Open Job: Highlands

I thought for the fun of it....why not start a thread regarding this new opening.

I will throw out there some names that I know from NKY that might be interested just to get some discussion about the job.

• Nina Kearns - was already on Alex's staff, will she come back to be the Head Coach
  • Chris Sturm - Highlands alum, this is a longshot since I know he has created a very nice program at Dixie
  • Greg Baker - rumor has it he was interested when Alex got the job, will he try again
  • Stephanie Graves - daughter will be a freshman at Highlands, was on the staff with Wief
  • Wil Cagle - college experience coach, has been involved as DOC with NKSA, now with Kings merger does he want to get back into coaching
  • Eric Busner - also a past Thomas More asst
  • Bryan Runyon - I know he just jumped to the Ryle program during this offseason, does he pull a Bill Belichick and sneak out at the middle of the night and move over to the Highlands program prior to coaching a game at Ryle

I am sure other people have some more names out there.....Who you got???

15 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I thought for the fun of it....why not start a thread regarding this new opening.

I will throw out there some names that I know from NKY that might be interested just to get some discussion about the job.

• Nina Kearns - was already on Alex's staff, will she come back to be the Head Coach
  • Chris Sturm - Highlands alum, this is a longshot since I know he has created a very nice program at Dixie
  • Greg Baker - rumor has it he was interested when Alex got the job, will he try again
  • Stephanie Graves - daughter will be a freshman at Highlands, was on the staff with Wief
  • Wil Cagle - college experience coach, has been involved as DOC with NKSA, now with Kings merger does he want to get back into coaching
  • Eric Busner - also a past Thomas More asst
  • Bryan Runyon - I know he just jumped to the Ryle program during this offseason, does he pull a Bill Belichick and sneak out at the middle of the night and move over to the Highlands program prior to coaching a game at Ryle

I am sure other people have some more names out there.....Who you got???

For some reason I remember hearing that the former Xavier girls soccer coach applied last time and was a leading candidate. I can't remember his name though. Any chance he applies again? 

2 hours ago, Big Red said:

Bill Lorenz is a Highlands guy and might be an interesting candidate.  He used to be a part of NKSA coaching leadership, and I think his daughters have graduated by now.

I don't want this to come across as bashing Bill....but I know Bill and even though he is a nice guy and does have some years on the club circuit as a parent/coach I wouldn't want to hand over the keys to the 3 time defending 9th Region program to Bill.

By all means if he wants to throw his hat in the ring to join the new HC staff, then go for it.  BUT the top job I don't think so....

It be like handing over the Highlands football HC job to the seasoned vet of a  coach in the FTJFL.....that's not going to happen but maybe a staff position sure/maybe.

12 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Very interesting reading!  So the program is winning and kids and parents unhappy? I know girls are a tad different and I have zero ties to the program; but Wow!  Who would coach these days. 

I think it has to be a burning desire or no thanks.

Highlands needs to find someone that isn't a parent to limit any drama up front.

They need to find a coach that will continue to teach the girls and allows them to play soccer.  So many old school coaches in high school that just play the long ball and don't possess the ball.  Highlands plays soccer, and that is what has kept them at the top.  The teams that compete for state year in and year out play soccer.  Their rival will continue to play soccer with Suli at NDA.  

14 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Highlands needs to find someone that isn't a parent to limit any drama up front.

They need to find a coach that will continue to teach the girls and allows them to play soccer.  So many old school coaches in high school that just play the long ball and don't possess the ball.  Highlands plays soccer, and that is what has kept them at the top.  The teams that compete for state year in and year out play soccer.  Their rival will continue to play soccer with Suli at NDA.  

Totally AGREE, that is why now that the football craziness is over finding that coach, Matt better be in hot pursuit of finding a big time quality coach to take over the reigns to the CURRENT #1 NKY girls soccer program.  I get that NDA is up there but until they knock off Highlands....Highlands is the #1 program in the last 3 years!

I do agree that I am "wowed" by the hiring of NDA coach and the staff he has created to help him lead NDA, so they are "all in" now Highlands has to step up and match NDA.

If Highlands plays their cards right they will continue to be at the top for the next 3 years at least!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nees1212 said:

They had that.  A good young energetic coach that grew up playing high level soccer, them for 4 years in high school and 4 years collegiately.  To some, that was not good enough because HE cost them winning a state title because he did not know how to play and coach their girls.   I have to agree with Guru on this one, not sure who wants to step into the hornets nest.

• Like 1

I'm agreement with all of this thread. 

Highlands did have a good coach and it showed on the field.  I know its safe to say that other teams actually had "coach envy," and would advise not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Kudos to NDA's AD for taking this hire seriously, and landing on Suli.  The staff he announced is impressive, will be welcomed, and appreciated.

Let me make this as crystal clear as possible.  I have the upmost respect on what Alex did for the Highlands program these last 3 years.  He brought 2 Runner Up State Trophies to the Trophy case.  He won 3 straight Region Titles.  In my opinion he did it with respect and dignity (and yes Highlands had a great coach).  

BUT.....

I love my kids and Highlands and am HOPING the administration does the best thing for this program and hires a top notch Coach to lead this program!  The talent is there, this isn't a rebuild....I know there are some issues that will need to be dealt with but hopefully the new coaching staff/administration can rectify those.

Go Birds!!!

3 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Let me make this as crystal clear as possible.  I have the upmost respect on what Alex did for the Highlands program these last 3 years.  He brought 2 Runner Up State Trophies to the Trophy case.  He won 3 straight Region Titles.  In my opinion he did it with respect and dignity (and yes Highlands had a great coach).  

BUT.....

I love my kids and Highlands and am HOPING the administration does the best thing for this program and hires a top notch Coach to lead this program!  The talent is there, this isn't a rebuild....I know there are some issues that will need to be dealt with but hopefully the new coaching staff/administration can rectify those.

Go Birds!!!

I too hope the administration takes the same approach as they did to the football position and find the right person and staff for the job.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would insert something on this thread since we are still waiting as a soccer family who will be our new leader.  The soccer program held their virtual banquet a week ago.  Thought I would publish the winners of the MVP awards....future looks bright Birds!

VARSITY AWARDS:

MVP - FAITH BROERING (Jr)

OFF MVP - LANEY SMITH (Fr)

Def MVP - KENZIE NEHUS (Sr)

JV AWARDS:

MVP - LINDSAY STEIN (Fr)

OFF MVP - KATE JAIME (Fr)

DEF MVP - AVA MEYER (Fr)

FRESH AWARDS:

MVP - ALLI SOWER (Fr)

OFF MVP - SARAH JONES (8th)

DEF MVP - KENDALL GRAVES (8th)