Newport 54 Covington Holy Cross 14

dshoe40

• theguru changed the title to Newport vs. Covington Holy Cross Updates
  • theguru changed the title to Newport 54 Covington Holy Cross 14

Here is the stat summary for the game.

https://www.turbostats.team/football/covingtonholycross/hc indians 2023_game11_box.html

This afternoon's game was played at Highlands High School to allow Newport to be the home team as the second seed in their district.  For the second week in a row, Newport defeats Covington Holy Cross, this time 54-14.  The score was very close in the first half with Newport leading 20-14 at the end of the 2nd quarter.  However, in the second half, Newport explodes for 34 unanswered points.  QB Kyle Lee runs for 2 TDs and passes 13-22 for 216 yards and one score.  Wildcat RB/WR Rodzion Thompson ran for 2 other touchdowns.  The Wildcat defense was relentless in the second half sacking HC QB Donavan Ambrocio 7 times.  For the Indians, WR Davonte Ryan had 4 catches for 86 yards and 1 TD.

Newport (8-3) will play at Ludlow next Friday night in the second round of the playoffs.  Covington Holy Cross finishes their season at 5-6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Breds82 said:

Congrats to the Cats. Keep the momentum going. If both NewCath and Newport win next week, how does the RPI shake out for them. I keep thinking the RPI isn’t until the semis.

The Bethlehem/KCD game is going to be the deciding factor. Bethlehem wins then NewCath at Newport. If KCD wins then NewCath goes to Campbellsville and Newport to KCD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBearsFavoriteHat said:

The Bethlehem/KCD game is going to be the deciding factor. Bethlehem wins then NewCath at Newport. If KCD wins then NewCath goes to Campbellsville and Newport to KCD

I understand this a theoretical post, but let’s not put the cart before the horse. Newport has to beat a rising Ludlow team first, and that will be no small feat. 

Newport got the W in the score book, but the game was more about Ludlow losing than Newport winning. The Cats are going to need to step up their game another notch or three to win this one. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I wonder what the difference is and if it is coaching. 

I believe a couple starters for the Indians weren’t there today. Don’t know what if that was the difference, but it they’re starters it played into the final score. 

• Thanks 1