Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Mercer County

Featured Replies

What does Mercer County need to do to improve in 2007? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters they need to reload in the backfield. They lost their top 3 backs from last season's record setting backfield. They have several backs returning that got some carries including senior to be griffith. They will have to figure out over the summer who will step in as the new qb but, I hear they will have a couple of guys to look at. Trevor short who is a qb with great feet and a strong arm probably will be the favorite. They lost a ton of leadership on the defensive side of the ball. But they have the personell ready to step in there. I look for Rashaad Buster to be the leader of that group. They will still be a very talented team but it will take some time to absorb the loss of so many seniors.

the good is both lines are pretty much intact. LB's are in good shape and RB's will be effective. Bad: the secondary is gone and with it goes the biggest leaders on the team. I foresee the Titans struggling in nondistrict play but will get on track in the second half of the season and make a little noise in the playoffs.

Mercer County should be okay on offense. They are returning Nathan Griffith, Matthew McCloud, and Tyler Mayes for the backfield. Trevor Short will be competing for the QB position against some possible newcomers: Josh Carey, Matthew Robertson, and Ethan Ashford. The offensive line should be okay - returning a lot of experience.

 

On the defensive side of the ball - someone is going to have to step up to be the leader. With Mercer losing 7 of the 11 starters - they are going to have to rebuild, especially with the defensive backfield.

 

With Coach Jaggers - don't worry - he will have them ready come playoff time!

Mercer County should be okay on offense. They are returning Nathan Griffith, Matthew McCloud, and Tyler Mayes for the backfield. Trevor Short will be competing for the QB position against some possible newcomers: Josh Carey, Matthew Robertson, and Ethan Ashford. The offensive line should be okay - returning a lot of experience.

 

On the defensive side of the ball - someone is going to have to step up to be the leader. With Mercer losing 7 of the 11 starters - they are going to have to rebuild, especially with the defensive backfield.

 

With Coach Jaggers - don't worry - he will have them ready come playoff time!

 

 

They do lose "7 out of 11 starters", but we all know that's not like losing 7 out of 11 on offense. Why?! Because of the constant rotation, especially on the defensive line. Mercer will have LB's RaShad Buster, Nick Reed and Tyler Horn at LB's and William Harris on the D'Line. While Andre Brooks, Sam Blackburn and DeMarkus Masterson graduate, Ellis Delahousay, Hunter Robinson, Devan Patton all recieved a great deal of playing time on the defensive front. Now, what Mercer will really miss is the loss of the entire secondary, those are the guys on defense that hardly ever rotate in and out.

The O-line and D-line will be very solid, and will take a lot of pressure off of some of the younger guys. I expedt the O to be strong simply because they will still be a very good running team. On the D-side. They will be hard to run against again next year, but Lewis, Blackburn, Edwards, Arnold, and Smith will be huge shoes to fill.

I heard they don't put a lot of emphasis in their off season weight program. If they expect to compete in 5A, they better step up to the plate. It won't be handed to them in that class. JMO!

I heard they don't put a lot of emphasis in their off season weight program. If they expect to compete in 5A, they better step up to the plate. It won't be handed to them in that class. JMO!

 

 

And I heard, that she heard, that he heard from her, who in turn told him, then to her mom, who said this.....save the crap!

 

Basically, you heard wrong, very wrong. Mercer's off season weight program has a great deal of emphasis put on it. 90% of the current 9-11th graders all have a "weight lifting" class throughout the day, Mercer is on block scheduling, so that gives 1 1/2 hrs a day where the boys are working out. The class/work outs are ran by P.E teacher/trainer/strength and conditioning coach, Todd Davis. He does nothing short of a great job with them, too. If you are familiar at all with Georgetown College's off season program, then you'd be familiar with Mercer's. You ever watch the "Strong Men" competitions on ESPN, well he incoorporates a great deal of those type of things in with you Power Clean, Squats, Bench, Hang Cleans, Dead Lift, Hang Cleans, etc.

