1. Paducah Tilghman vs. 6A McCracken County 

2. Christian Academy-Louisville at 5A South Oldham 

3. Belfry vs. 5A #10 Pulaski County 

4. Glasgow vs. 4A John Hardin 

5. Bardstown at 5A Greenwood 

6. Union County at 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins

7. Bell County vs. 5A North Laurel 

8. Lawrence County at 4A Harrison County 

9. Taylor County vs. 1A #7 Louisville Holy Cross at Campbellsville (8/20)

10. Russell vs. 5A Boone County

• Like 3

3A hasn't exactly been the heavyweight class in recent years. 

With that said, this might be the most "up"  the class has been in a while in terms of depth of quality teams.

Most people forget that until Tilghman stunned them, CAL seemed to be the tail everyone was clearly chasing last season. The Centurions were outgunned by LCA then went an absolute roll against some quality competition. CAL has a heavy amount of talent  back if they can get back on track.

Tilghman is easy to love right now and for good reason. Though they took several regular season losses, that young team probably were a fumbled kickoff return and an Isaac Dixon "Beast Mode" performance from being State Champs. Things are looking good in Paducah under Shawn Thompson.

When it comes to  Belfry:

1. Understand Lawrence County thinks this is finally the year they get over the hump after pushing the Pirates to their limits in the playoffs.

2. Belfry won the title despite being far from "vintage" Belfry. The Pirates had a shockingly small roster last year and got worked a few times as a very young team lacking depth came together. Belfry still is a very young team but the roster is growing and they now have back to back Middle School State Champions comprising that Freshman and Sophomore talent. Expect Belfry to take several losses again. All six of their non-district games are against ranked teams including four teams in the respective Top 5 of their classes. With that said, this team is going to age like a fine wine if they stay healthy.

• Like 1

I think much like last season, most of these teams have a shot. CAL kind of became the favorite heading into the playoffs, and rightfully so, and we'll probably have someone do something similar this year. Still, I believe there's more than a handful who could make that trip to Lexington. 

Take the Tilghman/Union game in the playoffs as an example. The game before the Tilghman/CAL game. Union had Tilghman down 20-7 at the half and 28-14 when the 4th quarter began. Tilghman reeled off 17 straight for the win, but what if that didn't happen? It very easily could have went the other way. 

I only brought that up to further emphasize how very close a lot of these 3A teams are. 

Now, I'd love nothing more than to take a return trip to Kroger Field, but I also realize most any of these teams could replicate what happened to us last year. So many evenly matched teams. So many close outcomes with just a bounce the other way and it's a whole different scenario for so many. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TilghmanPride said:

I think much like last season, most of these teams have a shot. CAL kind of became the favorite heading into the playoffs, and rightfully so, and we'll probably have someone do something similar this year. Still, I believe there's more than a handful who could make that trip to Lexington. 

Take the Tilghman/Union game in the playoffs as an example. The game before the Tilghman/CAL game. Union had Tilghman down 20-7 at the half and 28-14 when the 4th quarter began. Tilghman reeled off 17 straight for the win, but what if that didn't happen? It very easily could have went the other way. 

I only brought that up to further emphasize how very close a lot of these 3A teams are. 

Now, I'd love nothing more than to take a return trip to Kroger Field, but I also realize most any of these teams could replicate what happened to us last year. So many evenly matched teams. So many close outcomes with just a bounce the other way and it's a whole different scenario for so many. 

It’s just whoever gets hot at the right time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

It’s just whoever gets hot at the right time.

39 minutes ago, TilghmanPride said:

No doubt about it. 

Something Belfry, in particular, specializes in. Haywood teams - assuming good health here - always seem to get stronger as the season rolls on and the weather turns. The Pirates are almost never overhyped. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Tilghman, Belfry, Glasgow, Bardstown, Bell County, Taylor County...all have difficult opening games. With Class 3A seemingly more open than normal, will we know more or less about this class on Sunday morning?

Probably be more confused haha.

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, TheDeuce said:

Class 3A

1. Paducah Tilghman vs. 6A McCracken County 

2. Christian Academy-Louisville at 5A South Oldham 

3. Belfry vs. 5A #10 Pulaski County 

4. Glasgow vs. 4A John Hardin 

5. Bardstown at 5A Greenwood 

6. Union County at 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins

7. Bell County vs. 5A North Laurel 

8. Lawrence County at 4A Harrison County 

9. Taylor County vs. 1A #7 Louisville Holy Cross at Campbellsville (8/20)

10. Russell vs. 5A Boone County

Class 3A had a very nice opening weekend as 9 of the 10 Pre-Season ranked teams were victorious. Belfry was the only loss and that was against a ranked 5A foe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TilghmanPride said:

Class 3A had a very nice opening weekend as 9 of the 10 Pre-Season ranked teams were victorious. Belfry was the only loss and that was against a ranked 5A foe. 

I thought Russell lost to Boone County?

• Like 1