December 19, 200619 yr Author Im still trying to figure out what happened on the first drive. Chad makes a questionable catch and instead of hurrying up to get off another play, Marvin calls time out. The play gets overturned after Indy looks at it and the rest of the game is history. Chad asked for it. I think he got in the "man" region as he went down...
December 19, 200619 yr Chad asked for it. I think he got in the "man" region as he went down... They should have taken him off the field for a play, and ran the ball. The timeout was the worst call possible in that situation.
December 19, 200619 yr Author They should have taken him off the field for a play, and ran the ball. The timeout was the worst call possible in that situation. Easy to say after the fact. Dungy would have thrown the flag before they got a play off as well...
December 19, 200619 yr Easy to say after the fact. Dungy would have thrown the flag before they got a play off as well... Once again, I agree. Those who lay it at the feet of this play, are making a HUGE assumption that he doesn't throw it before the snap.
December 19, 200619 yr I'll hold firm that the game was over the second Willie went out... I think you are perched on a mighty strong branch with that statement. I think it is amazing they are doing as well as they have been with the loss of Levi, Braham and the others being in and out as much as they have been.
December 19, 200619 yr Final AFC North Standings: Baltimore 12- 4 Pittsburgh 9 - 7 Cinco 8 -8 ??? You always show up for losses dont you...:irked:
December 19, 200619 yr I am very disappointed in the coaching last night of the team. Yeah the Colts run defense has not been that good, but all these games when they gave up huge numbers have come against cut back runners, and Rudi is not that type. This is the game where we missed Chris Perry more than anything, because he is a cut back runner and we seen the success he had last year. So I hated how we just tried to run the ball most of the time instead of doing what we do good. Yeah the Colts have a great offense and we want to keep them off the field, but what do you think we are, we are a great offense as well. I know once Willie went down it hurt the chances of our passing game because Palmer had no time to throw. But I just didn't like what we were doing before Willie even went down. And now for the defense, I could see why we started off using that scheme because it is a good scheme to use IF you 4 lineman can get pressure on the QB. But if they can not get pressure Manning is going to pick us apart like he did. So I didn't like how we didn't make any adjustments and started to atleast try to put alot more pressure on Manning, because I mean what we were doing wasn't working so why not try something else. I mean have they not seen that the teams that usually slow down Manning our teams that put pressure on him. Anytime Manning gets time to throw he is going to pick any team apart....
December 19, 200619 yr Also did Levi dress last night? If he did why didn't we put him in, cause Whitworth could not stick with Freeney at all...
December 19, 200619 yr CP cannot have only 11 attempts total while its still only the 3rd quarter. Not that big of a deal playing the Colts...the game plan was to pound the ball against the defense, and it was working pretty good until Anderson went down. The Bengals aren't going to beat the Colts in a shootout in the RCA Dome. Their best chance to win was to pound the ball, control the clock and keep Peyton off the field. Once WA went out, the chance for success doing that went way down, and like GT said, the chances for a win were basically gone...
December 19, 200619 yr Not that big of a deal playing the Colts...the game plan was to pound the ball against the defense, and it was working pretty good until Anderson went down. The Bengals aren't going to beat the Colts in a shootout in the RCA Dome. Their best chance to win was to pound the ball, control the clock and keep Peyton off the field. Once WA went out, the chance for success doing that went way down, and like GT said, the chances for a win were basically gone... Do you all not realize that we have one of the best offenses in the league just like the Colts? We are not the Steelers and Jags, we are the Bengals. The Steelers and Jags stuck to what their strengths was and that was running the ball. Also did you not see that both of those teams have cut back runners in Parker, and Taylor and Jones. And well Rudi is not a cut back runner, and those are the types of runners that give the Colts more of a problem. We came out and tried to be a team we wasn't, we tried to be like the Jags and run the ball at them, and that got us field goals. Im sure if they Steelers and Jags and the weapons like we do in the passing game, they probably wouldn't have run the ball quite as much as they would. I know once Willie went down it did kind of force us into running the ball more because Palmer had no time at all to pass, but I very much disliked our stretegy to start the game. We needed to to stick with what makes us a great offense, and that was having a good mix of both, and I mean that has been very successful. But instead we tried to run and keep Manning off the field and that resulted in field goals. While Manning controled the clock and kept us off the field, except they were getting touchdowns out of it... Hopefully though if we get a chance to see them again we will have a health Levi and Willie for the whole game...
