Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Woodford County 55 Owen County 50 (8th Region Quarterfinals)

Featured Replies

2 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

I’m not sure Ward would be playing basketball were he not 6’9”, not trying to disparage him at all.  Having said that, I might have to rethink having him on my all district team after last night.

I agree, he wasn't a very big factor in the district championship either. I believe he has received some smaller college offers, which was somewhat surprising.  

  • Replies 64
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Adrian Woj Burner
    Adrian Woj Burner

    My final view point on this Moore vs Johnson argument: Jasper Johnson is 100% the better basketball player. He is currently, will be his junior year, and his senior year. He will also be light ye

  • So, if he leaves him in with foul trouble and he fouls out at the beginning of 4th Q what's the narrative about the coach?  I don't know the coach/program from adam and apple, but seems like he's in a

  • Hoopstars
    Hoopstars

    Then I stand corrected!  Thanks. That 4-0 was a game changer though. Completely rattled Owen and shifted the momentum. 

10 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

Did the Owen coach make some mistakes last night?  I'm sure he did.  I don't recall the last time I saw a perfectly coached game.  But did his mistakes cost his team a win?  I don't think so.  Frankly, he's got one player.  The 6'9 player referenced above, simply put, isn't very good.  No one on that team is very good, save Moore.  I hate to talk about kids that way, but to characterize the coaching properly, you have to assess what he's got to work with.  I thought for 3+ quarters they did about as well as an OC fan could hope for.  The other team was complicit in that:  not impressed with WC.  But the one thing WC has is length and athleticism (is that 2 things?  heh).  And they deployed it.  Their defense in the 4th was a frenzy.  And you could tell, obviously, OC did not have the athletes or skill to contend with that.  Each possession was a countdown to a turnover, almost literally.  You're crossing your fingers hoping to just get a shot off.  Moore had to carry them - he was the only viable alternative.  Viewed that way, it was only a question of time - was their enough time for WC to catch them.  And they did.  I'm not sure what the OC coach could have done to ward off that outcome.

He could have beat gallatin for starters. Yes- they could have drawn Collins possibly but definitely wouldn’t have lost to Woodford!

28 minutes ago, LLS10 said:

But 1 District title, 1 All ¨A¨ title, and losing to GC in Finals? All with Moore. 

I can't comment on his overall performance, as I've only seen them play last night.  My comment was just about  last night and what he might have done to alter the outcome (which, as I said, I'm not sure he could have).

36 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

 

I likely said something to offend.  Apologies.  Note, when I say the players on OC aren't very good - I mean relative to the competition last night, Woodford County.  Woodford County is just way more athletic, in a way that overwhelmed the OC kids last night, save Moore.  I'm seeing a lot of comments about the OC coach, and things he could have done during the season or during the career of Moore to win more games.  And I can't speak to any of that.  I'm only offering observations about last night, about Owen County vs Woodford County on March 1, 2023.....

40 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

I likely said something to offend.  Apologies.  Note, when I say the players on OC aren't very good - I mean relative to the competition last night, Woodford County.  Woodford County is just way more athletic, in a way that overwhelmed the OC kids last night, save Moore.  I'm seeing a lot of comments about the OC coach, and things he could have done during the season or during the career of Moore to win more games.  And I can't speak to any of that.  I'm only offering observations about last night, about Owen County vs Woodford County on March 1, 2023.....

No, I deleted my comment because I felt bad about what I said.  I actually expected OC to lose the game because WC had much more talent overall.  Teagan was the best player on the court, but WC had the next 7 best players.  So the outcome should not have been a surprise.  But…after OC got up by 15, they blew a huge opportunity.

My final view point on this Moore vs Johnson argument:

Jasper Johnson is 100% the better basketball player. He is currently, will be his junior year, and his senior year. He will also be light years better at the college level. Moore is more "dominant" yes, but we have to look at plenty of factors when we observe this.
Stats, this is Moore fans best argument. It is with good reasoning as he has some ridiculous stats. However, there are many components that go into this. Owen County is in the worst district in the region, and there are 6 teams in the district. Each team plays one another twice in the regular season, so that is 10 games of their schedule right there. They also play in the All 'A' Tournament which is against small schools who do not have the level of talent needed to play against him. I think that if you put Jasper Johnson in the 31st District he averages right around 30 ppg as well. Moore also has plays and such ran for him every single time down the court. The only way anyone else on his team scores is if he's triple teamed and they are wide open. 
I will say, Teagan Moore looked better last night, but that was from having to do more. When Johnson was giving opportunities, he looked far more impressive. However, they didn't come as often as they should. 
One other thing to note, Woodford County is loaded with athletes. 4 D1 athletes on the court at the same time, so they will spread the scoring around a bit. I also do not personally think they are very well coached, and their coach does not do a very good job of getting him the ball. If he got the ball as much as Moore did his stats would be just the same if not better. 
They also play a lot harder schedule than Owen County does. This means they are playing better athletes, better coaches, and better teams in general. These games normally tend to be somewhat sloppy (take Grant County and North Oldham last night for example), and scoring is normally lower. 

None of this is taking away from Moore. He is a GREAT player, one of the best in the state. I wish him well at WKU, what a career!

