Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7th/8th grade resolution failed?

Featured Replies

I have heard that the proposal to lock 7th and 8th grade athletes into the transfer rule regarding high school (you sit a year upon a transfer absent a bona fide residence change) did not pass today.

 

I have a 6th grade kid and was curious if this was true. Anyone?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard that the proposal to lock 7th and 8th grade athletes into the transfer rule regarding high school (you sit a year upon a transfer absent a bona fide residence change) did not pass today.

 

I have a 6th grade kid and was curious if this was true. Anyone?

From whom, KDE, Board of Control?.....
  • Author

I'm not sure at what level the resolution was...sorry for being clueless...just that it was rejected at whatever level it was presented. My information came from a high school coach in our area (13th region).

I'm not sure at what level the resolution was...sorry for being clueless...just that it was rejected at whatever level it was presented. My information came from a high school coach in our area (13th region).
Keep us posted....:thumb:
I have heard that the proposal to lock 7th and 8th grade athletes into the transfer rule regarding high school (you sit a year upon a transfer absent a bona fide residence change) did not pass today.

 

I have a 6th grade kid and was curious if this was true. Anyone?

 

 

It hasn't been acted on at all. According to the webcast, it is simply being "reviewed" at the February meeting, which means no vote was taken. So it wasn't rejected, nor was it accepted. on the webcast, the chairman said they would vote in April.

I hope this fails, rediculous if you ask me.

I hope this fails, rediculous if you ask me.

 

I agree.

I have a junior high student (Catholic grade school) that I am 99% sure will go to a private Catholic HS. That being said, if he DID go to a public school and was told he could not play sports for a year, I would be the first guy in line with my attorney. My tax dollars fund public schools just as much as the tax dollars of those people who send their kids to public grade schools. For those kids to be able to play and deny my kids the same opportunity? The Board of Control would have to have a team of morons advising them if they think the courts would side with them.

I have a junior high student (Catholic grade school) that I am 99% sure will go to a private Catholic HS. That being said, if he DID go to a public school and was told he could not play sports for a year, I would be the first guy in line with my attorney. My tax dollars fund public schools just as much as the tax dollars of those people who send their kids to public grade schools. For those kids to be able to play and deny my kids the same opportunity? The Board of Control would have to have a team of morons advising them if they think the courts would side with them.

At the expense of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I really believe that this is what the proponents are counting on. Since it has been shown that a large majority of students that change after 8th grade go from private schools to public schools it would definitely seen to be a case of slicing off ones nose to spite ones face. I think that they believe that the stance of going from private to public will not stand up in court because public school services can't be denied to anyone while the public to private change would stand up because the parents knowingly made the change knowing the ramifications and also knowing that equal access does not apply to private schools. I would be very surprised if the public side doesn't already have their "victim" ready to go.

At the expense of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I really believe that this is what the proponents are counting on. Since it has been shown that a large majority of students that change after 8th grade go from private schools to public schools it would definitely seen to be a case of slicing off ones nose to spite ones face. I think that they believe that the stance of going from private to public will not stand up in court because public school services can't be denied to anyone while the public to private change would stand up because the parents knowingly made the change knowing the ramifications and also knowing that equal access does not apply to private schools. I would be very surprised if the public side doesn't already have their "victim" ready to go.

Just one problem. The private schools felt that this was so unfair that they asked that the proposal apply ONLY to students going from public tp private. Mr. Sears turned it down flat.

The issue I have is that sports are an extracurricular activity. If they are going to do this to athletes, I think it's only fair that the same applies for kids who play chess, are on the debate team, and quick recall (for example).

The issue I have is that sports are an extracurricular activity. If they are going to do this to athletes, I think it's only fair that the same applies for kids who play chess, are on the debate team, and quick recall (for example).

Only if those groups have to abide by ALL the rules that sports have to follow. Drug testing, grade requirements, attendance requirements etc.

Only if those groups have to abide by ALL the rules that sports have to follow. Drug testing, grade requirements, attendance requirements etc.

 

I didn't realize the issue was the requirements of the activities, I thought it was to keep either side from having an advantage over th other.

I didn't realize the issue was the requirements of the activities, I thought it was to keep either side from having an advantage over th other.

At public schools at least, the sports side of the issue and the other extracurricular activities battle all the time. They want to hold the athletes to a hard GPA while allowing band members, the officers of clubs and the like to no or little standards.

 

You probably stepped into a battle that has been fought at MANY public schools that you didn't realize you were stepping into.

 

They will want to bench the athlete for getting an F but the tuba player can have a .7 GPA and still march on Saturday.

 

I have sat on numerous committees concerning that issue.

 

I apologize if I jumped too quickly on it.

At public schools at least, the sports side of the issue and the other extracurricular activities battle all the time. They want to hold the athletes to a hard GPA while allowing band members, the officers of clubs and the like to no or little standards.

 

You probably stepped into a battle that has been fought at MANY public schools that you didn't realize you were stepping into.

 

They will want to bench the athlete for getting an F but the tuba player can have a .7 GPA and still march on Saturday.

 

I have sat on numerous committees concerning that issue.

 

I apologize if I jumped too quickly on it.

 

Well, you're right...I had no idea what I was stepping in. I should have looked first! :D

 

Seriously, there should be, at the minimum, GPA requirements!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.