Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball Spitting

Featured Replies

What is the deal with spitting in baseball? Hunter Greene spit more in his 4 innings tonight than I have spit in my entire life, and I am beyond middle age. I get it if you are chewing on sunflower seeds but almost all of these guys in baseball are just spitting. I don't even know how you could make that much spit happen. It's a mystery to to me. 

I've never understood it either. Obviously when I had seeds I would spit those out, but I never just spit for no reason. 

Do players still use smokeless tobacco? I assume some do, but figured that was a bygone practice given how in tune pro athletes are with their health today. But yeah, spitting just to spit has always been one of life's great mysteries.

2 hours ago, bugatti said:

Do players still use smokeless tobacco? I assume some do, but figured that was a bygone practice given how in tune pro athletes are with their health today. But yeah, spitting just to spit has always been one of life's great mysteries.

I think smokeless tobacco is banned on the field in all levels of minor league baseball, but not MLB. Obviously those players might still do it away from the stadium.

  • Author

I honestly don't know how they generate that much spit. How is it even humanly possible?

Baseball is played, mostly, in the summer.   It's hot, you're sweaty and you get dirt and grass and crud in your mouth so you spit it out.  Players also chew on seeds and/or gum and probably hydrate with water and sports drinks and IVs.   No lack of liquids.   They are also standing on the field fairly separated from their teammates so when one let's fly, you notice.   Football players probably spit just as much, but they are generally in a pile when the chance to do so happens and they have helmets on covering their head and mouth areas.

Basketball players really don't, but they play in only bursts before a timeout happens every 4 to 8 minutes.  Then they can sit on the bench and take care of all that.

You oughta watch an EPL match.   With those guys it’s nose blowing. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.