OH/KY all star game

Great that a charity benefits from it.

Played in the game and absolutely loved it! My uniform hangs in my office to this day.

At the time I played it was partially sponsored by McDonalds so I just went to my local one for support. It has definitely grown since back in the day and hopefully it will continue to grow.

No pressure for tryouts and an honor to be asked to play. Everyone that can needs to make an effort to go and support these young women and men.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all that know me, you know I don't beat around the bush w/my thoughts and opinions so I will not start now. I just reviewed the roster for the KY team, congrats to all the girls coming to play. I can't believe that 15 of the top 40 players in our state can not come and play in this game. A few aren't even top 100. If it is a financial problems then the committee needs to re-evaluate and come up w/a plan in order to get these young ladies here to put on a great show and represent our state against the WRONG side of the river.

I realize it is Easter weekend(another mishap on the committee's part?) but Easter is Sunday and the festivities are on Fri/Sat. I can't imagine some of the local businesses in NKY not be willing to help out on the finances for this game or even being the main sponsor. This should have been done yrs ago to get a business to be the sponsor to cut down on the players expenses. $10,000 divided up among 5 business, I think that is feasable to pay for the 15 players and 2 coaches for a few days.

For all that know me, you know I don't beat around the bush w/my thoughts and opinions so I will not start now. I just reviewed the roster for the KY team, congrats to all the girls coming to play. I can't believe that 15 of the top 40 players in our state can not come and play in this game. A few aren't even top 100. If it is a financial problems then the committee needs to re-evaluate and come up w/a plan in order to get these young ladies here to put on a great show and represent our state against the WRONG side of the river.

I realize it is Easter weekend(another mishap on the committee's part?) but Easter is Sunday and the festivities are on Fri/Sat. I can't imagine some of the local businesses in NKY not be willing to help out on the finances for this game or even being the main sponsor. This should have been done yrs ago to get a business to be the sponsor to cut down on the players expenses. $10,000 divided up among 5 business, I think that is feasable to pay for the 15 players and 2 coaches for a few days.

1) The game is always the weekend after the Final 4, regardless of Easter.

2) Of the 15 players, they are in the Top 40 SENIORS in KY...maybe a couple are top 50.

3) While it may be easy to get a business to sponsor 15 players and 2 coaches, this event has 60 players and 10-12 coaches that are fed, housed, and clothed. (15 boys KY, 15 boys OH, 15 girls KY, 15 girls OH).

You seem to have all the answers. you should contact Randy Ward, the game director and provide your input!

2) Of the 15 players, they are in the Top 40 SENIORS in KY...maybe a couple are top 50.

3) While it may be easy to get a business to sponsor 15 players and 2 coaches, this event has 60 players and 10-12 coaches that are fed, housed, and clothed. (15 boys KY, 15 boys OH, 15 girls KY, 15 girls OH).

You seem to have all the answers. you should contact Randy Ward, the game director and provide your input!

I have plenty of answers, thank you! I guess I should have been more exact in my comments. I was mainly concerned w/the ky girls team since this is the girls thread. The ky boys would have to get their corporate sponsors and of course, OH can do their own thing to get their kids taken care of. I just think there has to be an easier way to get the best to play. No matter what I will be there to watch, it would just be nice to see KY's best 15 play.

If you think all the girls playing are in the top 40 then I must be watching a totally different game than you. Being from NKY, I am thrilled to see 5 local kids get a chance to shine.

I think 5 Division 1 players on the KY Girls squad is pretty strong. Can't imagine there have been a whole lot more than that in any given year.

I have plenty of answers, thank you! I guess I should have been more exact in my comments. I was mainly concerned w/the ky girls team since this is the girls thread. The ky boys would have to get their corporate sponsors and of course, OH can do their own thing to get their kids taken care of. I just think there has to be an easier way to get the best to play. No matter what I will be there to watch, it would just be nice to see KY's best 15 play.

