Reds at Pirates 9/04 - 9/06

I can go down the list. Every player on this team is underperforming expectations except Jesse Winker and Curt Casali. Castellanos started hot and is hitting under .200 over the last month. Shogo is a complete bust offensively. Injuries and the virus have hurt. It is time to put together a lineup and ride it out. Go with a set lineup, try to get the offense to jell and hope for the best. Here is my lineup hopefully every day the rest of the year.

DH Votto

CF Senzel

LF Winker

3B Suarez

RF Castellanos

1B Moustakas

C Casali

2B Galvis

SS Garcia

I would roll with that lineup every day for the next week to ten days and see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

What exactly is wrong with Senzel????

He’s been out too long for it to be Covid hasn’t he??

Projected to be back Tuesday. There are COVID positive players that have been out over one month. Jose Urena for the Marlins went on the COVID list 7/27 and is pitching in his first game of the year tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here are actual numbers to consider in the Votto "discussion":

• Votto is tied for fourth on the team in HR's, RBI and OBP.
  • Votto is 3rd in hits and runs.
  • Votto's OPS is better than the beloved Aquino's.
  • Since returning from his benching by Bell, Votto is hitting .292 with and .393 OBP.

He is not the Joey Votto of the past. But when Bell looks at his options, how does he sit one of his most productive offensive players? Facts are facts. 

Let's spend some time talking about the many other players on this team failing even more than Votto. There are a LOT of them. In fact, almost all of them are failing more than Votto.

You probably need to clarify “most productive players”, he’s been good at home but hitting .085 with 0 hrs and 0 rbi in road games obviously does not fall into “productive”, you’re right, facts are facts.  Glad to see you had him at DH in your lineup because he’s been abysmal defensively so on the road he’s actually giving up more runs than he’s producing!  The facts say he should be sitting out on the road!  Whew, what do we do next year if there’s no DH??

3 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

You probably need to clarify “most productive players”, he’s been good at home but hitting .085 with 0 hrs and 0 rbi in road games obviously does not fall into “productive”, you’re right, facts are facts.  Glad to see you had him at DH in your lineup because he’s been abysmal defensively so on the road he’s actually giving up more runs than he’s producing!  The facts say he should be sitting out on the road!  Whew, what do we do next year if there’s no DH??

What are your thoughts on all the other players on the team who are playing terrible? Who sits and who plays? What does your lineup look like?

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What are your thoughts on all the other players on the team who are playing terrible? Who sits and who plays? What does your lineup look like?

You’re right, there’s a BUNCH of guys that have played terrible, this team’s failure to be better than what they are does NOT just lie at Votto’s feet!!  I hold my breath whenever a ball is hit to right field, Shogo has done NOTHING to deserve the opportunity he’s been given, neither has Goodwin, Davidson is something like 1-25 or whatever, those are the main ones I think Aquino has earned MORE of a shot than he’s been given over, plus he’s shown to be pretty good defensively.  AND weeks ago Stephenson would have been my starting catcher, I know he’s only batted 3 times but to me in those 3 at bats he just looked like he belonged, sure of hisself, he surely could’ve done what Barnhart and Casali has??

On 9/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, mcpapa said:

As bad as this offense is, with the new playoff format, the Reds are something like a game and a half out of the postseason.  

I've tried to be optimistic but I've gotta believe with they way they've been playing and lucky enough to make playoffs, they're definitely one and done or 3 and done.

3 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

I've tried to be optimistic but I've gotta believe with they way they've been playing and lucky enough to make playoffs, they're definitely one and done or 3 and done.

I consider myself one of the most optimistic people on here, but the way they played against the Pirates leads me to believe this team's chance at the playoffs is over.  Dead.  Kaput.  Extinct.  Toast. 

Aside from starting pitching...EVERY position has under performed this year.  Every. Dang. Single.  One.   The only one that hasn't, is the one that they didn't really have before this year, and that's the DH (Winker).  There's plenty of blame to go around this year.  It's really sickening. 

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

I consider myself one of the most optimistic people on here, but the way they played against the Pirates leads me to believe this team's chance at the playoffs is over.  Dead.  Kaput.  Extinct.  Toast. 

Aside from starting pitching...EVERY position has under performed this year.  Every. Dang. Single.  One.   The only one that hasn't, is the one that they didn't really have before this year, and that's the DH (Winker).  There's plenty of blame to go around this year.  It's really sickening. 

That pretty much sums it up!!