Pleasure Ridge Park's Zee McCown transferring to Winchendon Prep

This seems to be a growing issue, with a number of talented kids leaving Ky for prep opportunities. It looks like it is much bigger than Ky though.  I did some quick looking at the 2023 ESPN top 100 and from what I can tell 40 or so are at prep schools or will be this going season.  I support the kids and their decisions if it really is a better opportunity, but I hate it for the schools they left behind that built programs and game plans around them, along with the excitement of HS basketball in general.  I am not closed minded and can see the benefits of being at a prep, but lost is the comradery of a team and support of a community.  Anyone else have any thoughts?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoops Junkie said:

This seems to be a growing issue, with a number of talented kids leaving Ky for prep opportunities. It looks like it is much bigger than Ky though.  I did some quick looking at the 2023 ESPN top 100 and from what I can tell 40 or so are at prep schools or will be this going season.  I support the kids and their decisions if it really is a better opportunity, but I hate it for the schools they left behind that built programs and game plans around them, along with the excitement of HS basketball in general.  I am not closed minded and can see the benefits of being at a prep, but lost is the comradery of a team and support of a community.  Anyone else have any thoughts?  

Totally agree with your thoughts. I really question the ability of some of these of these kids playing at that level.  What ever happened to the old school saying, if you can play they will find you?