OH/KY all star game

Congratulations to Laura Terry-( Rose Hill), Erika Webb-(West Carter) and Whitney Seals-(Raceland) who will be representing the 16th Region.

Also Congrats to Emily Queen-Rose Hill and Jessica Fortman & Chinwe Okoro-(Russell) who were selected to the team but will not play due to other committments.

I will echo those congrats cville. I have said for a long time now that I would take an all star team from te 16th region and play and take my chances vs. anyone. :thumb: Congrats to ALL the girlds that made and to the ones that had prior commitments that will not be playing.

I will also add that I would hope the adults will keep the senseless bickering and complaininmg over who made what and where and when, just give well deserved congrats to the ones that made it and support them.I am not calling out anyone inpaticular here but there does seem to be one group that is always complaining over something and have been all season and I will leave it at that.:sssh: :sssh:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will echo those congrats cville. I have said for a long time now that I would take an all star team from te 16th region and play and take my chances vs. anyone. :thumb: Congrats to ALL the girlds that made and to the ones that had prior commitments that will not be playing.

I will also add that I would hope the adults will keep the senseless bickering and complaininmg over who made what and where and when, just give well deserved congrats to the ones that made it and support them.I am not calling out anyone inpaticular here but there does seem to be one group that is always complaining over something and have been all season and I will leave it at that.:sssh: :sssh:

I wholeheartedly agree with cville and oldrambler that all need to recognize and congratulate those who are honored. The basketball season is over and it is time to move on since the winners have been determined. I'm sure they will agree when I state that there is no need for any more whining, excuses, and/or innuendo. The history of the 2006-2007 season has been recorded.:thumb:

One more question on this subject..their website is a little incomplete.

I found out that the cost is $12.00 (I hope that is right) but does anyone know do you just buy the tickets at the door. I am organizing a bunch of fans from Carroll Co. and I need to make sure that you do not have to advance purchase or anything.

Thanks..

One more question on this subject..their website is a little incomplete.

I found out that the cost is $12.00 (I hope that is right) but does anyone know do you just buy the tickets at the door. I am organizing a bunch of fans from Carroll Co. and I need to make sure that you do not have to advance purchase or anything.

Thanks..

Call Randy Ward but I think you just pay as you come unless they sell tickets on Friday night. The $12 gets you in for both games and, if I am not mistaken, a program also.

Lot of talk about both OH teams beating both KY teams. After watching the festivities tonight, I think OH might have their hands full in both games.

Everyone come out and watch these very talented kids play. Plus, you will get to watch KY's Miss Basketball live, in person before she heads south to play next yr at UNC. There are also several more D1 players in this game on both the men and womens' teams.

It is good to have definitive information. I have a couple more questions.

1. What charity benefits from the games?

2. Is the "$300 worth of gear" paid for as part of the overhead or is it donated?

3. Does Thomas More donate the use of its facilities, since this is a charitable event, or is that charge part of the overhead?

4. Are the expenses of the coaches, referees, tournament staff paid as part of the overhead or is this donated labor?

5. After the overhead is paid, is there anything left for donation to charity?

My questions are out of interest and not meant to be negative toward the event. In fact, I look forward to attending.

Sorry it took me so long to get the answers, but I had to inquire when I got to the game.

1. The charity this year is the Jim Connor Memorial Scholarship Fund at Thomas More. He was the Thomas More AD that the Convocation Center is named for in which the game was held. He was also S. Laurel Coach Steve Wright's high school coach. He spoke fondly of him at the banquet. For many years, when the game was in Portsmouth, the charity was the Ronald McDonald House and the Southern OH McDonalds was one of the main sponsors.

2. The gear is not donated. It must be paid for. Girls got a game uniform, 2 t-shirts, shorts, and a v-neck pullover jacket.

3. Thomas More charges for the use of the facility. However, all of their game staff,donates their time-sports information, stats, etc. Their staff is GREAT! Hats off to their AD, Coaches, Sports Information People, etc.!

4. No one is paid for their labor, not even mileage. Workers are given shirts, jackets, etc. A great many people work all year long to make the event happen. Even the refs donate their labor. Some of them travel long distances paying their own way to donate their time. Coaches, game staff and comittee workers volunteer this for charity, many even taking days off from work to do this.

