Bowling Green vs. St. Xavier Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2021 at 11:30 PM

St. Xavier at Bowling Green

Bowling Green Perspective:  The St. X vs BG game, to my knowledge, hasn’t ever been the last game of the season, so this year is a new twist.  The Tigers are clearly the favorite this season, as they have played solid football the last month, at least.  Bowling Green comes into this game on a 2-game win streak after going through a long 3 game losing streak.  Some much needed positive energy was gained during the last 2 weeks.

Last Week:  To be honest, one of the weaker Christian County teams I’ve seen visited BG last Friday and the Purples earn the running clock with about 2 minutes to go in the 3rd Quarter.  BG kicked 3 first half field goals and ran the ball effectively on a thin Colonels defense.  BGs defense did what needed to be done and some of the second and third string guys got to play some, which is a good sign.

This Week:  I’ve seen St. Xavier play at Owensboro and Trinity this season and they are a really good team.  QB Jack Sivori is the Tigers difference maker, as he is a very elusive, competitive, tough runner along with being an effective passer.  He will really challenge a very good Purples defense.  But the other side of the ball presents BG much more problems, as X has solid playmakers all over, while BG still struggles for continuity at times and should find the St X D-Line much more difficult to deal with than Christian County's (HA!).  I expect a solid hard fought game, but I just don’t see the Purples ending on top of this one.

I posted this for @Purple88

This is a important game for St. X because of RPI. Tigers are #2 in RPI and if want to ensure home field in rounds 3 & 4 of playoffs need to win this one. 

Common opponent:

St. X 49 PRP 22

Bowling Green 7 PRP 0

Last year, Bowling Green won 14-0 and I'm sure Coach Wallace will remind the Tigers of that so they shouldn't have a let down.

Can the Purples upset the Tigers in their new stadium?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I see a 28-10 victory for St. X. I think St. X will control the first half and I can see both teams wanting to make sure they have their team ready and healthy heading into the playoffs. So with that in mind I could see this game being played with a scrimmage type feel. I don't mean that neither team wants to win because obviously they're playing the game for a reason and St. X will want to avenge the loss of last years season opener. But I don't think Coach Wallace is going to try to "prove" anything to the BG faithful, and will want the game to be in hand and then be able to play some backups. 

• Like 3

Both teams have played extremely tough schedules!    

BG:                                         St. X

Highlands                               Owensboro

McCracken                             Central

PRP                                         Male

Hoptown                                 Cincinnati Elder

Boyle County                          Trinity

Father Ryan                            Ryle

South Warren                         Manual

Greenwood                            Butler

Christian County                    PRP

X                                             Bowling Green

• Like 4

Both teams have bee

3 hours ago, Brown said:

Both teams have played extremely tough schedules!    

BG:                                         St. X

Highlands                               Owensboro

McCracken                             Central

PRP                                         Male

Hoptown                                 Cincinnati Elder

Boyle County                          Trinity

Father Ryan                            Ryle

South Warren                         Manual

Greenwood                            Butler

Christian County                    PRP

X                                             Bowling Green

Both teams have been battled tested during the regular season that's for sure.

For either team, what do you want to see to have or keep a positive feeling heading into playoffs? Obviously, just like every game health is #1 priority. But is there something from a particular player or from a unit you'd like to see? For me, I like how St. X has evolved into a bit more play action/RPO scheme with Jack. I'd like to continue to see them execute that part of their offense. On defense, be able to keep a good team down. Early on, the offense seemed to jump out to good leads, but the defense seemed to struggle to play with that lead. Can the defense continue putting the clamps on offenses like they have in district play?

11 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Bowling Green not in 5A top 25 for scoring.  #8 in scoring defense.

4B6EAD70-ECEE-4471-B2D2-535CDD67D01F.png

BG lack of offensive continuity stems from only returning 2 starters from the 2020 season and starting a Freshman QB for the first time in history and being lean in the playmakers department for the first time in a long time.

BG's defense has continually been put in tough spots on the field and have made plays and also worn out.

Playing a tough schedule will do that to you as well.  But it also gives you a punchers chance in most games even if most don't think the Purples will win.

• Like 2