Playoff Teams?

hrcarrier

That is who I believe will be the four.

Alabama would be the only other candidate, and I simply do not see any argument for them over TCU. TCU has the better record, better wins on the year, actually played for their conference title, and only very narrowly has a worse loss than Alabama’s “best” loss. Plus Bama has that pesky extra loss to LSU, which is not looking all that quality right about now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

That is who I believe will be the four.

Alabama would be the only other candidate, and I simply do not see any argument for them over TCU. TCU has the better record, better wins on the year, actually played for their conference title, and only very narrowly has a worse loss than Alabama’s “best” loss. Plus Bama has that pesky extra loss to LSU, which is not looking all that quality right about now. 

Alabama's best argument isn't against TCU, it's against Ohio State. I know they won't pass them because they were behind them this week. But if the focus is on losses, Bama lost two road games...each on the last play. Ohio State went from a halftime lead to getting crushed at home. 

This isn't a typical Alabama team and I'm not saying they deserve to be in, but they probably deserve it as much as Ohio State does.

FWIW I think @hrcarrierhas it exactly like it will be.

• Like 2

I don’t know why I initially thought TCU would be out earlier today. Making their conference championship undefeated and yesterday’s game being as close as it was should keep them safe. 

I agree with both points @Jumper Dad and @DragonFire. Alabama may have a better argument even with two closer losses on the road than Ohio State, but I could see Alabama’s loss to LSU not looking as good to the selection committee. It’s almost a pick em between Ohio State and Alabama, but I believe Ohio State will get the last nod. 

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Alabama's best argument isn't against TCU, it's against Ohio State. I know they won't pass them because they were behind them this week. But if the focus is on losses, Bama lost two road games...each on the last play. Ohio State went from a halftime lead to getting crushed at home. 

This isn't a typical Alabama team and I'm not saying they deserve to be in, but they probably deserve it as much as Ohio State does.

FWIW I think @hrcarrierhas it exactly like it will be.

I tend to agree with this.  Alabama's two losses look better to me than Ohio State's one loss.  But Ohio State's best win (Penn State) looks better than Alabama's best win (Texas).  I do think Alabama had a tougher schedule. 

I also tend to think that the Big 12 is trash, that you can always count on Ohio State to lay at least one huge egg, and that this Alabama team just isn't what we're accustomed to seeing compared to other Saban teams.

Regardless of what happens, two teams that make this thing will get there limping.  

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Playoff Teams?
On 12/4/2022 at 2:21 AM, hrcarrier said:

Could have been a good season for the BCS system for sure.

Would have been even better for expanded playoffs. Letting a group of teams play it out on the field is a better choice than picking two. 

6 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Would have been even better for expanded playoffs. Letting a group of teams play it out on the field is a better choice than picking two. 

I thought it should have been more than four for the playoff since it began, but is what it is.