BYU, UC, UCF, Houston Official to Big 12

Walter

Do you think they go with an East/West set up with 14 teams and then 12?  How does SEC place Texas and Oklahoma for football?  Opposite divisions with the always play them in cross over?  This could give the SEC a chance to maybe balance out the 2 divisions with a more even look?  

Also this strengthens Big 12 football conference with the Top 2 leaving.  For basketball it really doesn't do much.

Should just try and get Rice and SMU and set up an "these are what is left of the old SWC division". 🙂

Which if anyone remembers was one of the most crooked conferences ever....also basketball was kind of like an afterthought in those days in that conference!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30424417/i-wishof-well-demise-southwest-conference-25-years-later

if you are bored this is a great read about that infamous conference.

9 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Luke Fickell will receive a long term extension as well with the expansion.

Just got a contract extension through 2026.

Indoor Practice Facility will be the first priority. Was in the works before any expansion talk and there's already been meetings between the AD, Fick, and architects to discuss details and a plan.

During his time at UC, Fick has always worried about upgrades for his players and staff before himself. 

15 hours ago, cincyswords said:

Do you think they go with an East/West set up with 14 teams and then 12?  How does SEC place Texas and Oklahoma for football?  Opposite divisions with the always play them in cross over?  This could give the SEC a chance to maybe balance out the 2 divisions with a more even look? 

I think divisions are all but finished in the SEC. There has been a lot of talk about pods. If I were in charge, I would give each school three permanent opponents (ex: Kentucky vs. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Missouri; Tennessee vs. Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Alabama; etc.). That would leave twelve other opponents - you play six of them each year. That guarantees you play a home-and-home with every schools in the SEC every four years; no kid would play four years at a school without hosting and visiting every other league opponent.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cincyswords said:

Also this strengthens Big 12 football conference with the Top 2 leaving.  For basketball it really doesn't do much.

I would hope the B12 goes with an East/West instead of North/South. If they do East/West divisions, I could see it looking something like this:

East: UC, West VA, UCF, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State (Oklahoma)

West: Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, BYU, Houston (Texas)

Everything I've read suggests the SEC will go with a 4 pod system when OU/Texas join.

As far as basketball goes, the Big 12 has been either 1 or 2 in kenpom the last 4 years. (B1G finished 1 two years)

You lose:

Texas: 26, 61, 25, 36

Oklahoma: 39, 36, 32, 48

And replace them with:

Houston: 5, 14, 12, 18

Cincinnati: 116, 44, 29, 4

BYU: 20, 13, 86, 73

UCF: 100, 117, 34, 111

I'd expect the Big 12 to continue to be one of the top 2 basketball leagues on an annual basis with those 4 additions. 

6 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Losing Texas and Oklahoma is obviously huge. However, the addition of these four teams makes for a pretty nice conference. I'm curious if BYU's move will be football only or all sports.

BYU move will be for all sports. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Walter said:

I would hope the B12 goes with an East/West instead of North/South. If they do East/West divisions, I could see it looking something like this:

East: UC, West VA, UCF, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State (Oklahoma)

West: Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, BYU, Houston (Texas)

Everything I've read suggests the SEC will go with a 4 pod system when OU/Texas join.

As far as basketball goes, the Big 12 has been either 1 or 2 in kenpom the last 4 years. (B1G finished 1 two years)

You lose:

Texas: 26, 61, 25, 36

Oklahoma: 39, 36, 32, 48

And replace them with:

Houston: 5, 14, 12, 18

Cincinnati: 116, 44, 29, 4

BYU: 20, 13, 86, 73

UCF: 100, 117, 34, 111

I'd expect the Big 12 to continue to be one of the top 2 basketball leagues on an annual basis with those 4 additions. 

Fascinating on the basketball.  I would have guessed Texas and Oklahoma to have been higher that that over the past 4 years.  

• theguru changed the title to BYU, UC, UCF, Houston Official to Big 12