Disparity in atmosphere of finals

33 minutes ago, theguru said:

Additionally, the weather can't be overlooked.  The football finals are normally long, cold days and I believe any unnecessary down time is a negative.

I don't think it necessarily adds any down time. There is plenty of time before the games. Maybe 15:00 before kickoff, they start running through the player pictures/intros on the jumbotron and that leads up to kickoff. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I don't think it necessarily adds any down time. There is plenty of time before the games. Maybe 15:00 before kickoff, they start running through the player pictures/intros on the jumbotron and that leads up to kickoff. 

That would be great and honestly the smoke machines mentioned in this thread would be nice.

Hopefully the Commish is reading this thread and thinks about all the suggestions. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wrn1979 said:

The answer to the question can be found in the KHSAA general ledger for the 2018-2019 school year. 

$1.2 million in tickets sold to boys basketball

$370,000 in tickets sold to football.

Curious, is the $370,000 for all rounds of football playoffs, in all classes?

39 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Curious, is the $370,000 for all rounds of football playoffs, in all classes?

I can’t speak to that. I would assume it’s just for the state championship games, but you would have to ask someone who’s hosted one of those early round games as athletic director.

43 minutes ago, wrn1979 said:

I can’t speak to that. I would assume it’s just for the state championship games, but you would have to ask someone who’s hosted one of those early round games as athletic director.

Well, if the $1.2 million attributed to basketball is looking at all 15 games of the Sweet 16, and if football is only allowed to count 6 games, then there SHOULD be a discrepency.

2 hours ago, wrn1979 said:

The answer to the question can be found in the KHSAA general ledger for the 2018-2019 school year. 

$1.2 million in tickets sold to boys basketball

$370,000 in tickets sold to football.

Total attendance at the 2018 KHSAA Gridiron Bowl, for all 6 games, was 39452. That's per the KHSAA's Football Playoff Attendance Comparison (1984 To Present).

$370,000 ÷ 51,845 = $9.78

I can't remember what I paid for my tickets at the 5A finals in 2018, but I'm pretty sure they were $15 (don't quote me on that though). And I was in regular seating in the lower level. They also had higher priced tickets at Kroger Field in the Woodford Reserve and Field Club Reserve. I realized there are going to be "comp tickets" throwing things off a little somewhere in the mix, but I'm not sure the number exactly add up there.

For comparison, tickets to this year's KHSAA Sweet 16 games are $16 each.

Total attendance at the 2019 KHSAA Sweet 16, for all 8 games, was 96048. That's per the KHSAA's Boys Basketball Attendance, 1978 To Present.

1,200,000 ÷ 96,048 = $12.49

9 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Total attendance at the 2018 KHSAA Gridiron Bowl, for all 6 games, was 39452. That's per the KHSAA's Football Playoff Attendance Comparison (1984 To Present).

I can't remember what I paid for my tickets at the 5A finals in 2018, but I'm pretty sure they were $15 (don't quote me on that though). And I was in regular seating in the lower level. They also had higher priced tickets at Kroger Field in the Woodford Reserve and Field Club Reserve. I realized there are going to be "comp tickets" throwing things off a little somewhere in the mix, but I'm not sure the number exactly add up there.

Total attendance at the 2019 KHSAA Sweet 16, for all 8 games, was 96048. That's per the KHSAA's Boys Basketball Attendance, 1978 To Present.

Also...

51,845 (attendance) ÷ 6 (games) = 8,641 average attendance per football game

96,048 (attendance) ÷ 15 (games) = 6,403 average attendance per basketball game

On 4/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Looking at the populations of the 20 most populous counties in the state: 

University of Kentucky: 46.37% (1205K) have the shortest drive-time to this stadium.
University of Louisville: 39.47% (1027K) have the shortest drive-time to this stadium.
Western Kentucky University: 14.16% (370K) have the shortest drive-time to this stadium.

If you remove WKU from contention, then it puts UofL ahead of UK with 53.63% to 46.37%.

1704462193_2019Kentucky20MostPopulousCounties.thumb.jpg.2c6e40649cd6295fc58a50aa4af745b9.jpg

If you look at the KHSAA's Football Playoff Attendance Comparison (1984 To Present), within the 6-class era:

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium average attendance in 2 years hosting: 40,693
Houchens Smith Stadium average attendance in 8 years hosting: 39,524
Kroger Field average attendance in 3 years hosting: 49,698

I realize that average attendance numbers aren't everything...the cost of actually renting the stadium obviously applies as much or more. And also, there's no denying that which teams are playing where will have some applicability in numbers. But still, I have to look at the averages and think that Kroger Field's average attendance being almost 25% higher has to be a VERY pertinent figure when it comes to which stadium hosts the state football finals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

If you look at the KHSAA's Football Playoff Attendance Comparison (1984 To Present), within the 6-class era:

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium average attendance in 2 years hosting: 40,693
Houchens Smith Stadium average attendance in 8 years hosting: 39,524
Kroger Field average attendance in 3 years hosting: 49,698

I realize that average attendance numbers aren't everything...the cost of actually renting the stadium obviously applies as much or more. And also, there's no denying that which teams are playing where will have some applicability in numbers. But still, I have to look at the averages and think that Kroger Field's average attendance being almost 25% higher has to be a VERY pertinent figure when it comes to which stadium hosts the state football finals.

This!

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I’m just telling you what was in their own accounting reports from their board of control meeting in July of 2019.

I went back to 2019 because they were actually able to host both events in their entirety that year.

edited for clarity: I did round the numbers. That 1.2 mil was more like 1.19 and some change. The 370,000 was I believe 367 and some change.

• Like 1