January 15, 200719 yr I give the Colts credit for picking up 2 playoff wins when Manning has been UNManning like. But there is no way that defense has magically flipped a switch and improved that much against the run. This team will get torched whether its this week or against the Saints/Bears, they will lose because of that run defense. Philly had the 2nd worst run defense in the league and we saw what New Orleans did to them. The only way the Colts win the whole thing is if Manning puts them on his back and carries them to 30-35 points while his defense gives up 28. We have seen Manning with all the pressure on him and it has not gone well. This is what cracks me up. Philly got lit up against the Giants too, the Colts haven't been lit up yet in the playoffs. Once the playoffs start everything starts over except for one thing, the critics of the Colts. Yes they had a bad defensive season in the regular season but they had some injuries that hurt them. If you've not been watching the playoffs or any of the Colts games then you missed that they only allowed 44 total rushing yards to the Chiefs and only 83 total rushing yards to the Ravens. Both teams have great running backs. Now why do they still have to be said as having a horrible run defense? It doesn't make sense to me and it shows that people just don't like the Colts and don't want to give them any credit.
January 15, 200719 yr This is what cracks me up. Philly got lit up against the Giants too, the Colts haven't been lit up yet in the playoffs. Once the playoffs start everything starts over except for one thing, the critics of the Colts. Yes they had a bad defensive season in the regular season but they had some injuries that hurt them. If you've not been watching the playoffs or any of the Colts games then you missed that they only allowed 44 total rushing yards to the Chiefs and only 83 total rushing yards to the Ravens. Both teams have great running backs. Now why do they still have to be said as having a horrible run defense? It doesn't make sense to me and it shows that people just don't like the Colts and don't want to give them any credit. Their track record is why people are skeptical. They've been a front-runner for several years now and have always failed to get it done, whether it's at home or on the road. The defense has played well at times before, but they usually don't keep it going. History is why we doubt...and for good reason. Until the Colts prove otherwise, it's always going to be that way. They have another chance to put all that to rest this weekend. We'll see if they do, but until then, anyone who thinks the Patriots will win because they have proven to be a clutch team and the Colts have not is fully justified in doing so, IMO. Personally, this is a hard game to pick for that reason. The Patriots haven't been overwhelming at any point during this season, yet here they are with a 14-4 record in the AFC Title game yet again. Tom Brady has only lost one playoff game...Belichik is the premiere coach in the NFL, and the team as a whole has proven itself time and time again when the stakes are the highest. The Colts, on the other hand, are a more impressive team on paper and they have home field, but...Manning has repeatedly underperformed when the stakes get higher, Tony Dungy has never been able to get it done in the playoffs with very talented teams, and the Colt defense, while good at times, can be exploited in big ways. They have beat New England 2 (or is it 3) times in a row. On paper, it points to an Indy win, but if it was played on paper, Indy would have a Super Bowl title by now. I haven't been impressed enough with the Patriots this year to feel as confident as I have in the past that they will beat the Colts, but I can't pick the Colts because they have never proven that they can get it done when it counts. It should be interesting.
January 15, 200719 yr But what about if the Colts beat the Patriots, there are still going to be people on BGP that down the defense, even if they play good again. I for one am on with the Colts defense simply because it stepped up against two great running back teams. Could they have done it against the Chargers? Probably not but that was a matchup I was wanting to see.
January 15, 200719 yr 6-9 100 yards and a TD in the final 7 minutes against the Chargers. He had a very bad game, but when it came time for crunch time and SD gave him a chance he stepped up. A chance! They gave him a lot more than a chance.
January 15, 200719 yr But what about if the Colts beat the Patriots, there are still going to be people on BGP that down the defense, even if they play good again. I for one am on with the Colts defense simply because it stepped up against two great running back teams. Could they have done it against the Chargers? Probably not but that was a matchup I was wanting to see. It honestly was a case of the inablility of Trent Green and Steve McNair to exploit the single coverage on the outside. The Colts put 8 or 9 people in the box all day long against the Chiefs and the Ravens. Any NFL team can stop the run like that but they have to give up something in pass coverage, Brady is much better equipped to exploit those matchups--I think Indy's offense will have to win this one.
January 15, 200719 yr McNair tried to exploit the pass coverage and was picked off atleast 2 or 3 times that I know of.