If you think all the girls playing are in the top 40 then I must be watching a totally different game than you. Being from NKY, I am thrilled to see 5 local kids get a chance to shine.[/quote}\]

Once again

1) The "Top 15" is subjective. Your 15 may differ from mine with a few exceptions.

2) Never, in all the years that I have knowledge of this game, (which is quite a few) have the first 15 kids that have been invited been accepted. I can tell you, my life would be MUCH EASIER if they did!

3) You would be amazed at how well some of the HS coaches get info like this to their players and HOW POORLY others do at it, especially in a timely fashion.

4) Sometimes when alternates are invited, it just makes sense to use local players for a variety of reasons. There are 5 local kids playing. More local kids had the opportunity and declined.

5) The Top 12-13 players will not represent KY in the KY-IN series either because some will choose not to try out for various reasons just like the reasons that some of them chose not to in this game.

6) FYI some girls do not eat, sleep, and drink basketball. What seems like a great opportunity to you/me may not always seem so for a 17 year old girl. LOL Have you ever been a 17 year-old girl? Their priorities are sometimes skewed......LOL

7) Of all of the players that declined, NONE mentioned a sponsorship fee problem. If they had, they would have had help. No player to my knowledge has ever been prevented from playing for that reason. That would be ridiculous. It is a charity game and "charity begins at home". A needy player will always get help........

If you think all the girls playing are in the top 40 then I must be watching a totally different game than you. Being from NKY, I am thrilled to see 5 local kids get a chance to shine.

If you are so "thrilled" to see 5 local kids get to play, why do you keep implying that some of them are not among the top seniors in the state? You are contradicting yourself and speaking from 2 distinctly different orifices!

If you are so "thrilled" to see 5 local kids get to play, why do you keep implying that some of them are not among the top seniors in the state? You are contradicting yourself and speaking from 2 distinctly different orifices!

No implying involved and why do you single out the 5 local kids. My comment was a general statement not geared toward any one group or any one player as you have done.

Amazing, I start the thread to give people more knowledge of this game since it is not publicized well and now I find myself defending my comments/opinions. Maybe I shouldn't have relayed all the info available to my contacts at Ch 9/Ch 64 to try to get some air time to tell the NKY/Cinti area about this game.

Stalkingpanther, sorry for trying to make this event bigger and actually have a crowd this yr. I will stay out of it for now on. You and your committee are on your own.

3ptshooter - thanks for the info, I would not have known about it otherwise, and we will be attending to watch our local all-star and see the others in action.

The thing that I agree with is that everything is expensive when you are dealing with basketball. From Camps to game admission. People think that girls "get noticed" because they are talented but it takes a lot more than that.

GO KY TEAM!

No implying involved and why do you single out the 5 local kids. My comment was a general statement not geared toward any one group or any one player as you have done.

Amazing, I start the thread to give people more knowledge of this game since it is not publicized well and now I find myself defending my comments/opinions. Maybe I shouldn't have relayed all the info available to my contacts at Ch 9/Ch 64 to try to get some air time to tell the NKY/Cinti area about this game.

Stalkingpanther, sorry for trying to make this event bigger and actually have a crowd this yr. I will stay out of it for now on. You and your committee are on your own.

Again, you should get in touch with Randy Ward and join the committee.

The only/first negative comments came from you. (See above) I think the KY team will be fine, the girls will have a great experience, and KY will beat OH AGAIN!

Thanks for all of your help!

Does it say anywhere on the website about the cost of admission?

I am thinking of taking a few girls and I am trying to find out how much it will cost me. I see where the Slam Jam is free..but not the costs on the actual games.

I am probably just missing it..help

Admission was $10 for both games in '06. I rember that because I parked very far away and when I got to the gate all I had was $5 so I had to head back to the car to hit the ATM.

Congratulations to Laura Terry-( Rose Hill), Erika Webb-(West Carter) and Whitney Seals-(Raceland) who will be representing the 16th Region.

Also Congrats to Emily Queen-Rose Hill and Jessica Fortman & Chinwe Okoro-(Russell) who were selected to the team but will not play due to other committments.