Grant County’s Mason Guffey Transfers

If Grant County could have kept all the players from the county together, they would have a pretty stout team. Mason Guffey , Moore who plays for Owen County, Smithers from Walton and the guard who transferred to Holy Cross last year plus the Hammonds boy who will be a junior this year.

46 minutes ago, Deaconjim said:

If Grant County could have kept all the players from the county together, they would have a pretty stout team. Mason Guffey , Moore who plays for Owen County, Smithers from Walton and the guard who transferred to Holy Cross last year plus the Hammonds boy who will be a junior this year.

Why they all leave?  Would have been a nice team, Ever since middle school when they moved kids up seemed to doom the others.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I was told from a parent down there, that they've actually had like 20 kids either quit or transfer just since Utter has been the coach. Also was told that Coach Guffey will be on the Taylor staff. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 12:16 AM, BigRob said:

Unfortunately, I was told from a parent down there, that they've actually had like 20 kids either quit or transfer just since Utter has been the coach. Also was told that Coach Guffey will be on the Taylor staff. 

You were unfortunately told wrong.  Kids who get cut from grant county end Up transfers to Williamstown.  Blake Robinson parents left because coach utter told his mom to shut her moouth during a game.  She yelled at him to leave her son in.  Robinson girl did leave as well.  Seems like a Robison thing not a Grant county thing.  Guffey’s left because of a issue with the dad and school system/bus driving… not basketball.  All other transfers were insignificant because they were either cut or the 10,11 12th man in a rotation.  Moore never went to Grant.  Smithers was a williamstown kid. Yes if Moore and Smithers went there they would no doubt be good.  If Guffey stayed they had top 10 back.   Now they have top 9 back.  Grant will be fine.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 5:41 PM, Woodsman said:

You were unfortunately told wrong.  Kids who get cut from grant county end Up transfers to Williamstown.  Blake Robinson parents left because coach utter told his mom to shut her moouth during a game.  She yelled at him to leave her son in.  Robinson girl did leave as well.  Seems like a Robison thing not a Grant county thing.  Guffey’s left because of a issue with the dad and school system/bus driving… not basketball.  All other transfers were insignificant because they were either cut or the 10,11 12th man in a rotation.  Moore never went to Grant.  Smithers was a williamstown kid. Yes if Moore and Smithers went there they would no doubt be good.  If Guffey stayed they had top 10 back.   Now they have top 9 back.  Grant will be fine.  

Blake did not leave due to the coach being unprofessional, we moved. I should know because this is Matt, the father of Blake. He was given the option and he chose to leave. As for my daughter, the same was offered to her due to the change of address. The total dynamic at Grant had changed and was not an environment they chose to stay. So, I wouldn't say it was a "Robinson thing". To comment on the post about the kids transferring, there have been several do so or just quit all together. Oh, she didn't yell at him to keep him in, she said he made one mistake and he was pulled. Different rules for different players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2