Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock

Featured Replies

I agree that with most teams playing an uptempo style it really will only come into play at the end of each quarter.  Coaches will need to learn and teach when to push for a 2-to-1 possession advantage at the end of quarters. 

I assume the KHSAA will mandate some type of minimum clock requirements, so I don't think temporary or cheap versions will be allowed.  I've seen cost estimates between $2000 and $10,000.  The cost is dependent on the age of the gym and the system already in place.  Some of the newer gyms will be more plug-and-play while older gyms will require additional electrical work.  No idea about middle school gyms.  It will certainly require a dedicated operator.  Will this be a paid and trained position?  This could be a way for older refs who are physically unable to get up and down the court to remain in the game.

On 2/3/2026 at 3:40 PM, 4 Quarters said:

First and foremost, I am not a fan of it.

However, my thoughts are about the same of yours.  I have watched several games where it has been used and I really don't believe it will have any or a very small effect on the final scores.  I believe it will make the games longer as every one works thru the learning process which will take some time.  It will add an extra burden on the schools with costs and operators of the clock.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the shot clock, but I don't agree with the "if it isn't broke" thought. Whether it's you, your company, whatever, you constantly have to keep evolving and improving. Nothing worse than beoming stagnate. Because eventually, everything wears out or breaks. Better to evolve on your terms rather than waiting until something completely breaks.

29 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm not necessarily a fan of the shot clock, but I don't agree with the "if it isn't broke" thought. Whether it's you, your company, whatever, you constantly have to keep evolving and improving. Nothing worse than beoming stagnate. Because eventually, everything wears out or breaks. Better to evolve on your terms rather than waiting until something completely breaks.

No, I'm not against evolving and improving, but sometimes that plan doesn't always work in your favor.  There are still 20 some states that don't use the shot clock.  There are only a hand full of states that don't use the class system for basketball, we're included in that group.  Do we need to join the group in the class system, knowing full well that it would wreck the sweet sixteen, the KHASS cash cow.  I was at a game last night, they didn't even have the concession stand open, I'm just guessing they couldn't find volunteers to operate it.  What happens if this was the shot clock?

The shot clock should be handled by the refs.

Either going to a 2 person on court crew w SC operator or going 4 person crew with one being SC operator.

Using retired/retiring refs is a good thought!

 

27 minutes ago, Falcon Pride said:

The shot clock should be handled by the refs.

Either going to a 2 person on court crew w SC operator or going 4 person crew with one being SC operator.

Using retired/retiring refs is a good thought!

 

There is no way you can back to a 2 man crew, you actually need a 4 man crew today.  You could never find enough retired/retiring refs to work the clocks, and if you could who's going to pay them.  Half of the games don't produce enough money at the gate to cover costs as the stand now.

4 refs? Many of the folks we have now don’t hustle and you’re advocating for another one? 

As with everything it comes down to money so (I’ll just leave it at that)

 

  • Author
On 2/3/2026 at 9:40 PM, 4 Quarters said:

Most average HS teams can't hold the ball for 30 seconds anyway.

That is kind of funny and oh so true! ha

This came across my MaxPreps feed.

I follow, for various reasons, some basketball out west. Some of them probably benefit from a shot clock.

I'm not yet convinced it's a "must have" in the Bluegrass. 

img_3_1770482824641.jpg

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.