Ashland 41 Russell 7

GOREDDEVILS

Thanks for the updates DMC. Ashland is good, really good, but so is Russell and they were without some key players. I still didn't expect this result though. I'd imagine if and when these two teams meet later in the season it will be a lot closer. 

• Like 1

A one score game at halftime gave way to an absolute massacre in the second half. Ashland's defense was great from start to finish, but the offensive line came out after intermission and whipped the Devils in the trenches. The Tomcats ran for over 350 yards. I would guess about 275 or more came in the second half.

Russell turned Ashland over four times and still lost this badly. That's how one sided this was. Jachimczuk was never allowed to get comfortable in the pocket due to constant harassment from Ashland's front seven. Russell obviously missed Nathan Conley tonight, but he alone doesn't erase this margin. This was a night to forget if you're a Russell fan. They seem to have a lot of those lately at Putnam Stadium. 

Ashland is very good. They've got a great group of backs who run hard to compliment Pittman's speed. And the defense is typical of a Tony Love football team. Physical, disciplined in their assignments, fundamentally sound, and they run to the football. This cements them as a solid #3 in 3A.

16 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

Thanks for the updates DMC. Ashland is good, really good, but so is Russell and they were without some key players. I still didn't expect this result though. I'd imagine if and when these two teams meet later in the season it will be a lot closer. 

I'm not ready to hand the district to Ashland just yet, but Russell's got a lot of work in front of them if they're going to close this gap. In boxing terms, they looked like they had no idea how to respond to Ashland's punches in the second half tonight. Russell turtled up and laid on the ropes without throwing much back. I thought the offensive line was especially bad.

The good news is, they've potentially got about a month to figure something out before a possible rematch.

I expect if they meet again the game will be closer if Russell gets healthy. Will they Make up enough ground to beat Ashland? That is the question.  If they could play 2 good halfs instead of just one it's possible. Ashland will be tough out for any team in 3a in the playoffs.

17 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I thought Ashland would win but not this bad.

Agree.  I wish Conley would have been healthy for this game.  He would have helped open up the passing game for the Russell QB.  Not saying that Russell could beat them but I think it would have been a better game.  

2 hours ago, Reno said:

Agree.  I wish Conley would have been healthy for this game.  He would have helped open up the passing game for the Russell QB.  Not saying that Russell could beat them but I think it would have been a better game.  

Russell needs to not spot Ashland  a td  with snaps over the punters head resulting in a blocked punt which results in the a td next  time either. Ashland is already good enough as it is. Can't make many mistakes and expect to win against Ashland.

Also Welcome to  BGP Reno!

• Like 1