Paintsville 42 Bishop Brossart 16

Mustang

Mustangs keep it close in first half, trail 14-10 at intermission.  Paintsville rules the second half, and draw off to win handily.

Paintsville senior running back Harris Phelps lives up to his billing while scoring the 58th, 59th, 60th,and 61st touchdowns of his career tonight in Alexandria.  

Mustangs finish out with a 9-3 record and graduate 13 seniors, but the cupboard is certainly not bare.

Paintsville moves on probably to face Pikeville.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t claim to know a lot about Brossart football. But remember there was a time when they were thinking about dropping football. They obviously turned it around and are regularly beating the teams they put on the schedule to save their program.

Alexandria is growing. Assuming so is Brossart. Now it’s time to take the next step and start playing a little higher quality team.  I’m not saying to call Highlands and Beechwood. But what they’re doing now isn’t properly preparing the team for the postseason.

Send the bus north instead of down the AA. There’s nothing down there. Schedule Scott, Lloyd, Holy Cross, NCC, Walton, Holmes. Get rid of Ludlow, Bracken, Dayton, and Bellevue.  

5 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Can’t claim to know a lot about Brossart football. But remember there was a time when they were thinking about dropping football. They obviously turned it around and are regularly beating the teams they put on the schedule to save their program.

Alexandria is growing. Assuming so is Brossart. Now it’s time to take the next step and start playing a little higher quality team.  I’m not saying to call Highlands and Beechwood. But what they’re doing now isn’t properly preparing the team for the postseason.

Send the bus north instead of down the AA. There’s nothing down there. Schedule Scott, Lloyd, Holy Cross, NCC, Walton, Holmes. Get rid of Ludlow, Bracken, Dayton, and Bellevue.  

I agree with you. Alexandria growing. I haven't seen their new turf field and athletic complex but I hear it is nice. They had the N. Ky. 2A schools except Beechwood on this year's schedule so they are working in that direction. Replace at least a couple of those 1A schools you list with maybe Holmes and Scott. That would be a good ramp up for this next schedule.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Good season for Brossart.

I think the program is at a point where they can step it up a notch. Strength of schedule was 27th in 1A. New schedules get made this year. Brossart needs to add a couple higher quality opponents to get them better prepared for games like this one tonight.

I agree but I'm not sure who you add in northern Kentucky. Maybe Holmes? Scott? Newport Catholic? I'm sure they want to keep it local for good gates and easy, inexpensive travel.

Congratulations to Brossart on a nice season and to Paintsville on the impressive win. I’m not surprised at Paintsville winning but kind of am by the margin. 

I thought that the Mustangs may have been ready to turn the corner, but not quite yet. Brossart is still headed in a good direction though. It was talked about in another prediction thread not long ago by another member and  this game shows how hard it can be to gauge where the smaller schools are at in terms of level, strength, competition, etc. at times. 

Look for somewhat of a shakeup in the schedule this coming year.

Dayton and Newport will be gone, and probably Bellevue if they are not competitive.  Ludlow will stay, along with Holy Cross, Lloyd, and Pendleton County, along with our district opponents Nicholas County, Bracken County and Paris.

Sayre and Bethel-Tate (OH) are replacements I hear being bantered about.  Grant County is also possibly in the mix.  Sheer speculation.

7 hours ago, Royal Blue said:

Check your geography. When they were one player over and placed in 2A it set the program back. Their games you refer to are district games.