Should Tubby Go after more In state Recruits?

ADopted ADmiral

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How good could this team be with Bud Mackey in 2 or 3 years?? Very good!! Tubby should do everything in his power to make sure he doesn't go to Indiana! Bud can do it all. He had Mayo in check most of the night.

UK fans do not want Kids from KY unless they are Mcdonalds All Americans,or in the top 100 propects!

Two, I think.

I know that Sears and Lemaster were, but I thought maybe Chiles and Tackett were too... I don't think Tubby really went out of his way to recruit these kids, they were just trying to live out a dream. It's the kids that want to actually play college ball that Tubby should go after...not just the ones who want a front row seat in Rupp.

So then your saying UK should not recruit any In state Players because of past experience's? But we can recruit bad players from a assortment of different States and Countrys?

What I'm saying is, Tubby gets blasted for not recruiting enough in-state players. When he recruits in-state players like Carrier, Stockton, and Chiles, he gets blasted for even offering them a scholarship. I'm sure we can dig up a few threads from the past 3-4 years about what UK fans thought of Carrier and Stockton.

I don't think it's a problem of Tubby (and staff) not recruiting ENOUGH in-state players. They just aren't getting the RIGHT in-state players.

What I'm saying is, Tubby gets blasted for not recruiting enough in-state players. When he recruits in-state players like Carrier, Stockton, and Chiles, he gets blasted for even offering them a scholarship. I'm sure we can dig up a few threads from the past 3-4 years about what UK fans thought of Carrier and Stockton.

I don't think it's a problem of Tubby (and staff) not recruiting ENOUGH in-state players. They just aren't getting the RIGHT in-state players.

I agree 100%:thumb:

I really, really feel the answer is yes...there are so many tremendous basketball players right here in the commonwealth, that if he got 2-3 a year to come to UK, and buy into his system, he is a good enough (great actually, IMO) game coach, to make some serious runs at the title....these kids in this state bleed Kentucky basketball....let them become statewide legends, like the unforgettables, who were a much better team than the current one.

I think that your logic regarding in-state recruits is flawed. Outside of Lofton, I cannot think of any KY kids who have made much of an impact in NCAA Hoops lately. From what info I can gather in-state kids don't really determine how good your team will be unless the in-state kids are also the best kids. Take a look at the current AP top 15.

Florida - 20% of starters from Florida

Wisconsin - 60% of starter from Wisconsin

North Carolina - 20% of starters from North Carolina

Ohio State - 60% of starters from Ohio

UCLA - 80% of starters from California

Kansas - 0% of starters from Kansas

Pittsburg - 40% of starters from Pennsylvania

Duke - 0% of starters from North Carolina

Oregon - 20% of starters from Oregon

Texas A&M - 80% of starters from Texas

Memphis - 20% of starters from Tennessee

Oklahoma St. - 0% of starters from Oklahoma

Butler - 40% of starters from Indiana

Marquette - 20% of starters from Wisconsin

Nevada - 0% of starters from Nevada

So as you can see looking at the top ranked teams, the amount of in-state recruits appears to have little bearing on the success of the team. Noteably the two teams with the highest percentage of in-state starters are also two of the most populated states in the country. Even more telling is the fact that of these 15 schools, NOT ONE has a players that starts from the state of Kentucky. It's not that Tubby has missed out on in-state kids (Lofton excepted), there just hasn't been much talent over the last several years.

Maybe the problem is selection of players.....I keep referencing Coach K, but also look at Roy Williams, they select players that they think can help the TEAM...and its needs immediately....UK and UL don't seem to be doing that lately....they need to re-launch their recruiting efforts at filling holes, and in an immediate impact.

I want Mackey. He was great last night! Indiana has a good player. I've heard that UK is still "recruiting" him along with Louisville. I would love to get him out of his "verbal" to Indiana and have him in Blue and White in a couple years from now.

:thumb: You are right about Mackey. He was fantastic in last nights game and his post game interview was all class!!!