Sep 4 vs. Lloyd Memorial

Sep 11 vs. Ryle

Sep 18 at Scott

Sep 25 at Conner (District)

Oct 2 vs. Covington Catholic (District)

Oct 9 at Highlands (District)

Oct 16 vs. Cooper (District)

Oct 30 at Campbell County

The Rebels will be repeating their 2019 schedule in 2020 with the game sites all swapped. Boone County was 2-8 in 2019 against this schedule, with their wins coming in the first two games of the season. They had 26 seniors, 26 juniors, 23 sophomores, and 2 freshman on the roster last year.

For reference:

Boone County - 2019 Schedule

Are there 3 wins on that schedule?

Only if Boone County is better in 2020.

I am curious to hear what @oldgrappler has to say about it.

This is a good question. I think they beat Holmes and Dunbar, though I don't have any knowledge about whether Dunbar will be improved over last season. Boone beat them by 6 points so that is a toss-up game. If Lloyd is not as good as they were last season, again a topic on which I have no knowledge, Boone may beat Lloyd. There was an 8-point differential last year, though Lloyd was easily the more physical team and didn't seem to be in jeopardy of losing its lead at any time in the second half. So, I think 3 wins are possible, but a 1-win season is just as likely. The most probable result is 2 wins for a third year in a row.

I do think Boone will be improved in the 2020 season. A second year under Coach Warner will help. Also, the juniors from the 2019 team were the strength of the team last season and they will be seniors in 2020, which is why I think Boone will be improved for the 2020 season. But that improvement won't be enough to add any wins beyond the three possible I mentioned above.

To put things in perspective, I do not think the 2020 team will be as good as the 2018 two-win team.

This is a good question. I think they beat Holmes and Dunbar, though I don't have any knowledge about whether Dunbar will be improved over last season. Boone beat them by 6 points so that is a toss-up game. If Lloyd is not as good as they were last season, again a topic on which I have no knowledge, Boone may beat Lloyd. There was an 8-point differential last year, though Lloyd was easily the more physical team and didn't seem to be in jeopardy of losing its lead at any time in the second half. So, I think 3 wins are possible, but a 1-win season is just as likely. The most probable result is 2 wins for a third year in a row.

I do think Boone will be improved in the 2020 season. A second year under Coach Warner will help. Also, the juniors from the 2019 team were the strength of the team last season and they will be seniors in 2020, which is why I think Boone will be improved for the 2020 season. But that improvement won't be enough to add any wins beyond the three possible I mentioned above.

To put things in perspective, I do not think the 2020 team will be as good as the 2018 two-win team.

I can’t remember did they beat Holmes this year? Holmes ended up being pretty good this year and we’re pretty young I believe. Holmes probably will be even better next season. So I think that will be a hard game for them to win.

I can’t remember did they beat Holmes this year? Holmes ended up being pretty good this year and we’re pretty young I believe. Holmes probably will be even better next season. So I think that will be a hard game for them to win.

Boone won the match-up with Holmes 20-6 in 2019, 49-0 in 2018. They had a common opponent in Scott in 2019. Boone lost to Scott 30-8. Holmes beat Scott on Oct. 25, 50-38. Then Holmes lost to Scott in the first round of the playoffs 29-40.

You have a point. Maybe the game against Holmes will be more competitive than I first thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Boone beats Campbell, Dunbar, Lloyd, and Cooper. Prediction 5-5 regular season. Not sure where coach Warner finds the 5th win but it’s in there. You heard it here first.

Some competitive games in there for Boone next year! Look forward to seeing the improvement from year 1 to year 2.

From your keyboards to God's ears. Go Rebels!!!!!

Boone beats Campbell, Dunbar, Lloyd, and Cooper. Prediction 5-5 regular season. Not sure where coach Warner finds the 5th win but it’s in there. You heard it here first.

Some competitive games in there for Boone next year! Look forward to seeing the improvement from year 1 to year 2.

