Covington Holy Cross 83 Beechwood 65

This was not an upset.  These are two very good teams. Holy Cross shot lights out....50% from the field, 42% for 3 and 91% from the Free Throw line.  Teams that shoot as good as that don't lose.  Holly Cross has not shot like that all year. They also had 40 rebounds to Beechwood's 20 Rebounds, the real difference in this game.

Beechwood shot 42% from the field, 30% from 3 and only 50% from the FT line.  That's the difference.

Great games by Will Downton with 31 pts for Beechwood and Jacob Meyer from Holy Cross with 32.  There was alot of talent on the court tonight.  A very talented district and fun games to watch.

• Like 2

Thanks for those numbers. That tells the tale right there. It always, ALWAYS starts with defense.  If you can't stop the other team from scoring, not much chance of winning. Second, if you do get a stop you have to get a rebound and keep the team from getting a second shot.

I agree this is not an upset. The margin of victory I take with a grain of salt. Holy Cross beat Newport by 18 points early in the season and then only beat them by 2 when they met last week.  Things can happen in games that make a margin of victory look more lopsided then the true difference between the 2 teams.

Very often it comes down to style and matchups. @PaulBlart  points this out in his post above and I agree with that.

Can either of these teams beat Covington Catholic?  I'll go back to how I opened this post. Can either of them get stops and get rebounds (or create a lot of turnovers) against Covington Catholic?  Both teams' uptempo style could cause trouble for Covington Catholic but they have to get stops and get rebounds, and/or turnovers to make all of that work.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Thanks for those numbers. That tells the tale right there. It always, ALWAYS starts with defense.  If you can't stop the other team from scoring, not much chance of winning. Second, if you do get a stop you have to get a rebound and keep the team from getting a second shot.

I agree this is not an upset. The margin of victory I take with a grain of salt. Holy Cross beat Newport by 18 points early in the season and then only beat them by 2 when they met last week.  Things can happen in games that make a margin of victory look more lopsided then the true difference between the 2 teams.

Very often it comes down to style and matchups. @PaulBlart  points this out in his post above and I agree with that.

Can either of these teams beat Covington Catholic?  I'll go back to how I opened this post. Can either of them get stops and get rebounds (or create a lot of turnovers) against Covington Catholic?  Both teams' uptempo style could cause trouble for Covington Catholic but they have to get stops and get rebounds, and/or turnovers to make all of that work.

I would have to rate this as a mild upset.  Neither of these teams will beat CCH, no upsets when they meet CCH.