Reacher (Amazon Prime Series)

Any fan of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child happen to catch the Amazon Prime series yet?

I binged the 8 episodes over the past 3 nights and, in the end, enjoyed it for the most part.  The main difference here is casting.  If you're a fan of the books, you know that Tom Cruise was woefully, horribly miscast as Reacher in the two movies.  That little shrimp would get lost in a line of kids waiting to use the merry-go-round.  At least Alan Ritchson doesn't have that problem.  While he isn't Reacher's full 6'5" from the books, his 6'2" size is still large for Hollywood, so he still towers over most every other actor.

They've already said there's going to be a Season 2, based upon how the reception has been on this first one.  This one was based off of the "The Killing Floor", which was the very first Jack Reacher book Child wrote back in 1997.  (I had not read that one, so the plot was original to me.)  It will be interesting to see which book they adapt next.

I am a Reacher fan and read all the books at least once.  @mcpapamentioned the books in a thread a while back, so I tried them out.  

We are through the first four episodes of the Amazon series.  So far, although there are differences, the series captures the essence of the characters, and they are so far following the book plot line in general terms.

If anyone likes leisure reading of action novels, the Reacher series are great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doomer said:

I am a Reacher fan and read all the books at least once.  @mcpapamentioned the books in a thread a while back, so I tried them out.  

We are through the first four episodes of the Amazon series.  So far, although there are differences, the series captures the essence of the characters, and they are so far following the book plot line in general terms.

If anyone likes leisure reading of action novels, the Reacher series are great.

What's your thoughts on Ritchson's portrayal of Reacher?  There were some times where it seemed like he was very stiff.  His facial expressions in those scenes actually reminded me of Data from STNG, when he's trying to process something.  Very robotic-like.

I’m in episode 5 currently. I have not read the books, consequently I was not bothered by the casting of Cruise in the films. He definitely doesn’t have the intimidation at a look like the description I know of Reacher from the books, but I still found that he projected being someone you don’t want to mess with very well. Loved the first film, hated the second. 

My only major criticism so far is how they feel the clear need to put action sequences in every single episode. I guess they’re afraid they’ll get bored. I don’t love that from a pacing perspective. 

I've read most of the books (all of them up through about 2015), and physically, Ritchson fits the bill. I do feel like Reacher comes off with more humor than he has in the books, which isn't necessarily bad. While I do like the action, and enjoyed the series, I felt like there was almost too much of Reacher beating people up. It's almost like every other scene is just a set up for Reacher to give someone a beat down. In the books Reacher is very intelligent and uses his wits as much as his muscle, and Ritchson, at least to me, doesn't project "smart". Not saying he's just a big dumb guy, I just feel the muscle definitely takes precedence over the brains. And with all the comments from other characters about his size, I think that's the point, almost like they are trying to compensate for casting a much smaller Tom Cruise in the movies.

Overall though, it's a solid series and does the books justice, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

You are not going to find a bigger Jack Reacher fan on earth than me. If I like a book I will read it at least twice, because I pick up different things the second time through. I own every Jack Reacher book and its audio version, including the short stories, and have read or listened to them all many times. Therefore, I am more than capable of picking out each discrepancy in this series. And that is why my wife refused to watch it with me. She binge watched it twice while I was at work and loved it. 

With that preface, I will tell you that I just finished the series and I loved. I liked how they worked Neigly in, though she is not in the book, the twist with the Kliner kid, and the Stan Lee bit. The love interest of Blind Blake was missing and they totally messed up the references to the short story "Second Son" which the cutaways to Jack's child hood were portrayed. FWIW, the scene with Reacher's mother dying is from "The Enemy". 

The book was written in first person, so they had to make Reacher more verbal or the show would be nothing but voice overs by Jack and him staring at the camera. 75% of the book is what is going on in Reacher's head. That doesn't translate well to a visual medium. 

While Jack Reacher reacher is cerebral, he fights a lot. He has multiple altercations in every book. In "Second Son" Jack's lizard brain is revealed as he solves multiple situations for his dad and the MPs (How he is portrayed n that scenario is the only thing i did not like about the series). Since most of the books are written in first person, those who have read them know he is cerebral, but his solution to righting wrongs often manifests itself in violence. 

They've already started on season 2. I hope they stay with the publish order of the books, which means the next one is "Die Trying". I can see how they may skip the books set in Reacher's past and keep doing cutaway references to them, though "The Affair" and "Night School" would be fun to see. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@swampratI'm right there with you.  I've read every book at least twice as well.  Your synopsis is solid. 

I think they missed an opportunity, for at least some point in the series, attributing the French Medal to Reacher's grandfather as opposed to his mother and her amazing and heretofore secret past during WWII. Or, at least they will have to backstep to tell the story.  

I probably enjoyed the book, The Affair, as much as any other, and it also provides a lot of insight as to why he lives the way he does.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, swamprat said:

Season 2 will be "Die Trying". Yes!! 

Reacher actually has a phobia that reveals itself in this book. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it. If done right, everybody should cringe. 🤨

Great book.  I’m excited!

• 2 months later...

Just saw on Facebook that they've picked the book that series two will be based off of...it's Bad Luck and Trouble.  That's the 11th book in the Reacher series.  Looks like Neagley will be the only other returning character from season one (as you'd expect).