North Hardin High School Boys’ Basketball Season Cancelled

North Hardin High School basketball season is over after a Friday night on court incident. 

The cancellation came with 43 seconds left in the fourth quarter after an altercation involving a Bardstown player and several North Hardin players that broke out near the Trojan bench. A Bardstown player walked through a group of North Hardin players on the court as the Trojans gathered for a time out at their bench. The Bardstown player was pushed back toward the bench at least twice before the incident escalated. Officials sent both teams to the locker rooms before calling the game early. Bardstown won, 71-68.

“The North Hardin boys' basketball season is complete,” North Hardin principal Jeff Maysey said in a statement Sunday. “With a tradition of success comes a tradition of high expectations. We appreciate those who support our athletics program and we look forward to an exciting 2022-23 basketball season.”North Hardin coach Mike Cofer was asked for comment on the situation prior to the principal's announcement. He said he was unable to and directed any comment to Maysey. The cancellation sends Fort Knox to the 17th District Tournament semifinals, where the Eagles will face tournament-host John Hardin at 6 p.m. Thursday. North Hardin finishes the season with a 9-16 record.

• Thanks 1

If this had been an isolated incident, it would be bad enough, but the whole last 2 minutes of this game is just awful. Cofer (head coach) gets a technical foul, after North leaves their bench coming out of a timeout, North players try and get in the Bardstown huddle and teams have to be separated and then the fight that took place. 

I'm not sure if KHSAA has ruled on Bardstown players. I could potentially see 2, maybe 3 players being suspended. I was told that the decision to shut down the season came from Hardin County schools, not KHSAA. Not saying that the outcome would have been any different, but appears to me that HCS wasn't waiting for Lexington.

2 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

The decision to suspend the season came from the school principal, Jeff Maysey. I am sure Bardstown will be short players for their district tournament and maybe the region tournament and beyond.

Did the officials issue technicals and/or eject anyone from the game?

If not, there may not be any repercussions in upcoming games for Bardstown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

The decision to suspend the season came from the school principal, Jeff Maysey. I am sure Bardstown will be short players for their district tournament and maybe the region tournament and beyond.

10 hours ago, 5thregionbasketball said:

If this had been an isolated incident, it would be bad enough, but the whole last 2 minutes of this game is just awful. Cofer (head coach) gets a technical foul, after North leaves their bench coming out of a timeout, North players try and get in the Bardstown huddle and teams have to be separated and then the fight that took place. 

I'm not sure if KHSAA has ruled on Bardstown players. I could potentially see 2, maybe 3 players being suspended. I was told that the decision to shut down the season came from Hardin County schools, not KHSAA. Not saying that the outcome would have been any different, but appears to me that HCS wasn't waiting for Lexington.

I have only seen the video on twitter posted by Matt Jones. Why would any Bardstown players be suspended? At least from that video, there is only one Bardstown player involved, and he was the one who twice got pushed and then basically jumped from a few players on the other team. 

As I said I only seen that one video, but based off that one video. Not sure where you got Bardstown would be short players, if any at least based off that video. Now there may have been more to it, but at least from that I’m not sure who you think should be suspended from Bardstown. 

13 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I have only seen the video on twitter posted by Matt Jones. Why would any Bardstown players be suspended? At least from that video, there is only one Bardstown player involved, and he was the one who twice got pushed and then basically jumped from a few players on the other team. 

As I said I only seen that one video, but based off that one video. Not sure where you got Bardstown would be short players, if any at least based off that video. Now there may have been more to it, but at least from that I’m not sure who you think should be suspended from Bardstown. 

There were two Bardstown players that left the bench. I'm not saying that I blame them, but if you leave the bench area it's usually an ejection and suspension. 

2 hours ago, 5thregionbasketball said:

There were two Bardstown players that left the bench. I'm not saying that I blame them, but if you leave the bench area it's usually an ejection and suspension. 

Is that a high school rule or a college/NBA rule? I know that’s a NBA rule but haven’t really heard that for high school. And since there was no suspensions during the game after the incident for Bardstown. I’m not sure if there will be one, but I guess we should find out soon. 

19 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Is that a high school rule or a college/NBA rule? I know that’s a NBA rule but haven’t really heard that for high school. And since there was no suspensions during the game after the incident for Bardstown. I’m not sure if there will be one, but I guess we should find out soon. 

It is a high school rule that bench personnel cannot leave the vicinity of the bench to participate. I was just told that the Bowling kid will be out tonight against Washington County.  

• Like 1