Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Search Committees for Open Jobs

Featured Replies

Search committees have traditionally played a significant role in hiring decisions within schools, particularly for administrative positions such as principals or athletic directors. In many cases, these committees include teachers, administrators, and sometimes even community members to help ensure multiple perspectives are considered during the hiring process.

In the context of athletics, booster clubs have also historically had influence in coaching searches, either formally through committees or informally through community input. However, as school structures evolve and accountability standards increase, it raises the question of how common these practices still are today.

Do schools and athletic programs still rely on search committees when hiring coaches or administrators? Additionally, what role, if any, should booster clubs have in the hiring process? I’m interested to hear how this works in different districts and whether people think these groups add value or create complications in hiring decisions.

In my experience as of late, The schools post it to their websites and wait for applicants and perhaps see it as if they have to beg for applicants, they probably shouldn't be applying for that position anyway. 

If that booster club consists of a bunch of rich parents with middle school and high school aged students, they need to be as far away from the hiring process as possible.

In the three head coaching searches I have been somewhat privy to, all in smaller non powerhouse central KY teams, schools post it, await applicants, the AD, principal or Super will be the only three to do interviews or any communications. Boosters, parents, anyone else had zero say and input was discouraged. 

There is no reason for there to be anybody but Superintendent, Principal, and AD involved in the hiring of a coach.  If there is then you should decline the offer and run.

  • Author
1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

There is no reason for there to be anybody but Superintendent, Principal, and AD involved in the hiring of a coach.  If there is then you should decline the offer and run.

I have seen several places have the basketball coach sit in. Thoughts on this?

I think in certain cases like retirement, I could see the previous coach sitting in as well.

I have been on both sides of this process. In a smaller district, the Principal/AD/Supt is fine, but I still think a trusted booster parent and/or assistant coach who isn't interested in the job is helpful. 

In larger districts, the Super has no business in interviews. It should be the Principal/AD and two other people, whether they are assistants, parents, or coaches of other sports, who KNOW sports and the program, that can offer insight. 

2 hours ago, AppalachianTactician said:

I have seen several places have the basketball coach sit in. Thoughts on this?

He better be a long tenured fixture in the school with a history of working with getting basketball players to play football and vice versa. That'd be insane otherwise.

19 hours ago, Pi said:

I have been on both sides of this process. In a smaller district, the Principal/AD/Supt is fine, but I still think a trusted booster parent and/or assistant coach who isn't interested in the job is helpful. 

In larger districts, the Super has no business in interviews. It should be the Principal/AD and two other people, whether they are assistants, parents, or coaches of other sports, who KNOW sports and the program, that can offer insight. 

I don't think an assistant should be in the interview process but I see no problem with them to help screen applicants to be interviewed.

I think that every school and situation is different.  Some schools have "football" people in administrative positions who feel confident making hires.

Some schools have non football folks in these positions and probably need to enlist help from others in making a quality decision.

Some schools have very involved boosters who may not have kids in the program but have vested interest, therefore their voice may be legit. 

For Principals and Supers who want to make the best hire, I think it is imperative they understand their own strengths/weaknesses, and gather people accordingly to help with the process.  This is much easier said than done!

I go back to college athletics often when I think about this topic. 

Take yourself back to April of 2024, when UK hired Mark Pope. The fans probably had a list of names, and very few had Mark Pope on the list. But at UK, The AD, School President, and a select handful of decision makers had other plans. So they did their process and hired Mark Pope. 

Now to our topic, which is high school athletics and hiring committees. I think you can have too many opinions. I have seen hiring committees with 15 people, 10 people, 5 people, and 1 person. I think 1 is too few, and 15 is too high. I think you need to keep things condensed, simple, and least "personal" as you can when hiring a new coach. 

Point being, I believe the Principal, AD, and 1 random parent representative are required, and 1 teacher representative (from the coaches department they will be working within) can be present, and that should be your committee. 

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a respected coach from the school system in on hiring committees.  They know the school and the administration and what they're looking for.  Some of the time the administration are curriculum based people, and a coach can have valid interview questions. 

I think it may be wise to bring an outside person (coach) in to ask the X & O questions.  Most administrators are clueless to the game itself, even the athletic directors.  

I think a parent or community member is very bad idea.  Giving anyone a voice outside of the school is giving away too much power.  I would imagine that same person will be the first one complaining when things go south.

19 hours ago, Footballfan5 said:

I think it may be wise to bring an outside person (coach) in to ask the X & O questions.  Most administrators are clueless to the game itself, even the athletic directors.  

I think a parent or community member is very bad idea.  Giving anyone a voice outside of the school is giving away too much power.  I would imagine that same person will be the first one complaining when things go south.

I think that may be my biggest issue with no outside voices. Many supers, ADs, etc do not know the game enough to hire some competent. I interviewed for HC at a small school once, and while most of the panel had no say in the final hire, they brought in 2 guys who had coaching experience to at least ask "football" questions.  Yes, most of the HC's job doesn't involve X's and O's (parent issues, fund raising, travel, what have you) it was nice to know they at least cared about my thoughts on scheme and player development. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.