I think it will be similar to last year. Where they are competitive early and maybe even win one or two of the first three games and then nothing really after that. @YOUTH2019 thinks wins over Campbell and Cooper. Cooper beat them 54 to 0 last year, I doubt Boone all of a sudden flips that into a win. Then Campbell had a rough year last year and still beat Boone 26 to 6. Which Campbell should be improved from last season too. So I doubt Boone improves that much to flip those scores. I honestly thought Boone may have regressed some last year, more than improved. In 2018 against a tougher schedule they still only won two games too, but seemed to be a little more competitive while going against a tougher schedule. Not to mention I believe scored 100 more points in 2018 than 2019.

So while it is good to be positive, especially within the program. At the same time from the outside looking in, I think it would be hard to make as big as turn around as some have suggested here. When in reality when you look at everything and the results they may have took a small step back last year from the previous year.

Boone had a roster full of inexperienced kids last year. If I remember correctly, I think only 2 kids on the entire roster had varsity experience. Next year they should have 20 plus with varsity experience including almost all of the defense back. I'm also hearing that some kids have transferred in from another school in the area and more may be coming. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this rumor. With what Boone has coming back and if there truly are some unhappy kids moving in, I could see them getting to 5 wins.

I think it will be similar to last year. Where they are competitive early and maybe even win one or two of the first three games and then nothing really after that. @YOUTH2019 thinks wins over Campbell and Cooper. Cooper beat them 54 to 0 last year, I doubt Boone all of a sudden flips that into a win. Then Campbell had a rough year last year and still beat Boone 26 to 6. Which Campbell should be improved from last season too. So I doubt Boone improves that much to flip those scores. I honestly thought Boone may have regressed some last year, more than improved. In 2018 against a tougher schedule they still only won two games too, but seemed to be a little more competitive while going against a tougher schedule. Not to mention I believe scored 100 more points in 2018 than 2019.

So while it is good to be positive, especially within the program. At the same time from the outside looking in, I think it would be hard to make as big as turn around as some have suggested here. When in reality when you look at everything and the results they may have took a small step back last year from the previous year.

This is exactly my thought. It is realism.

I would love to see the season wind up as some others have suggested. There are some really good kids on the team that will give you everything they got. For their sakes, I'd love to see a giant step forward this season.

Boone had a roster full of inexperienced kids last year. If I remember correctly, I think only 2 kids on the entire roster had varsity experience. Next year they should have 20 plus with varsity experience including almost all of the defense back. I'm also hearing that some kids have transferred in from another school in the area and more may be coming. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this rumor. With what Boone has coming back and if there truly are some unhappy kids moving in, I could see them getting to 5 wins.

They took a step back last year from the previous year. So with more experience as you mentioned, maybe they get to the point where they were at in 2018 where they are more competitive and score at least as much as 2018. They scored less than 100 points last year I believe. With that said a couple of teams mentioned that someone thought they would beat. Cooper beat them by 54 points in a game that was over in the first half. Cooper returns some of their top players and their sophomore qb is back with a full year experience. Campbell was a young team last year too, and inexperienced and still beat Boone 26 to 6. Holmes who Boone did beat last year, will be a much better team this year and more confident than the team Boone barely beat last year, because of the nice end of the year run Holmes had.

So while Boone may have a little more experience this year to help make them more competitive. That is still a pretty big jump for them to get to 5 wins as some say. I think they may be a little more competitive but at the end of the day still fighting to get to around 2 wins and even that will be tough if they can’t get those 2 wins at the beginning of the season.

• 6 months later...
Sep 11, 20 Ryle home     7:00 PM  
Sep 18, 20 Scott away     7:00 PM  
Sep 25, 20 Conner away     7:00 PM  
Oct 2, 20 Covington Catholic home     7:00 PM  
Oct 9, 20 Highlands away     7:00 PM  
Oct 16, 20 Cooper home     7:00 PM  
Oct 23, 20 Valley away     7:30 PM  
Oct 30, 20 Campbell County away     7:00 PM  
Nov 6, 20 Walton-Verona away     7:30 PM

• 5 weeks later...