Douglass WR Dane Key Announcing his college choice after Thursday, Oct. 28

UK and it isn't close. All the FDHS boys are choosing the Cats. There are some that say Michigan has a chance, because UK didn't offer or recruit Dane's brother,  who is now with the Chiefs. That idea is far fetched in my eyes..

The kids are all buying into the atmosphere and upside UK is displaying. They want to be hometown heroes. 

I hope its not UK for his sake - UK will always run the ball and play defense - so it's not ideal for WR of his caliber.  UK is averaging under 200 yards passing a game (and they threw for 254 against Chatahoochie).  242 rushes vs. 142 passes.  Stoops limits the offense - always has, always will.   I am a UK grad and root for UK, but didn't want Wimsatt to go there either.

I wish Key the best where ever he goes - he's a great WR.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brown said:

I hope its not UK for his sake - UK will always run the ball and play defense - so it's not ideal for WR of his caliber.  UK is averaging under 200 yards passing a game (and they threw for 254 against Chatahoochie).  242 rushes vs. 142 passes.  Stoops limits the offense - always has, always will.   I am a UK grad and root for UK, but didn't want Wimsatt to go there either.

I wish Key the best where ever he goes - he's a great WR.

1. Wandale Robinson is the leading wide receiver in the SEC.

2. UK is currently 6-0, ranked eleventh in the country, set to play the number one team in the country and you are complaining about the coaching?

• Like 4

UK didn't throw the ball because:

1.  Their WRs couldn't catch the ball (since Randall Cobb), and

2.  Their QBs couldn't throw the ball (since Andre Woodson).

Once you get guys that can do that at an SEC level (few can), then UKs offense changes and those number will improve.

Wandale is a great example of this.  Get a guy that has SEC talent and he goes to the top of the SEC charts on receptions and yardage.  Throw in Josh Ali and the other FD WR and UK has some firepower throwing the ball.

Key would clearly continue the SEC talent level UK needs.  I'm biased but hope he goes to UK.  Good luck to him wherever he goes!

• Like 1

My post is about Key.  I do NOT think he should go to UK.  I wish him the best wherever he goes.  Here is why:

Stoops has CHOSEN to be a run/defense type team (and he is successful at it).  I think that is not good for a big/physical WR.  Will their be some plays for Key?  Yes, but it's not Stoops preference.  Percent plays passing under Stoops (UK Record in parentheses):

2013 44% (2-10)

2014 48% (5-7)

2015 49%  (5-7)

2016 36% (7-6)

2017 40% (7-6)

2018 36% (10-3)

2019 31% (8-5)

2020 36% (5-6)

2021 38% (Levis at QB) (6-0)

Stoops successful years have been a physical running team with solid defense - that's his formula and that the players he puts to the next level, O-line, RB's and defense (Yes Bowden and Robinson - but not many WR's).  Not a good combo if you are Key.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brown said:

My post is about Key.  I do NOT think he should go to UK.  I wish him the best wherever he goes.  Here is why:

Stoops has CHOSEN to be a run/defense type team (and he is successful at it).  I think that is not good for a big/physical WR.  Will their be some plays for Key?  Yes, but it's not Stoops preference.  Percent plays passing under Stoops (UK Record in parentheses):

2013 44% (2-10)

2014 48% (5-7)

2015 49%  (5-7)

2016 36% (7-6)

2017 40% (7-6)

2018 36% (10-3)

2019 31% (8-5)

2020 36% (5-6)

Stoops successful years have been a physical running team with solid defense - that's his formula and that the players he puts to the next level, O-line, RB's and defense (Yes Bowden and Robinson - but not many WR's).  Not a good combo if you are Key.

I'm going to put one more post on this and be done.  This is all correct and I as a UK fan am thankful Stoops has turned UK into a respectable team.  That's all I ever really wanted.

Stoops has shown that propensity to grind teams down with the Big Blue Wall, as any team would do with STARTING QBs in the SEC that include:

- Jalen Whitlow, Max Smith, Patrick Towles (love the kid, but in the SEC?), Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson do I need to go on?

At WR for UK since Randall Cobb, can you name any that have made a big difference except Lynn Bowden (and he had to play QB).  UK didn't have a QB to get Bowden the ball.

Why do I say this?  Because when you get the opportunity to get studs at these positions you do that and they make a difference.  Cobb, Bowden and this new crop of kids IMO will change UK to a more balanced offense.  I'm not changing Stoops and he loves to run - agree, but Cobb, Bowden, Robinson, Ali have/will get drafted and are/will play on Sundays!  Dane Key will be the next guy IMO!

So are you saying it'd be better to go to Miss. St. because they throw all the time?  I don't think so.  UK will have more wins in the next few years than the Bulldogs will and NFL teams want guys that know how to win. 

Just my opinion and I respect yours too!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Purple88 said:

I'm going to put one more post on this and be done.  This is all correct and I as a UK fan am thankful Stoops has turned UK into a respectable team.  That's all I ever really wanted.

Stoops has shown that propensity to grind teams down with the Big Blue Wall, as any team would do with STARTING QBs in the SEC that include:

- Jalen Whitlow, Max Smith, Patrick Towles (love the kid, but in the SEC?), Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson do I need to go on?

At WR for UK since Randall Cobb, can you name any that have made a big difference except Lynn Bowden (and he had to play QB).  UK didn't have a QB to get Bowden the ball.

Why do I say this?  Because when you get the opportunity to get studs at these positions you do that and they make a difference.  Cobb, Bowden and this new crop of kids IMO will change UK to a more balanced offense.  I'm not changing Stoops and he loves to run - agree, but Cobb, Bowden, Robinson, Ali have/will get drafted and are/will play on Sundays!  Dane Key will be the next guy IMO!

So are you saying it'd be better to go to Miss. St. because they throw all the time?  I don't think so.  UK will have more wins in the next few years than the Bulldogs will and NFL teams want guys that know how to win. 

Just my opinion and I respect yours too!

Good points and I hope Key is successful - I just know how great a player he is.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brown said:

2013 44% (2-10)

2014 48% (5-7)

2015 49%  (5-7)

2016 36% (7-6)

2017 40% (7-6)

2018 36% (10-3)

2019 31% (8-5)

2020 36% (5-6)

Your findings are on point.

I think UK playing offense they way they do is two fold.  Yes, Stoops is offensively conservative by nature, but that's also what has allowed UK to climb out of the cellar and be consistently competitive.  I don't think a high volume passing attack was going to help the Cats win games.  We all know what happens to spread teams that have a bad offensive game.  A lot of three and outs, and too much pressure on the defense.  Running the ball also chews the clock and gives the defense a break.  As previously mentioned above, UK also hasn't had the players to pass well, until this year.  Hopefully recruits see how explosive and successful WRs can be at UK without passing the ball more than half the time.  

• Like 2

• theguru changed the title to Douglass WR Dane Key Announcing his college choice after Thursday, Oct. 28