 

As for the upcomming freshmen (current 8th graders), they all come in a couple days a week after school.

yes, Mercer's wt program is very solid. I was told some of the power cleans they are putting up and I was very impressed. Mercer also models a lot of what they do after Boyle County's program. Emphasis on athletic power rather than brute strength.

Well for starters they could improve their non-district schedule! I have spoken to several people at Johnson Central that stated Mercer had no interest in playing the Eagles. You would think a state champion would be willing to play any up and coming program without question.

Well for starters they could improve their non-district schedule! I have spoken to several people at Johnson Central that stated Mercer had no interest in playing the Eagles. You would think a state champion would be willing to play any up and coming program without question.

 

As of right now the non district games are Rockcastle, Boyle, Hopkinsville, and Russell County. I know there was some talk of Lexington Catholic, but I think that fell through. I would say the reason that Mercer isn't laying J.C. is because they don't want a 3 hour bus ride. Hopkinsville is already one long hall. I think they can find some good competition closewr to home.

 

You seem to be implying that Mercer is afraid of J.C. If that is the case - you're wrong. If not, then I apologize for reading something into your words.

And I heard, that she heard, that he heard from her, who in turn told him, then to her mom, who said this.....save the crap!

 

 

Easy Killer....I heard it from a VERY reliable source. I guess we will see how Mercer Co. will hold up with a 5A schedule. :thumb:

As of right now the non district games are Rockcastle, Boyle, Hopkinsville, and Russell County. I know there was some talk of Lexington Catholic, but I think that fell through. I would say the reason that Mercer isn't laying J.C. is because they don't want a 3 hour bus ride. Hopkinsville is already one long hall. I think they can find some good competition closewr to home.

 

You seem to be implying that Mercer is afraid of J.C. If that is the case - you're wrong. If not, then I apologize for reading something into your words.

 

I wasn't meaning that Mercer Co. was afraid. Listen I know without a doubt that JCHS contacted Mercer Co. and offered to travel in 07. Mercer Co. still had no interest in playing JCHS. All I was saying is why not play an up and coming team like JCHS? What is the deal?

 

The only reason I could see is that these two could meet in the region final if they both win their playoff games. Still not enough for me. If they played it would be an awesome friday night. Mercer Co. is the one that stands to lose because JCHS fans travel as well as any fans around the state. This game would bring in a huge gate I can assure that.

Maybe they should try to play A or even AA again? LOL

 

(Just Joking. No Harm Intended)

I wasn't meaning that Mercer Co. was afraid. Listen I know without a doubt that JCHS contacted Mercer Co. and offered to travel in 07. Mercer Co. still had no interest in playing JCHS. All I was saying is why not play an up and coming team like JCHS? What is the deal?

 

The only reason I could see is that these two could meet in the region final if they both win their playoff games. Still not enough for me. If they played it would be an awesome friday night. Mercer Co. is the one that stands to lose because JCHS fans travel as well as any fans around the state. This game would bring in a huge gate I can assure that.

 

 

From what I know, the Johnson Central/Mercer talk came about after Mercer had already scheduled Russell County, Boyle, Hoptown and Rockcastle as their non-district part of the schedule, to go along with the likes of Lincoln Co, South Laurel, Southwestern and Pulaski Co. The only spots that would have been open after that would have been Week 2, which is Mercer's bowl game. That week wasn't open for Johnson Central, the only other week open would have been Week 11, the last of the regular season. If that was the case, then I can completely understand Mercer not wanting to schedule a team that they might have turn around and play a couple weeks later in the playoffs...if that even was the reason. To be honest, Im not so sure that it wouldnt be a bad move to not even play Week 11, v.s a non-district team that has absolutely no bearing on the postseason. Give your kids that extra week rest, and get ready for the big dance. That seems like a very logical move to me?!?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.