January 15, 200719 yr But what about if the Colts beat the Patriots, there are still going to be people on BGP that down the defense, even if they play good again. I for one am on with the Colts defense simply because it stepped up against two great running back teams. Could they have done it against the Chargers? Probably not but that was a matchup I was wanting to see. They did step up, but there are reasons to still be skeptical despite that. I think those teams may have over-emphasized pounding the ball, to the detriment of taking advantage of what Indy was giving them. When a team stacks 8 or 9 in the box all game, it's hard to run against them...you almost have to pass and make them pay for it to get them to back off. Then you can run the ball. I'm not sure KC or Baltimore done that. Plus, neither of those offenses are as good or as balanced/diverse as what NE will bring to the game Sunday. The Patriots have a formidable RB duo with Dillon and Marony, along with the best QB in the NFL, an emerging receiving unit and some good TE's. They can beat you by pounding the ball or spreading you out and throwing the ball (downfield or underneath). Simply put, the Patriots are better than the Colts previous two opponents and they present a lot more problems. Baltimore's defense is better than New England's, but Bill and the Pats are still one of the best units in the NFL...and he has shown time and again that he can frustrate Peyton. I don't think the Colt defense played as bad as people said in their last playoff loss to New England...I put that one on the offense and the 3 points they scored. The Colt D held NE to 6 points in the first half, but Peyton and company simply couldn't keep them off the field...that defense isn't built to thrive in a grind it out game when it's on the field for 35-40 minutes. The offense blew that one...
January 15, 200719 yr McNair tried to exploit the pass coverage and was picked off atleast 2 or 3 times that I know of. That's what I was saying, he was unable to exploit the pass coverage. He's had a hard time playing all year with that enormous fork sticking out of his back. He still plays hard but he's not the same player he was even 3 years ago. Brady on the other hand is in his prime and won't miss against single coverage. If the Colts drop 4 into coverage....well, we saw all year how that defense did against the run. I think the Colts can win but it will be up to the offense/special teams.
January 15, 200719 yr That's what I was saying, he was unable to exploit the pass coverage. He's had a hard time playing all year with that enormous fork sticking out of his back. He still plays hard but he's not the same player he was even 3 years ago. Brady on the other hand is in his prime and won't miss against single coverage. If the Colts drop 4 into coverage....well, we saw all year how that defense did against the run. I think the Colts can win but it will be up to the offense/special teams. I think Manning is going to have to play better than he has previously done in the playoffs...that is where I get really skeptical. I don't necessarily expect New England to run wild against Indy's D and make this game a shootout (although it's possible), but I do think they will move the ball and put points on the board. The Colts aren't going to hold them under 10 points like they've done the past two weeks...they're facing a far better offense with a far better QB who is at his best when January starts. I'm really looking forward to it...I love it when these two teams meet in the playoffs. This is the matchup I was hoping for. I'm pulling for New England, but I think Indy has it's best chance to date to beat them. I can't bring myself to predict an Indy win due to Peyton and Dungy's big game failures in the past...until they get over that hump, I'll always hold that opinion. They have a great chance to do it this year.
January 15, 200719 yr But what about if the Colts beat the Patriots, there are still going to be people on BGP that down the defense, even if they play good again. I for one am on with the Colts defense simply because it stepped up against two great running back teams. Could they have done it against the Chargers? Probably not but that was a matchup I was wanting to see. I think the Colts defense is doing the same thing the Bengals did for that 3 week stretch and that is just messing with people, and making them think they are better than they really are...Yeah they did a great job on Larry Johnson, but I mean when you have 8 in the box it makes it easier. Then when the QB can not complete a pass because he has NO receivers on the team except for Gonzalez at TE it makes it easier to stop a team, and keeps LJ from getting many carries and that is why he only had 13 carries in the game. Then the game against the Ravens come on now, they dont have a good offense, I mean the Bengals also held them to 3 points. So I dont think there is much to be bragging about with their defense because they haven't really gone against any good offenses yet... I think we will see this week that the defense was just toying with us and the Pats will put alot of points on the board...However I do think the Colts finally will beat the Pats because I dont think Manning will have 3 bad games in a row, and I think the Colts offense will be hitting on everything this week and actually get them to the super bowl finally...
January 15, 200719 yr What does the defense have to to with Peyton choking in the playoffs? Brady is everything Peyton wishes he was. :lol: I'm sure Peyton is just fine with his life the way it is. Peyton has taken it to New England the last few times they have played...I won't be surprised if that happens again.
January 15, 200719 yr Author What does the past have to with the now? I get it, you hate Manning. Mentality? You don't think Peyton thinks about the past? WOW!!! I don't hate Manning, I just expect him to choke....again. The past repeats itself.
January 15, 200719 yr Author He hasn't beaten them in the playoffs with Tom Brady playing quarterback. Brady's only loss in the playoffs was last year at Denver. If you're buying into the Colts defense being that improved you're buying a bill of goods. Belichick won't make the mistake of continually slamming the ball between the tackles against a 8 or 9 man front like the Chiefs and Ravens did. Both teams had single coverage on the outside all day and refused to take shots down the field, that won't happen this week. Any NFL team can stop the run if they put 8 or 9 in the box, Green and McNair had a hard time exploiting it due to the enormous forks sticking out of their respective backs. The Colts could very well win this game, they have the better talent and the home field advantage. However, it will be up to Manning to do it, until he proves he can do it in a game of this magnitude I can't pick the Colts. Well said.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.