Dusty Baker Astros Manager

I'm happy for him. Everywhere he goes, he takes his team to the playoffs. He is a proven winner. If you look at his career numbers both as a manager and his 19-year career as a player, he should be in the HOF. One of the most success people in the history of baseball.

Or, maybe better stated, His teams take him to the playoffs.

I think we are on opposite sides on this one. Four different teams.... that is a lot of teams to take to the playoffs. Every one of those four teams was bad before he came and 3 of the 4 were bad the season after he left.

Here's a quick story about the kind of guy Dusty Baker is:

After the Reds had just lost Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS (where they had a 2-0 game lead and lost 3 at home to loose the series), Dusty was walking back through the tunnel to the Reds Clubhouse after finishing his post-game press conference. There was a group of fans taking a picture outside of the Diamond Club and as Dusty approached them the guy taking the picture mentioned Dusty to go on through. Dusty very nicely said "no, go ahead and get your picture". He waited until they were done then gave them a smile and a wave and then walked on back to the Clubhouse. Just can't think that there are that many Managers that would have first of all been that observant, or secondly would have been cordial enough to wait for those folks to get their picture. I was always a fan of Dusty as a player and Manager but that made me a fan of the man as well.

I'm happy for him. Everywhere he goes, he takes his team to the playoffs. He is a proven winner. If you look at his career numbers both as a manager and his 19-year career as a player, he should be in the HOF. One of the most success people in the history of baseball.

Dusty Baker getting in the HOF would be extremely consistent with the absurdity with which the BWAA votes. In no way Dusty Baker should even be in consideration for the hall of fame. He’s the living embodiment of good, not great.

Dusty Baker getting in the HOF would be extremely consistent with the absurdity with which the BWAA votes. In no way Dusty Baker should even be in consideration for the hall of fame. He’s the living embodiment of good, not great.

He is better than good and I don't think there is anyone in the HOF that is just "good". Let's at least call it very good, well above average or something like that. He is #5 all time in number of times managing his team into the playoffs. Every one of the top 15 on that list who is eligible for the HOF is in the HOF. And Dusty is #5 on that list. He will be in the HOF.

The 4 managers ahead of him on playoff teams are Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Casey Stengel.

MLB Managers | Baseball-Reference.com

He is better than good and I don't think there is anyone in the HOF that is just "good". Let's at least call it very good, well above average or something like that. He is #5 all time in number of times managing his team into the playoffs. Every one of the top 15 on that list who is eligible for the HOF is in the HOF. And Dusty is #5 on that list. He will be in the HOF.

The 4 managers ahead of him on playoff teams are Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Casey Stengel.

MLB Managers | Baseball-Reference.com

He’s the Andy Dalton of baseball managers.

I think we are on opposite sides on this one. Four different teams.... that is a lot of teams to take to the playoffs. Every one of those four teams was bad before he came and 3 of the 4 were bad the season after he left.

Dusty is a great guy - a "player's coach", which to me reads the lunatics run the asylum.

He has no - zero - personality or emotion.

He will suck the air out of a city and its fan base.

He is certainly not the guy I want coaching my potential contending team.

Andy would have to be top 5 in passing to be comparable to Dusty.

When Dusty had talent on the field he looked really good but still never got over the hump. When the talent wasn’t there around him, he looked mediocre. Sounds a hell of a lot like Andy Dalton to me. :idunno:

When Dusty had talent on the field he looked really good but still never got over the hump. When the talent wasn’t there around him, he looked mediocre. Sounds a hell of a lot like Andy Dalton to me. :idunno:

You aren't far off in your analogy. The difference is Dusty has accomplished a lot more in his career than Dalton. You actually have the wrong Andy. The better Andy to compare careers with Dusty is Andy Reid.