Jump to content

NBA Off Season


Recommended Posts

Is the NBA off season better than the NFL off season?

Always active. Seems more filled with drama every year. 
 

For me, it’s not quite NFL off season status, but it’s close. 
 

Where does Durant and Kyrie end up?  And what will Brooklyn do with the additions from the trades.  Rumors swirling Durant back to GSW and Kyrie back to LeBron.  
 

Be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think both Durant and Kyrie will be in Brooklyn. 
 

Still trying to wrap my head around my TWolves and their baffling move to acquire Gobert in the manner they did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely interesting but one of those things that I sit back and wait to see what happens. With all the salary cap nuances it is so difficult to try and figure out who goes where before it happens. I feel that way even more about the NBA draft. I pay much less attention to it than the NFL draft because there are so many trades in the NBA draft that I find it better to wait till the next day to start thinking about who accomplished what.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

NBA off-season is the best in professional sports, and it’s not particularly close, IMO. 

The NBA has an exciting 3-4 weeks coming out of the NBA finals, but it pretty much dwindles after that until Christmas. Especially now that summer league has been stripped down so much. And to be honest, a lot of the excitement of the NBA offseason is for all the wrong reasons. Durant is requesting a trade in year one of a four year contract (the contract really hasn't yet started). That's not how this should work. The turning over of franchises to a select few players isn't proving to be all it is supposed to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bugatti said:

The NBA has an exciting 3-4 weeks coming out of the NBA finals, but it pretty much dwindles after that until Christmas. Especially now that summer league has been stripped down so much. And to be honest, a lot of the excitement of the NBA offseason is for all the wrong reasons. Durant is requesting a trade in year one of a four year contract (the contract really hasn't yet started). That's not how this should work. The turning over of franchises to a select few players isn't proving to be all it is supposed to be.

I think players should get paid what ever the market allows.  I will always believe that -- get your bag!.  But, I agree totally that asking to be traded at the beginning of a contract seems bit much to me.  I do not know the behind the scenes stuff, and while the Nets may not be a model franchise, it does appear they are trying to win.  At some point, players need to play and owners need to own.  It's a slippery slope and each case is different, but I believe it shines poorly on the league when the business part of things is in the news more than the actual games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FatNate said:

I think players should get paid what ever the market allows.  I will always believe that -- get your bag!.  But, I agree totally that asking to be traded at the beginning of a contract seems bit much to me.  I do not know the behind the scenes stuff, and while the Nets may not be a model franchise, it does appear they are trying to win.  At some point, players need to play and owners need to own.  It's a slippery slope and each case is different, but I believe it shines poorly on the league when the business part of things is in the news more than the actual games.

It is a really strange system that has been established where a handful of guys control the entire league. Which it makes sense on some level because a single player can tilt the balance of power. These five to ten guys can rescue, hold hostage, and torpedo an organization all in the same calendar year. What I hate about it is these individuals are fine and will continue to earn, but it comes at the expense of their NBA brethren. And yes, I understand this can happen in other sports, but in the NBA it is much more pronounced.

I would call Durant's bluff. The dude is 34 and probably concerned more with his image and legacy (now that LeBron is in his twilight) more than anyone else in the NBA. Right now he is in desperation mode because all he has proven is he can win a title by joining a 73 win basketball team. Golden State winning the chip this past year put his legacy on notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, bugatti said:

It is a really strange system that has been established where a handful of guys control the entire league. Which it makes sense on some level because a single player can tilt the balance of power. These five to ten guys can rescue, hold hostage, and torpedo an organization all in the same calendar year. What I hate about it is these individuals are fine and will continue to earn, but it comes at the expense of their NBA brethren. And yes, I understand this can happen in other sports, but in the NBA it is much more pronounced.

I would call Durant's bluff. The dude is 34 and probably concerned more with his image and legacy (now that LeBron is in his twilight) more than anyone else in the NBA. Right now he is in desperation mode because all he has proven is he can win a title by joining a 73 win basketball team. Golden State winning the chip this past year put his legacy on notice.

This is really well said and the reason I don't watch much NBA anymore except around the conference championships and the Finals.  I just don't like the players antics.  Plain and simple.

I grew up in the Magic and Bird era and its such a light switch change from you are a Laker or you are a Celtic or whatever team to now where adversaries saying lets join up and make a super team and win some championships.  Some of those work and some don't.    I guess I'm just old and set in my ways, but Durant isn't one of my favorite players even though he's super talented.  He's just put all his eggs in his Kyrie basket and those eggs have soured.  Now he wants some new eggs, but the Nets now have say in that.

Sure will be interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

This is really well said and the reason I don't watch much NBA anymore except around the conference championships and the Finals.  I just don't like the players antics.  Plain and simple.

I grew up in the Magic and Bird era and its such a light switch change from you are a Laker or you are a Celtic or whatever team to now where adversaries saying lets join up and make a super team and win some championships.  Some of those work and some don't.    I guess I'm just old and set in my ways, but Durant isn't one of my favorite players even though he's super talented.  He's just put all his eggs in his Kyrie basket and those eggs have soured.  Now he wants some new eggs, but the Nets now have say in that.

Sure will be interesting. 

The NBA owners are probably pressuring Tsai to hold firm; I am behind this. The reality is KD has no leverage other than quitting his way out of the situation, but he doesn't strike me as that type of guy (despite me having him ranked as one of the least likeable NBA players today). There will always be a desire to sign the elite players, but with talent pool being as deep as it is, I can see teams trying to stay clear of situations where you turn the entire organization over to a player or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, Purple88 said:

This is really well said and the reason I don't watch much NBA anymore except around the conference championships and the Finals.  I just don't like the players antics.  Plain and simple.

I grew up in the Magic and Bird era and its such a light switch change from you are a Laker or you are a Celtic or whatever team to now where adversaries saying lets join up and make a super team and win some championships.  Some of those work and some don't.    I guess I'm just old and set in my ways, but Durant isn't one of my favorite players even though he's super talented.  He's just put all his eggs in his Kyrie basket and those eggs have soured.  Now he wants some new eggs, but the Nets now have say in that.

Sure will be interesting. 

I grew up in the Magic and Bird era as well. I like the player empowerment that we see these days.  I think if the players in the Magic and Bird era were making this kind of money then they would have a different perspective on things.   The money is the main difference when comparing attitudes from different generations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.