Lots packed in there. Some I agree with, future prospects stuff, some I don’t- like this year.  outside of pure subjectivity and smoothness etc, there is no basis for saying this year Johnson is better than Moore- unless you do what you did- separate better player discussion- totally based on opinion, from more impact which is way less subjective. Impact and better player tend to go hand and hand. I’d take the one with more impact personally.  Basically, Johnson is more visually appealing, therefore he is better.  
 

as for schedule- Johnson missed some of the toughest games- so his stats would probably be worse had he not missed. If you look at the games actually Johnson played, schedule gap closed. Owen did play Collins, grant twice, Cooper, Simon Kenton, Spencer County  north Laurel, and evangel. Many easy games as well but harder than many big schools, like South. 

32 minutes ago, Hoopstars said:

Lots packed in there. Some I agree with, future prospects stuff, some I don’t- like this year.  outside of pure subjectivity and smoothness etc, there is no basis for saying this year Johnson is better than Moore- unless you do what you did- separate better player discussion- totally based on opinion, from more impact which is way less subjective. Impact and better player tend to go hand and hand. I’d take the one with more impact personally.  Basically, Johnson is more visually appealing, therefore he is better.  
 

as for schedule- Johnson missed some of the toughest games- so his stats would probably be worse had he not missed. If you look at the games actually Johnson played, schedule gap closed. Owen did play Collins, grant twice, Cooper, Simon Kenton, Spencer County  north Laurel, and evangel. Many easy games as well but harder than many big schools, like South. 

You can also add Washington County and Cooper, who are still playing. And Central, who gave Ballard all they wanted in the first round of the 7th.

Moore outperformed JJ in the head to head matchups with common opponents and it wasn’t particularly close. 

Check out Collins Evangel Spencer Shelby Anderson.  

Woj speaks with a lot of certainty, but I don’t think he has been triple teamed, or taken a guy one on one when the other 4 players on your team have to be respected.  Basketball players know which situation is easier to look good/score/finish.  And despite the triple teams and opponents game planning to take him away, Teegan gets buckets, and does so at a 63% shooting clip!!!

For goodness sakes, Moore was being guarded by a D1 football player with weak side help from a D1 basketball commit.  Mr. 5⭐️ Johnson was being guarded by a 5’10” kid that won’t be the best player on his college intramural team one day. 

Woj might secretly be Paul Biancardi.  All stars and potential. Meanwhile the actual performance is something else.

Moore averages 10 points per game more than JJ, outshoots him by 12% from the field, better % from 3, out shoots him from the foul line, and out rebounds him by 7, all while being triple teamed.  This isn’t even an argument.  Moore is the better player by a mile, and was the better player last night AND IT ain't EVEN CLOSE!!

6 minutes ago, deepthreejack said:

Woj might secretly be Paul Biqnciardi.  All stars and potential. Meanwhile the actual performance is something else.

LOL, I could go a lot of ways with this saying. "The actual performance is something else", you sir are correct. The actual performance, and not the stats is the real deciding factor. My issue with this whole argument, everyone is taking 1 game into account and nothing else (outside of this comment that you made). We can stats this, and stats that. But there is just no way that you can tell yourself Moore is the better player just based on how they do what they do. 

Who has a better touch driving to the basket? Who has the best range? Who has the better dribble moves? Who has the best shot? Who passes the best? Who is more athletic? 

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Thanks to everyone who has devoted their time to it ?.

I don’t see how anyone can look at any of my posts and say I am only taking one game into account.

I’ve listed Stats, common opponents, head to head, etc etc.  Real Tangible things.  You have listed “your opinion”

try this;  player a is asked to do more than player b, has a much more difficult time doing what he is asked to do because of the lack of talent around him, and does what he is asked to do at a more efficient rate than player b.

player b is asked to do less than player a, has an easier time doing that he is asked to do because he has more talent around him, and does so at a less efficient rate than player a

Who is the better player?

Its not as hard as you are making it out to be.

1 minute ago, deepthreejack said:

I don’t see how anyone can look at any of my posts and say I am only taking one game into account.

I’ve listed Stats, common opponents, head to head, etc etc.  Real Tangible things.  You have listed “your opinion”

try this;  player a is asked to do more than player b, has a much more difficult time doing what he is asked to do because of the lack of talent around him, and does what he is asked to do at a more efficient rate than player b.

player b is asked to do less than player a, has an easier time doing that he is asked to do because he has more talent around him, and does so at a less efficient rate than player a

Who is the better player?

Its not as hard as you are making it out to be.

So I have listed nothing other than my opinion? 

1 minute ago, deepthreejack said:

I don’t see how anyone can look at any of my posts and say I am only taking one game into account.

I’ve listed Stats, common opponents, head to head, etc etc.  Real Tangible things.  You have listed “your opinion”

try this;  player a is asked to do more than player b, has a much more difficult time doing what he is asked to do because of the lack of talent around him, and does what he is asked to do at a more efficient rate than player b.

player b is asked to do less than player a, has an easier time doing that he is asked to do because he has more talent around him, and does so at a less efficient rate than player a

Who is the better player?

Its not as hard as you are making it out to be.

Go back to my post a few posts up and answer my questions. 

I just want to clarify:

There is absolutely NO bias in any of my comments. I have zero ties to either school or either player. I have watched them both play multiple times, actually watched Moore a bit more than I have Johnson. It is what it is, and we seem to all be so heavily favored in our opinions we can't change each others minds. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.