Lyon County 45 Ashland 43 (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®)

On 3/20/2024 at 5:53 PM, Oldercoach said:

Granted I watched the game on NFHS so unable to see the attitude issues you did.  Can you be more specific about what you saw.

Lots of walking around ... I mean a lot.... and the famous "but ref I got fouled" look pretty much all the time. I have tried to keep up with Lyon County and Perry the last two years ...it wasn't much different from what I have seen. Taking the 26 footer when you could have passed to someone who had a better shot happened more than I have seen in a lot of seasons combined ... and it was more than one guy who did that. That feels more like ME than WE to me. It didn't stop either ....not a lot of good decisions ...(It felt like something they have gotten away with doing for a long time ... yet no one has ever pointed out that the shear chances aren't in their favor). Teams that win championships don't makes bad decisions like that ....and if they do ...they usually learn from them quickly. I don't think that happened today.

Maybe it has to do with being a football guy at a school that works to eliminate poor body language ... but that's what it felt and looked like to me (I guess that could be a "basketball thing" and not something specific to Lyon County). 

I grew up watching Clay County ...and there was definitely a swagger to those guys and I hoped I would feel the same way about Lyon County. I didn't. But this deal today felt different than Clay County in the late 80s. By halftime I wanted Ashland to win. They played hard, were gritty and it felt like they were selfless to me. Never got that feeling from the other team. 

Again, my opinion and I am very open to being wrong.

I went back and watched the end of the game and the poor announcers for the last 3 minutes of real time continued to say that the last drive was by Travis Perry and they would give him player of the game if he hit both FT's lol He never had or even touched the ball the last minute. They finally caught their mistake as Shoulders was shooting the 2nd FT. Hilarious  

Also while watching it again online the layup that Freize missed with about a minute to go the main reason he missed it was he received a two hand push in the back by #5 Jake Reddick that was not called.

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Also while watching it again online the layup that Freize missed with about a minute to go the main reason he missed it was he received a two hand push in the back by #5 Jake Reddick that was not called.

He touched him with his forearm but didn't extend his arms.  I didn't think it justified a foul call.  

If you watch closely you'll see that #1 for Ashland walked on that same trip down the floor.  

17 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I went back and watched the end of the game and the poor announcers for the last 3 minutes of real time continued to say that the last drive was by Travis Perry and they would give him player of the game if he hit both FT's lol He never had or even touched the ball the last minute. They finally caught their mistake as Shoulders was shooting the 2nd FT. Hilarious  

I knew something was wrong because he was point blank angle to an easy shot and missed badly. 

• Like 1