December 19, 200619 yr I am very disappointed in the coaching last night of the team. Yeah the Colts run defense has not been that good, but all these games when they gave up huge numbers have come against cut back runners, and Rudi is not that type. This is the game where we missed Chris Perry more than anything, because he is a cut back runner and we seen the success he had last year. So I hated how we just tried to run the ball most of the time instead of doing what we do good. Yeah the Colts have a great offense and we want to keep them off the field, but what do you think we are, we are a great offense as well. I know once Willie went down it hurt the chances of our passing game because Palmer had no time to throw. But I just didn't like what we were doing before Willie even went down. And now for the defense, I could see why we started off using that scheme because it is a good scheme to use IF you 4 lineman can get pressure on the QB. But if they can not get pressure Manning is going to pick us apart like he did. So I didn't like how we didn't make any adjustments and started to atleast try to put alot more pressure on Manning, because I mean what we were doing wasn't working so why not try something else. I mean have they not seen that the teams that usually slow down Manning our teams that put pressure on him. Anytime Manning gets time to throw he is going to pick any team apart.... The bold part was what I was screaming, but there were adjustments made. They pressed and blitzed several times and every time it was a big play.
December 19, 200619 yr Do you all not realize that we have one of the best offenses in the league just like the Colts? We are not the Steelers and Jags, we are the Bengals. The Steelers and Jags stuck to what their strengths was and that was running the ball. Also did you not see that both of those teams have cut back runners in Parker, and Taylor and Jones. And well Rudi is not a cut back runner, and those are the types of runners that give the Colts more of a problem. We came out and tried to be a team we wasn't, we tried to be like the Jags and run the ball at them, and that got us field goals. Im sure if they Steelers and Jags and the weapons like we do in the passing game, they probably wouldn't have run the ball quite as much as they would. I know once Willie went down it did kind of force us into running the ball more because Palmer had no time at all to pass, but I very much disliked our stretegy to start the game. We needed to to stick with what makes us a great offense, and that was having a good mix of both, and I mean that has been very successful. But instead we tried to run and keep Manning off the field and that resulted in field goals. While Manning controled the clock and kept us off the field, except they were getting touchdowns out of it... Hopefully though if we get a chance to see them again we will have a health Levi and Willie for the whole game... I meant exactly what I said. The Bengals aren't going to beat the Colts in a shootout. So, cutback runners notwithstanding, let me tell you what I realize. 1) Yes, the Bengals have a great offense. It can be explosive, but it can also be punishing and clock-controlling. Rudi Johnson and the running game are a big part of that success. Cutback runner or not, he was having success last night until Willie Anderson went down and we fell behind. 2) Our defense isn't very good, and that's an understatement. It relies heavily on turnovers. The odds of getting TO's from Peyton at home are marginal at best. Couple that with the fact that the Colts offense is at least equal to Cincy's, and it's not hard to figure out that we're going to have trouble keeping them from scoring. The best way to do that is keep them off the field. How do you keep them off the field? Typically, if you can't stop them, you keep the ball away from them, which is done most effectively by running the ball. 3) The strength of Indy's defense is it's pass rush. While it's horrific against the run, it can wreak havoc when it gets you into a passing game. Add to that the fact that you have Dwight Freeney (probably the best pass rusher in the game) matched against a rookie offensive tackle, on the road, on a fast playing surface, in a very loud and hostile environent. Problems are likely...see Carson's first fumble. The Bengals best chance to win that game was exactly what they tried to do. Pound the ball with Rudi (a Bengal strength vs. a Colt weakness), control the clock which keeps Indy's offense off the field (a Colt strength vs. a Bengal weakness) and can take the crowd out of the game. The offensive plan was going pretty well until we lost our stud RT. Had we chose to try and go toe-to-toe with the Indy offense, we would have played right into their strengths.
December 19, 200619 yr I didn't see near enough PA. If they run the PA at Freeney he slows down. Why abandon a strength that also goes with the gameplan?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.