Steve Kerr

Let’s talk about the guy for a second.  Five rings as a player. Four more as a head coach. 

It takes Jimmies and Joes, and Kerr has had a bunch of ‘em.  But I for one was really impressed with the job he did this postseason with what was probably the least impressive bunch of Jimmies and Joes of his four championship teams. 

Where does Kerr stand in the pantheon of coaches?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Kerr said it himself last night. This title was the most unlikely/improbably of all nine of his rings. 

And I would agree. Going into the playoffs I would have put the Warriors as the fifth best team, at best. I think many forget they started 18-2 and looked like "the Warriors." It took a bit to get Klay back into the fold. Love that dude, seems like a genuine guy.

Kerr was tremendous all series and pressed the right buttons at the right time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bugatti said:

Great question. I think he is firmly in the top 5.

In no particular order we got Phil Jackson, Red Aurebach, Gregg Popovich, Pat Riley, and Steve Kerr.

Great list. Only one who might have an argument is Red Holzman who won two titles and had a ton of success with the New York Knicks.

• Like 1

I am not sure where he ranks all time, especially since his career is still going, and it is always hard for me when rankings cover different eras.  He is an outstanding coach.  His system and style gets the most out of his teams.  Reminds me of the Patriots, in a way.  Two titles with Durant.  Curry is a top ten player.  The system and style works, but he has also had some talent.  I believe the players respect him and play for him, which is hard to quantify, but I think we all know it is super important at this level.  I thought the Suns and Bucks might have been better than the Warriors this year, but come playoff time, they were not.  Warriors were on record breaking pace early, then injuries and Covid.  They pulled it back to get playoff ready and it paid off.