January 24, 20206 yr In the 2011-12 NFC championship game... Eli missed the week of practice leading up to the game with the flu. He threw the ball 58 times, no interceptions, and was hit hard 12 times. He was sacked 6 times. It may be the best game of his career.
January 24, 20206 yr I think the hall concept for sports has changed over the last 50-60 years. What use to be a place to honor the great it now includes the very good who played a long time. Now the big question is what are the criteria for being selected to any of the sports hall's of fame? As someone said, Eli wasn't great but if he gets voted in he is a hof'er. As I look back over the last 50 years, particularly in baseball, I feel the elite status of Cooperstown has been watered down by the inclusion of what I feel are good but not great players.
January 24, 20206 yr I thought Eli's runs to the Superbowl were more impressive than his MVP winning games, especially the first Superbowl. Second Superbowl he was really good and threw an all time great pass to Manningham so I give him that one. I thought Justin Tuck or someone else on that defensive line deserved MVP the first win over the Patriots. The feat that game wasn't that the Giants scored 17 offensive points, it was they held the Pats to 14. That said, he was given the awards, since awards are slanted towards offensive players, and you can't take that away from him. If you are writing out the pros/cons, I think the cons would outweigh the pros. But, Eli has the ultimate trump card in his pocket.
January 24, 20206 yr 2 super bowl MVPs (only 5 players in NFL history have done that) 4 playoff 4th quarter come backs (3rd most in NFL history) Top 10 in yards, touchdowns, completions. Never missed a game because of injury. And if you really look into the 2011 season, there's no arguing against him being a top 3 QB that year at the very least. He willed a team with the worst O-line in football, no running game, and a defense ranked near the bottom of the league all year, to the playoffs. In those playoffs, he led the Giants who beat the Aaron Rodgers led 15-1 Packers in Lambeau. He took on one of the best defenses in the league and beat San Francisco in San Francisco for the NFC title game. Then he went on to make one of the, if not the greatest throw in super bowl history on a game winning drive (his pass to Manningham in SB 46 is as perfect of a throw as Ive ever seen). That was just the 2012 season. I don't know where you get that he was near the bottom of the league late in his career. He played on some bad teams, but very rarely was Eli the reason the Giants lost. I didn't say near the bottom (although he was dreadful in 2013). But he was closer to the bottom than he was to the top, meaning he was average at best. And throughout his career he never had a QBR over 93, and 8 of his 16 years he was below 85, and 5 of those years he was under 80. Not once did he lead the league in any major, statistical category...except interceptions, which he did 3 times. Maybe he wasn't the reason they lost, but he still lost half of the games he started.
January 25, 20206 yr I didn't say near the bottom (although he was dreadful in 2013). But he was closer to the bottom than he was to the top, meaning he was average at best. And throughout his career he never had a QBR over 93, and 8 of his 16 years he was below 85, and 5 of those years he was under 80. Not once did he lead the league in any major, statistical category...except interceptions, which he did 3 times. Maybe he wasn't the reason they lost, but he still lost half of the games he started. No one cares about QBR. John Elway led the league in yards one time. He didnt lead the league in any major stat other than that either. He had a QB rating of 79.9 for his career. Did anyone complain as much when he went into the HOF? Eli is a HOFer and has the career to support it. Idk why so many are offended by that :lol2:
January 25, 20206 yr Some other interesting numbers... Eli has the NFL record for most passing yards in a single playoffs. He has the NFL record for most 4th quarter Td passes in a season. Tied NFL record for most game-winning drives in a season.
January 25, 20206 yr No one cares about QBR. John Elway led the league in yards one time. He didnt lead the league in any major stat other than that either. He had a QB rating of 79.9 for his career. Did anyone complain as much when he went into the HOF? Eli is a HOFer and has the career to support it. Idk why so many are offended by that :lol2: Not offended by it. I just don’t think he necessarily deserves it. But there are others in that I don’t think were as good as him, so again, so it is hard to argue keeping him out. I’m one who believes the HOF actually now just the Hall of Very Good, and that standards are set a little too low. Elway is an interesting comparison. Very similar to Eli, and Eli’s numbers are really better. The big difference between the two is Elway only had two losing seasons, and only one as a full time starter.
January 25, 20206 yr Not offended by it. I just don’t think he necessarily deserves it. But there are others in that I don’t think were as good as him, so again, so it is hard to argue keeping him out. I’m one who believes the HOF actually now just the Hall of Very Good, and that standards are set a little too low. Elway is an interesting comparison. Very similar to Eli, and Eli’s numbers are really better. The big difference between the two is Elway only had two losing seasons, and only one as a full time starter. And Elway probably had better teams around him. Eli has had garbage around him the last several years. And where does it say its the Hall of only players with elite numbers who have lead the league in statistical categories? Why do so many try and diminish the major accomplishments he does have? Its not like he was a bum his entire career and lucked into two super bowls and super bowl MVPs. He had a great career overall, and had those two miraculous seasons on top of it
January 25, 20206 yr One funny thing about this debate. Eli doesn't care about it at all. He doesn't care what any of us think about his career. ?
January 25, 20206 yr One funny thing about this debate. Eli doesn't care about it at all. He doesn't care what any of us think about his career. I actually think that was Eli’s greatest trait. Phased by nothing and in his own universe. Couldn’t have cared less about anything.
January 25, 20206 yr And Elway probably had better teams around him. Eli has had garbage around him the last several years. And where does it say its the Hall of only players with elite numbers who have lead the league in statistical categories? Why do so many try and diminish the major accomplishments he does have? Its not like he was a bum his entire career and lucked into two super bowls and super bowl MVPs. He had a great career overall, and had those two miraculous seasons on top of it I’m not trying to diminish anything. I’ve said numerous times that he’s had a really nice career and I me we called him a bum. And while numbers aren’t everything, they do serve as a point of comparison. And perhaps the fact that he played during an era with several other elite QB’s is what makes him stand out less to me.
January 25, 20206 yr I’m not trying to diminish anything. I’ve said numerous times that he’s had a really nice career and I me we called him a bum. And while numbers aren’t everything, they do serve as a point of comparison. And perhaps the fact that he played during an era with several other elite QB’s is what makes him stand out less to me. How many of those elite QBs from this era can say they won multiple super bowls? How many have multiple super bowl MVPs? That is enough, on top of everything else he did, to cement his spot in the hall. Its not even a question.
January 25, 20206 yr Jim Kelly is a pro football hall of famer. His career QBR is 84.4. He won no super bowls. Was never the league MVP. Troy Aikmans numbers really arent that great. Was never league MVP. Didnt lead the league in anything as far as I can tell. Career rating of 81.6. Im not saying these guys dont belong. They are there for a reason. There are plenty of reasons why Eli should be there too.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.