Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walker Horn - Newest Kentucky Basketball Walk On

Featured Replies

  • Author

Just my two cents....

1. I wonder what compelled UK to offer the spot to a young man who couldn't find minutes while he was on Covington Catholic's roster? If he wasn't good enough to get any real meaningful varsity minutes during his time at CovCath, what's changed?

2. If in UK's estimation, he is good enough as a player to be a typical walk-on that's not "someone owed a favor" and can actually play....why did things go south at Covington Catholic? Why didn't CovCath play him?

Truly with the young man all the luck in the world and hope he has a tremendous career and becomes one of the walk-on miracles that etches his way into play time by the time he graduates. Just really curious if the kid is a real player and there was some behind-the-scenes action that we were not privy to leading to him being mainly a deep bench role player OR was he what we saw at CovCath and he's ending up on UK's squad as a nod to Coach Horn?

I mean, ultimately, when's the last time a backup perimeter player on a non state champion team was given a walk on to a top college basketball program?

Interesting. 

  • Replies 35
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Voice of Reason
    Voice of Reason

    Who are the walk ons at UK over the past 5 years? What is their background? Walk ons at UK are usually practice players only. What is the controversy with this?

  • Voice of Reason
    Voice of Reason

    MJ is not alone. I have no clue. But let's not burden you alone to post an explanation. Anyone else? Can anyone fill in the gaps? 

  • MJAlltheWay24
    MJAlltheWay24

    I thought you might enjoy watching his Hall of Fame enshrinement speech:  

Posted Images

Who are the walk ons at UK over the past 5 years? What is their background? Walk ons at UK are usually practice players only. What is the controversy with this?

On 6/3/2022 at 7:21 PM, BrosefStalin said:

Dig deeper. If you don’t know what’s interesting about it, you didn’t watch Horn’s time in NKY closely. IMO of course. 
 

I'm still confused what's interesting.

What possible favor could be owed?

  • Author
1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'm still confused what's interesting.

What possible favor could be owed?

I’m sorry to hear that. Must be weighing on you heavily to compel you to post. 
 

 

5 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Must be weighing on you heavily to compel you to post. 
 

 

MJ is not alone. I have no clue. But let's not burden you alone to post an explanation. Anyone else? Can anyone fill in the gaps? 

  • Author
33 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

MJ is not alone. I have no clue. But let's not burden you alone to post an explanation. Anyone else? Can anyone fill in the gaps? 

I did. You read it and somehow oddly interpreted somewhere that I categorized it as a “controversy”. 

It appears you and MJ want this to be something it isn’t. I think it’s INTERESTING. If you and MJ don’t that doesn’t matter to me and I don’t owe you a further explanation to something you misinterpreted. 

Strange combative responses/interpretations over something inconsequential.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, BrosefStalin said:

Interesting. Thoughts? 

 

On 6/3/2022 at 7:21 PM, BrosefStalin said:

Dig deeper. If you don’t know what’s interesting about it, you didn’t watch Horn’s time in NKY closely. IMO of course. 
 

 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, BrosefStalin said:

Just my two cents....

1. I wonder what compelled UK to offer the spot to a young man who couldn't find minutes while he was on Covington Catholic's roster? If he wasn't good enough to get any real meaningful varsity minutes during his time at CovCath, what's changed?

2. If in UK's estimation, he is good enough as a player to be a typical walk-on that's not "someone owed a favor" and can actually play....why did things go south at Covington Catholic? Why didn't CovCath play him?

Truly with the young man all the luck in the world and hope he has a tremendous career and becomes one of the walk-on miracles that etches his way into play time by the time he graduates. Just really curious if the kid is a real player and there was some behind-the-scenes action that we were not privy to leading to him being mainly a deep bench role player OR was he what we saw at CovCath and he's ending up on UK's squad as a nod to Coach Horn?

I mean, ultimately, when's the last time a backup perimeter player on a non state champion team was given a walk on to a top college basketball program?

Interesting. 

Asking questions and trying to understand something is combative? It is an information sharing site.

But your last post actually does a good job of explaining what you find interesting. Let me respond to your last post.

Walk ons at UK and many other power conference schools are just there to help in practices. Walker Horn actually seems like a good fit for that role. He played high school basketball. His dad is a college coach so he should know the game and his role at UK. Maybe the Frederick Covington Catholic connection helped Horn getting considered for a walk on? 

For example, Isaac Digregorio was a walk on at UK a couple years. His grandfather was Calipari's college coach. That connection helped him become a walk on. Sounds somewhat similar to Walker Horn. 

There is another player from Sycamore HS in Cincinnati named Grant Darbyshire who will be joining UK as a walk on. He didn't play much for his HS team. I don't know the connection and how he got to be a walk on but he is. 

These walk ons are not going to play in games. They hope for that final 30 seconds of playing time in a 30 point blowout. That is great these young men get the opportunity to be a part of the program but they aren't taking a scholarship. Their role is perhaps just a notch or two above a team manager in what they do to help the team win. So to your point - interesting but that is all.

13 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

I’m sorry to hear that. Must be weighing on you heavily to compel you to post. 
 

 

Sorry to hear that I dont understand what you're trying to infer? I post often in UK threads, rarely feel compelled, just confused why this remotely matters.

Didn't matter to me they gave a walk on to Sam Malone, Brian Long, and etc., still not sure why this matters too.

12 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

I did. You read it and somehow oddly interpreted somewhere that I categorized it as a “controversy”. 

It appears you and MJ want this to be something it isn’t. I think it’s INTERESTING. If you and MJ don’t that doesn’t matter to me and I don’t owe you a further explanation to something you misinterpreted. 

Strange combative responses/interpretations over something inconsequential.

I dont want anything to be anything, I'm just confused and missing something. I thought the walk on spots were mainly for players that were basically going to get 4.0s and keep the team GPA high. It was implied by you there was more of a story and I was just wondering what that story was.

If there really isn't anything more then a fellow D-1 Coach's kid getting a walk-on spot where he will only play when UK is up 30 and fans are yelling "Shoot", I dont get whats interesting.

If being curious is now combative, I'm in big trouble.

 

Hell, I didnt even know the kid went to Cov Cath before mentioned in this thread.

The main thing that is "weird" to me in this situation, is why isn't he attending Nku to play for his father?  It's none of my business obviously, but I'm just curious.

52 minutes ago, brown4 said:

The main thing that is "weird" to me in this situation, is why isn't he attending Nku to play for his father?  It's none of my business obviously, but I'm just curious.

I'd imagine that it's just simply a heck of an opportunity to enjoy the luxuries of being a walk-on at a program like Kentucky.

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'd imagine that it's just simply a heck of an opportunity to enjoy the luxuries of being a walk-on at a program like Kentucky.

And learn under another coach, especially a hall of fame level coach.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:36 AM, Voice of Reason said:

Who are the walk ons at UK over the past 5 years? What is their background? Walk ons at UK are usually practice players only. What is the controversy with this?

How could walk ons compete with all of these high level UK guys? I'd say their biggest contribution is GPA help for the program.

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

And learn under another coach, especially a hall of fame level coach.

And coaches take care of coaches and their families. Did you see Baby Cal play for Detroit??

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.