KABC "POY" and "COY" awards - 16th Region

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

I guess they sort through the ballots and see who has paid?

Maybe you should call or write them since this is such a big issue every year for some posters.

Not an issue for me, and I was trying to prevent the skew. Maybe I should call. And tell them that I think the award is watered down.

Not an issue for me, and I was trying to prevent the skew. Maybe I should call. And tell them that I think the award is watered down.

I agree.

Two high character young ladies who are Divison I signees won the award. A lot of times class and character are factored in coaches votes.

But go ahead and call.

I agree.

Two high character young ladies who are Divison I signees won the award. A lot of times class and character are factored in coaches votes.

But go ahead and call.

Now, if I took the typical BGP approach, I would come on and lambast Jay Bilas for "implying" that others who may have been considered lost out because they have no class or character.

However, I feel sure that Jay, truly an objective observer with no biases, meant nothing of the kind. I also assume that by "two high character young ladies", he is referring to Raybourn (2006) and Fortman (2007) and I would certainly agree with him on that. :thumb:

I congratulated the ladies, both of them, as well as the coach. Fine selections IMO. So is it your stance that there weren't others worthy of the selection due to their lack of participation in the KABC or lack of "class and character"?

I agree.

But go ahead and call.

As it should be. Who wants a thug representing you? Unless its 20 minutes North East.

From an outsider looking in, seems to me that the parents of the RH players should contact their A.D. so they pay their dues for now on to have their kids eligible to win POY. That's if what I am reading is correct in that the school must be a paid member for the coach/players to be eligible.

I congratulated the ladies, both of them, as well as the coach. Fine selections IMO. So is it your stance that there weren't others worthy of the selection due to their lack of participation in the KABC or lack of "class and character"?

I have no idea who is in KABC or not.

I am happy for Jess because she is such a great person and player as was Brandi.

Obviously the region coaches felt the same way.

Each of the 16th Region coaches are first class people and they are fair and honest. Jessica is very thankful for the honor to be voted for the award and represent the Region.

Whether or not particular area coaches are members of KABC is of no significance. The choice of Fortman for POY was a good one and I don't think anyone can question it. As for COY, I kind of thought, under the circumstances, that Kidwell or Bradley would win it. However, the coaches know more than do I and they chose Trimble. That is fine and I congratulate Coach Trimble.

I had hoped that we could avoid the 2 pages of banter about how one becomes a POY or COY according to the KABC. Just as one is not allowed to win the lottery without paying the $1 to buy the ticket, regardless if you wrote the winning #'s down prior to the drawing. You must be a member of the KABC. We went through this ad nauseum last year with those up in arms that Kala F. didn't win from Rose Hill. Please,,,,,,you are not eligible if you ain't on the ballot. If RH had been part of the KABC, I'd guess Kala would have won, not taking anything from the Comet who did win last year. However, Emily ain't eligible to be voted for if her school isn't a paid member.

Agreed, Spindoc.

Given that it was such a huge deal last year, that RH's coach and player didn't receive this award because their dues weren't paid, one would think the AD at RH would make certain that was taken care of this year...with the talent the team has.

Just to make an already muddled picture even more unclear, I checked the ADIs final regular season stats (2006 - 2007) for both players. Here they are:

Points per game:

Fortman: 21.1 (590 in 28 games)

Queen: 21.7 (456 in 21 games)

Rebounds per game:

Fortman: 9.7 (272 in 28 games)

Queen: 11.8 (249 in 21 games)

Field Goal Percentage:

Fortman: 57.7% (206 of 357)

Queen: 52.3% (176 of 336)

3 Point Percentage:

Fortman: 34.6% (18 of 52)

Queen: Not listed in the top 22 of the region

Free Throw Percentage

Fortman: 82.1% (160 of 195)

Queen: 75% (93 of 124)

Some additional info:

Assists per game:

Fortman: 2.6 (as of Mar. 11 according to Russell High website)

Queen: 2.4 (according to Himmelfarb)

Steals per game:

Fortman: 3.1 (as of Mar. 11 according to Russell High website)

Queen: 3.5 assists (according to Himmelfarb)

Pretty darn close. I personally would not want to make this choice. If I were voting for a high school career I have to go with Queen. But this is a player of the YEAR award. For the 2006-2007 year cut the darn thing in half and give each player a piece.

Its sad that for such a close race someone has to be left out, but isn't it great that 2 players in the 16th have such GREAT stats. It sure has been fun watching these two over the years!!!!!!!

Whether or not particular area coaches are members of KABC is of no significance. The choice of Fortman for POY was a good one and I don't think anyone can question it. As for COY, I kind of thought, under the circumstances, that Kidwell or Bradley would win it. However, the coaches know more than do I and they chose Trimble. That is fine and I congratulate Coach Trimble.

Scooter, don't read anything into this, but I am am curious - what do you mean by "under the circumstances"? And by the way, I also believe that Euton should be right there in the voting.