Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shot Clock

Featured Replies

From what I hear the KHSAA has approved the shot clock. I saw it in action at the LIT, and in the two games that I saw (Oldham co and North Oldham, and Web Dubois and Butler) it did not factor at all. In fact; I don't think I saw one possession that the clock created a rushed shot. All four teams played at a high pace anyway. I guess a team that wants to ball control and take the air out of it this could effect them quite negatively. 

I remember my junior year in high school we were playing a top ten ranked Fairdale and we attempted to ball control. It worked for about 3 quarters as we kept it pretty close. I think they ended up getting some steals in the 4th and beating us something like 42-29 or something close to that score. They would have beaten us by 25-30 points had we not slowed the game down. I do distinctly remember not feeling good about it, and in some ways feeling like we weren't being pure to the game in some ways. 

I watched Anderson county live once and once by stream. They do to some extent ball control, but they run these really good horn sets and just work the ball around til they get the shot they want. They do full court press some and trapped in the half court some. I actually really enjoyed watching them play. I didn't feel they were trying to "cheat the game" if you will but rather not take any bad possessions. The shot clock will certainly though effect them. I actually thought they kind of captured the lost art of making each play count. This opposed to some of the high ball screen action, rip through get to the rim or hook pass to the wing for a 3. If you watch any AAU ball or alot of high school ball this is primarily what you see these days. Some good, and some just sloppy garbage. 

The game evolves weather we like it or not. I am all for it evolving ( though most AAU Ball lacks fundamentals but that's for another post)

I am just very interested in your all`s opinion of it, and how you think it will positively or negatively effect the game in Kentucky.

First and foremost, I am not a fan of it.

However, my thoughts are about the same of yours.  I have watched several games where it has been used and I really don't believe it will have any or a very small effect on the final scores.  I believe it will make the games longer as every one works thru the learning process which will take some time.  It will add an extra burden on the schools with costs and operators of the clock.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

  • Author
35 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

First and foremost, I am not a fan of it.

However, my thoughts are about the same of yours.  I have watched several games where it has been used and I really don't believe it will have any or a very small effect on the final scores.  I believe it will make the games longer as every one works thru the learning process which will take some time.  It will add an extra burden on the schools with costs and operators of the clock.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

You know I didn't think about the expense. Every school is going to have to buy those, and nothing is cheap these days. 

4 hours ago, KY_Wildcats said:

You know I didn't think about the expense. Every school is going to have to buy those, and nothing is cheap these days. 

I would assume you would also equip middle school gyms with a shot clock to prepare those kids for HS or in a place like Campbell County where big crowd games (Brossart) are played in the middle school.

I think it becomes a factor at the end of games where team has the lead and just keeps passing it to drain the clock. St. X used to play stall ball and I wanted a shot clock because was tired of watching it, but now they play fast so doesn't matter until end of game where try and drain clock with lead. 

I think that in some cases it will benefit teams with good defenses.  If you can force the other team to work it around for thirty seconds looking for a good shot then when the time pressure kicks in it will only help your cause.  

38 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I would assume you would also equip middle school gyms with a shot clock to prepare those kids for HS or in a place like Campbell County where big crowd games (Brossart) are played in the middle school.

There are mobile units out there.

27 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think it becomes a factor at the end of games where team has the lead and just keeps passing it to drain the clock. St. X used to play stall ball and I wanted a shot clock because was tired of watching it, but now they play fast so doesn't matter until end of game where try and drain clock with lead. 

To me stall ball at the end of a game is just part of the strategy as an intentional walk in baseball.

21 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

I think that in some cases it will benefit teams with good defenses.  If you can force the other team to work it around for thirty seconds looking for a good shot then when the time pressure kicks in it will only help your cause.  

Most average HS teams can't hold the ball for 30 seconds anyway.

Should have already happened, Ky always stays a step behind. Make an adjustment and play on.

5 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

Should have already happened, Ky always stays a step behind. Make an adjustment and play on.

Currently Indiana and Ohio do not use the shot clock, are we really a step behind?

They both will have the shot clock very soon.

On 2/3/2026 at 3:05 PM, KY_Wildcats said:

From what I hear the KHSAA has approved the shot clock. I saw it in action at the LIT, and in the two games that I saw (Oldham co and North Oldham, and Web Dubois and Butler) it did not factor at all. In fact; I don't think I saw one possession that the clock created a rushed shot. All four teams played at a high pace anyway. I guess a team that wants to ball control and take the air out of it this could effect them quite negatively. 

I remember my junior year in high school we were playing a top ten ranked Fairdale and we attempted to ball control. It worked for about 3 quarters as we kept it pretty close. I think they ended up getting some steals in the 4th and beating us something like 42-29 or something close to that score. They would have beaten us by 25-30 points had we not slowed the game down. I do distinctly remember not feeling good about it, and in some ways feeling like we weren't being pure to the game in some ways. 

I watched Anderson county live once and once by stream. They do to some extent ball control, but they run these really good horn sets and just work the ball around til they get the shot they want. They do full court press some and trapped in the half court some. I actually really enjoyed watching them play. I didn't feel they were trying to "cheat the game" if you will but rather not take any bad possessions. The shot clock will certainly though effect them. I actually thought they kind of captured the lost art of making each play count. This opposed to some of the high ball screen action, rip through get to the rim or hook pass to the wing for a 3. If you watch any AAU ball or alot of high school ball this is primarily what you see these days. Some good, and some just sloppy garbage. 

The game evolves weather we like it or not. I am all for it evolving ( though most AAU Ball lacks fundamentals but that's for another post)

I am just very interested in your all`s opinion of it, and how you think it will positively or negatively effect the game in Kentucky.

Watching Anderson live against the weak competition they have played year was probably more than enough!

I am not a fan of the shot clock either.  I might be proven wrong on this but I think it will help the better teams more than the struggling teams.  Maybe not as many upsets.

So glad the shot clock is coming to the state of Kentucky.  I only wish it was in place now.  Makes a more enjoyable style to play and watch.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.