5. Overhead/expenses FYI......

a)Boys are brought in on Thursday, fed 7 meals plus the banquet, and are housed 2 nights. This includes 30 players (2 per room), about 6-8 coaches and the game staff needed to feed, supervise and coach them (about a dozen people).

b)The girls are brought in on Friday, fed 4 meals plus the banquet, and are housed 1 night. This includes 30 players (2 per room), about 6-8 coaches and the game staff needed to feed, supervise and coach them (about 4-6 additional people).

c)Parents pay $12 for banquet tickets, but the banquet is a major expense because the 60 players and about 20 staff members must be paid for too. Thomas More's food service people cater this and the food was good. They "go in the hole" for this expense......

d)Players have to be transported to all practices and events. Two of Thomas More's buses and drivers were used for this. Again, this had to be paid for.

e)The game was required to purchase a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy that covered all aspects of the game, the players traveling, spectators at the game, etc. I did not get a figure, but I know it was HEFTY-like all other insurance we all have to pay!

f)There will be $ left to donate to the scholarship fund. Randy runs a tight ship!

g)There were meetings with potential sponsors this weekend. The game had no sponsor this year. It did have coverage on the local cable tv station and was broadcast locally. Several other media outlets also were in attendance, both tv & print.

Any more questions?

Again, if you are interested in helping out with the game you should contact Randy Ward. Volunteers like yourself are invaluable to the game!

Thank you, stalkingpanther, for the information. It certainly indicates that this all-star affair is a big undertaking and all involved should be commended. The Jim Connor Memorial Scholarship Fund is an excellent choice as the charity to benefit from the event.

I attended for the first time and am only sorry that I had not done so in the past. Coach Ward and his group of volunteers run a fine event.

Any Bracken County Lady Bears invited to play? I am sure there were a couple..

LadyBearMom, you have to be the greatest fan in America and I commend you for that but let's get realistic. This was an All Star game for the top Sr's in KY, at least for the ones who were able to attend. There were numerous top Sr's unable to attend due to spring break and the Easter weekend.

I don't know if Bracken had any Sr's this yr but they were not on this team. If they are that good they would have been invited to the KY/IN All star tryouts but unfortunately, I did not see any players mentioned from Bracken.

Keep your enthusiasm for the girls, parents like you are needed for all teams across the state.

Some of you have posted that you were disappointed/unimpressed with the play of Laura Terry. I thought she looked uncomfortable on the floor.

I have since learned that she practiced with the team only as a 4 or a 5. However, at game time, she was told that she would play 3.

That fact answers my concerns and should answer yours, also.

Some of you have posted that you were disappointed/unimpressed with the play of Laura Terry. I thought she looked uncomfortable on the floor.

I have since learned that she practiced with the team only as a 4 or a 5. However, at game time, she was told that she would play 3.

That fact answers my concerns and should answer yours, also.

Scooter, I was fortunate enough to attend practice and believe me, it was not a difficult offense Coach Helton put in. As a matter of fact, it was the flex offense w/a couple variations. Therefore, those of you familiar w/the flex offense know that each position is basically interchangeable, so whether you start at the 1,2,3,4 or 5 every position winds up at the other positions in this offense. There really should not have been any confusing on anyone's part. I thought every coach ran flex at one time or another, maybe I am mistaken.

Scooter, I was fortunate enough to attend practice and believe me, it was not a difficult offense Coach Helton put in. As a matter of fact, it was the flex offense w/a couple variations. Therefore, those of you familiar w/the flex offense know that each position is basically interchangeable, so whether you start at the 1,2,3,4 or 5 every position winds up at the other positions in this offense. There really should not have been any confusing on anyone's part. I thought every coach ran flex at one time or another, maybe I am mistaken.

If you saw all the girls "winding up" at 1,2,3,4, and 5, I must assume we attended different games. I don't recall Gray in particular ever at 4 or 5. She was always bringing the ball up the floor and running the offense from out front. But, then, who really cares one way or the other? My point was that it seems unfair for you partisans to hit on Terry. Her record speaks for itself.

If you understand the flex offense you understand what I was trying to say. I am not going into explaining how the offense is run. I fully understand what you are saying and I am not hitting on Laura. I just expected more from her.

No need for your expertise, 3ptshooter. I don't need it. I suppose reality often is as seen in the eyes of the beholder. Actually, there were some highly heralded girls that I would have expected more from in light of the headlines. However, I didn't feel moved to name them. We will just agree to disagree.