Turkey Or Ham for Thanksgiving?

Randy Parker

Turkey or Ham for Thanksgiving?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Turkey or Ham for Thanksgiving?

On 11/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Not necessarily a different meat, but both sides of my family are Italian; all four grandparents right off the boat. Both sets of grandparents and by extension, my parents, are very steeped in the tradition of having a big Italian dinner before the traditional Thanksgiving meal. Antipasto first, usually a soup second, then usually ziti, lasagna, or spaghetti with Italian sausage/meatballs. There is usually a small turkey with some traditional sides after but the vast majority of it goes home with everyone as leftovers. 

My daughter is married into an Italian family. Her mother-in-law fixes lasagna and a big pot of sauce and meatballs. She also makes a big turkey with all the fixings. I put her sauce all over everything. It's become kind of a tradition for me to get the carrots in the sauce every year. Love that stuff.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Not necessarily a different meat, but both sides of my family are Italian; all four grandparents right off the boat. Both sets of grandparents and by extension, my parents, are very steeped in the tradition of having a big Italian dinner before the traditional Thanksgiving meal. Antipasto first, usually a soup second, then usually ziti, lasagna, or spaghetti with Italian sausage/meatballs. There is usually a small turkey with some traditional sides after but the vast majority of it goes home with everyone as leftovers. 

Love it!

Turkey

We smoke the bird each year. Stuffed with celery, onion, garlic, lemon, &apple. Injected with a chipotle (just for a little heat) seasoned butter. Liberally seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. 225°F for 3 hours (smoking with combo of oak/apple), 325°F for 2 hours. One hour rest in foil wrap. 

I'm hungry already!