mike Sutton. I don't think it is a surprise at all that Finney would be going w/Tubby. I think it is a very good collection of coaches and it is people that Tubby trusts and feels comfortable with. The thing to remember is that the Head of Basketball Operations will be someone w/Midwest ties according to reports out of Minnesota and from what Tubby has said. That will be big for recruiting that area, the Minneapolis area alone has a great bunch of talent.
April 3, 200719 yr Bad Rap? You stated the problem in your post --"pretty decent player". Pretty decent players shouldnt be our #1 choice to be the starting point guard. Also , this set recruiting at that position back 3 years because great players dont want to compete against the coaches son. Looking at Saul's ability , Tubby put himself and his son in a no win situation. IMO At the same time Saul was starting at the point for UK, I believe Lindsey Wilson Coach Steve Dodd had a former Mr. Basketball from WV starting at point guard with a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball as his back up!!!:eek: Talk about a coach that could recruit at the NAIA level. Coach Dodd is an NAIA Hall of Fame coach. The Tubbster could have used Coach Dodd's recruiting abilities.:thumb:
April 3, 200719 yr At the same time Saul was starting at the point for UK, I believe Lindsey Wilson Coach Steve Dodd had a former Mr. Basketball from WV starting at point guard with a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball as his back up!!!:eek: Talk about a coach that could recruit at the NAIA level. Coach Dodd is an NAIA Hall of Fame coach. The Tubbster could have used Coach Dodd's recruiting abilities.:thumb: Yep, here at Lindsey Wilson College he is right under the current soccer coach in the "godly" category. Soccer has won like 8 national championships, and I'm not even counting soccer championships from the womens side!:eek:
April 3, 200719 yr Anyway, best of luck to Tubby, Saul could be good. He has national championship experience and did a good job at Tennesse Tech.
April 3, 200719 yr The boosters would have freaked out if Tubby had brought Saul into the mix here. It would be as bad or worse than when he played. I can't imagine what would have been said and what would have went on. If he wanted to coach with his son, this was a great move, IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.