Cincinnati Bengals Training Camp

I know most peoples attention has been on high school and college football, and if there will be or won’t be football being played at those levels.  However, at the moment it looks like we for sure will have an NFL season (knock on wood). We are less than three weeks from the first regular season games. 

So what are people’s thoughts on the Bengals so far, and what we are hearing from training camp?  It sounds like Joe Burrow has made a very good impression so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stud rookie QB. Improved O line with Jonah Williams. A great 1-2 punch in the backfield. A receiving core so loaded that a guy like Auden Tate will have trouble seeing the field. Defense improved in the draft and signed a very good safety in FA. Over/Under set at 6.5. I hammered that over. I’m taking 8-8 to the bank and not thinking twice. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

Stud rookie QB. Improved O line with Jonah Williams. A great 1-2 punch in the backfield. A receiving core so loaded that a guy like Auden Tate will have trouble seeing the field. Defense improved in the draft and signed a very good safety in FA. Over/Under set at 6.5. I hammered that over. I’m taking 8-8 to the bank and not thinking twice. 

I think Burrow will have a good rookie season - but let me be clear, I am saying a good season for a rookie. He might be in the top half of QB's in the league.

RB is probably the strongest position on the team.

O-line should be slightly better with Williams.

WR - I am no where near your assessment. AJ Green can't stay on the field. John Ross is a bust and is perhaps the softest football player I have seen in years. Boyd had a really good year but he was #25 in the league in yards as the #1 WR last year - that is #25 out of 32 teams. Tate is a role player at best - use him in the red zone. Higgins is a rookie and very few rookie receivers make a significant impact their rookie season. TE have been MIA the past couple years.

Defense I have concerns about. I believe they did upgrade linebackers, but they have been among the worst in the NFL at LB the past couple years so anything would be an upgrade. I like the Reader addition at DL but injuries are hurting depth on the DL. I am thinking 6 wins would be a good step forward this year.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think Burrow will have a good rookie season - but let me be clear, I am saying a good season for a rookie. He might be in the top half of QB's in the league.

RB is probably the strongest position on the team.

O-line should be slightly better with Williams.

WR - I am no where near your assessment. AJ Green can't stay on the field. John Ross is a bust and is perhaps the softest football player I have seen in years. Boyd had a really good year but he was #25 in the league in yards as the #1 WR last year - that is #25 out of 32 teams. Tate is a role player at best - use him in the red zone. Higgins is a rookie and very few rookie receivers make a significant impact their rookie season. TE have been MIA the past couple years.

Defense I have concerns about. I believe they did upgrade linebackers, but they have been among the worst in the NFL at LB the past couple years so anything would be an upgrade. I like the Reader addition at DL but injuries are hurting depth on the DL. I am thinking 6 wins would be a good step forward this year.

I am obviously very high on the receiving core. In fact I think we have the best receiving core in the AFC. AJ has had injuries issues but I believe this is the year he comes back and asserts himself as one of the top guys in the league. Boyd is a certified number one receiver. When I was putting together my rankings for my fantasy draft I have both him and AJ as top 20 receivers. Higgins I think is a stud and Tate is way more than just a Red Zone guy in my opinion. Tate can ball and he’s our 3rd guy. Our 5th guy is one of the fastest guys in the league. I don’t know maybe I’m just optimistic, but I have a hard time believing this group of guys won’t put up great numbers. I think we’ll have a playoff type offense. The defense will again lose a lot of games for us but will grow as the young guys get up to speed. Maybe I’m just overconfident. But for once relying on Bengals history gives me confidence. The last 2 high profile QBs we’ve had never had a losing record in their first 3 seasons starting. 

34 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Yes, he was our #1 receiver last year, but he was still running out of the slot, wasn't he?  A lot of those patterns just aren't going to get you those big yardage numbers per reception.  I mean, he still caught 90 balls last year, and had Ryan Finley throwing to him for three games.

Tyler's got more receptions, more yards and more TD's than TJ Housmandzadeh did through his first four seasons.  If there's a weakness in the WR field, it's not coming from your starting slot receiver.

5 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Yes, he was our #1 receiver last year, but he was still running out of the slot, wasn't he?  A lot of those patterns just aren't going to get you those big yardage numbers per reception.  I mean, he still caught 90 balls last year, and had Ryan Finley throwing to him for three games.

Tyler's got more receptions, more yards and more TD's than TJ Housmandzadeh did through his first four seasons.  If there's a weakness in the WR field, it's not coming from your starting slot receiver.

I was not knocking Boyd at all. He has been the Bengals best receiver by far the past couple years and the best receiver on the team right now with AJ Green's health issues. Until Green can get on the field and play in games, Boyd is our best receiver. My point on Boyd is our best receiver is probably the #20 receiver in the NFL. There are 20 teams with better receivers. If people are trying to say the Bengals receiving corps is special and he is our best, then I will question that.

As to the TJ comparison, TJ was injured a lot his early years so that is not a measuring stick. I think TJ missed almost an entire season one of those early years.

29 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Looks like the Bengals signed Mixon to an extension today. Mixon just posted a picture a few moments ago with Katie Blackburn and Duke Tobin all smiling in the picture. 

4 years, 48 million it looks like.