Louisville City FC New Logo....Or Not...Again.

That's an excellent question. I don't know what this illustrates more...the club's disconnect from it's supporters, or the fans being unreasonable.

I guess my take is, I'm not sure that I've ever been all too fond of the purple and gold. I know they were originally trying to match the colors of Orlando City, but I wasn't too fond of their colors to begin with. I would prefer a darker purple if you're going with purple, and I would have used gold much more sparingly than they did in the original logo. I think the purple/black/grey scheme is a little drab, sure, but I thought the new logo was an improvement on the original.

@Getslow @TheDeuce ...any thoughts from you two?

Let me start by saying that hardcore soccer fans are complete snobs. :lol2:

They released the new logo, complete with filling the team store with all new gear and memorabilia donning the new logo and a big celebration party. A large number of fans threw a hissy fit about it. I personally like the new logo. One of the biggest gripes I saw on social media was that they used "Lou City" instead of "Louisville City." I somewhat agree with that. People didn't think that the nickname (Lou City) should be on the crest. There were also complaints that the circle of stars was cut off. I'm certainly no graphic designer, but that did not bother me in the least. I didn't even really think about it until I saw people complaining.

Ultimately the club listened to the fans and rolled back to the original logo. I think it was fine originally, minus the gold. I'm not a big fan of gold in general. They are taking input from fans, but as is with anything, some people aren't going to be happy. I don't think they should try to cater to everyone. Pick a shield and go with it, I promise they will still buy it, especially moving into a new stadium.

That's an excellent question. I don't know what this illustrates more...the club's disconnect from it's supporters, or the fans being unreasonable.

I guess my take is, I'm not sure that I've ever been all too fond of the purple and gold. I know they were originally trying to match the colors of Orlando City, but I wasn't too fond of their colors to begin with. I would prefer a darker purple if you're going with purple, and I would have used gold much more sparingly than they did in the original logo. I think the purple/black/grey scheme is a little drab, sure, but I thought the new logo was an improvement on the original.

@Getslow @TheDeuce ...any thoughts from you two?

It's important to remember that this is still second division soccer, so unlike MLS teams, which get MASSIVE incentives and subsidy from the US Soccer Federation, we're essentially on our own in an extremely unstable environment.

I say that to say this: they clearly tried to do this on the cheap and so a cheap logo is what they got.

The design elements were misaligned, the color scheme is poor, and the image has zero depth to the elements which makes it look like they put it together in Microsoft Paint.

Doe Anderson was heavily involved and while they're an exceptional ad agency, they're not a branding agency and this task was clearly way outside their comfort zone.

I love the fact that they issued the mea culpa and are headed back to the drawing board. They announced last week that they're now working with a world-renowned branding expert that's worked with numerous soccer teams before. My hope is that it's Matthew Wolff, a name well known to folks who pay attention to this stuff.

His most recent work was with USL's Charleston Battery just last year. Their redesigned logo is almost perfect. His website has a whole bunch of his soccer-specific work.

SOCCER CRESTS - Matthew Wolff

This was the most preposterous image to come out of the whole thing.

That line isn't horizontal.

What exactly is "pointing upward"?

and

Their "triangle"... HAS FOUR BLEEDING SIDES!

And if that line is representative of the Ohio River, shouldn't it start in the bottom left corner and move toward the top right?

• 1 year later...