16 NIT teams announced

16thBBall Fan

A few surprises from the NIT bracket that I noticied right of the bat is Louisville and Duke not being in it. I have to think they declined. Another team left out that really surprises me is Belmont with 26 wins I thought they would be in for sure and I would have thought they would have accepted.

• Thanks 1

I just read online that both Louisville and Duke both turned down the NIT even before the selection show for the NIT as soon as the NCAA tournament selection show concluded they both said they would not play in the NIT. Other schools who the article said declined to play in the NIT were Xavier, St. Johns, and Seton Hall. I would thank that Cincinnati would have as well but the story did not mention the Bearcats.

58 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I just read online that both Louisville and Duke both turned down the NIT even before the selection show for the NIT as soon as the NCAA tournament selection show concluded they both said they would not play in the NIT. Other schools who the article said declined to play in the NIT were Xavier, St. Johns, and Seton Hall. I would thank that Cincinnati would have as well but the story did not mention the Bearcats.

I believe a few years back the NCAA (which owns the NIT) made a rule that schools were not allowed to turn down a bid to the NIT. However, with Covid and teams having already spent most of the year in a quasi-bubble, I imagine they gave those schools an opportunity to say no and let their kids go home.

3 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I believe a few years back the NCAA (which owns the NIT) made a rule that schools were not allowed to turn down a bid to the NIT. However, with Covid and teams having already spent most of the year in a quasi-bubble, I imagine they gave those schools an opportunity to say no and let their kids go home.

How is the NCAA going to force a team to accept a bid? What’s the penalty if they don’t?