Newport Central Catholic 40 Somerset 24

Birdsfan

What type of injury did Vickers sustain?

Ankle injury that occurred at the end of a run.

The play was Vickars running the ball and he initially was stopped but twisted free and nearly broke it when he was tripped up. As he was rolling on the ground in the clear a Somerset player hit him late and drew the 15 yard penalty. But as far as I could see that hit did not cause the injury as that was nearer to the head thus drawing the penalty. He did not return after that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ankle injury that occurred at the end of a run.

The play was Vickars running the ball and he initially was stopped but twisted free and nearly broke it when he was tripped up. As he was rolling on the ground in the clear a Somerset player hit him late and drew the 15 yard penalty. But as far as I could see that hit did not cause the injury as that was nearer to the head thus drawing the penalty. He did not return after that.

I talked with him and that late hit did cause the injury. The other kid did hit him high (actually helmet to helmet) but Michaels foot was planted under him and it bent his leg back behind him. I thought it was his ankle also but it is not.

I tell you there is 1 kid for NCC that I have not seen his name mentioned but Geroge Gardner, man that kid has a motor!! He played from sideline to sideline last night. Seems like his name was mentioned in every defensive play. Also your stud Zach Kiernan, played hard and from the stands just seemed like a gracious kid with a lot of class. Helped our kids from the pile as did young men from both sides last night.

I want to thank all of our kids for making us proud the last 2 years, but especially to Cam Jones, who went down early with an injury, bud you are the heart and soul of that defense and I hate that you went down early. However you showed that warrior spirit by trying to get back in there. Love ya man!! K-MO keep your head up son, The Somerset Briar Jumpers do not even play in this game 2 years in row without you!! Do not let 1 play get you down man, you led this team to this game!!!!!

Great crowd last night and N.C.C. players, fans, and students if there was a state championship title for CLASS, You win hands down!!!

I tell you there is 1 kid for NCC that I have not seen his name mentioned but Geroge Gardner, man that kid has a motor!! He played from sideline to sideline last night. Seems like his name was mentioned in every defensive play. Also your stud Zach Kiernan, played hard and from the stands just seemed like a gracious kid with a lot of class. Helped our kids from the pile as did young men from both sides last night.

I want to thank all of our kids for making us proud the last 2 years, but especially to Cam Jones, who went down early with an injury, bud you are the heart and soul of that defense and I hate that you went down early. However you showed that warrior spirit by trying to get back in there. Love ya man!! K-MO keep your head up son, The Somerset Briar Jumpers do not even play in this game 2 years in row without you!! Do not let 1 play get you down man, you led this team to this game!!!!!

Great crowd last night and N.C.C. players, fans, and students if there was a state championship title for CLASS, You win hands down!!!

Good post on the NCC players, fans, and students. I know after the regional title game that after hands had been shook and trophies presented, several NCC players came back over to our team to shake hands again. That shows respect for each other and is truly a class act. In my experience once you start reaching this level in the playoffs all the programs are class acts.

I talked with him and that late hit did cause the injury. The other kid did hit him high (actually helmet to helmet) but Michaels foot was planted under him and it bent his leg back behind him. I thought it was his ankle also but it is not.

I hate it that the Vickars kid got hurt but it wasn't a late hit. The call was a "spearing" call. The Somerset player was already about to hit him when he went down. I hate it that the kid might have to miss the finals but it wasn't a cheap shot by any means.

You are correct Chief the Jumper player had already commited to the tackle when Vicars went down and when he rolled over and started to pop up our guy couldn't change his angle. Hate that he was hurt like that though.

Now the late hit out of bounds on our sideline hurt us and put us in a bad hole. In talking to some of the NCC fans after the game though not one of them complained or called it a cheap shot we were just all hoping the kid would be ok to play next week.

Funny story, after the game 1 of the young people from NCC was shouting out his car window "Where are we going next week, ... STATE" when a group of students walked by and said "Yeah we have been there before so act like it!!" Dude just rolled his window up and sat there.

Vickers has a injury to his leg and recieved a xray saturday.(no word yet on his condition) #26 is Chip Burks, strong hard running back. A very very good backup

Michael's X-Ray is Monday. He will find out Then his chances for Friday. I will say he looked much better yesterday evening. I think he will be able to go Friday personally. That is just my opinion though,we will let the doctor make the call. But much of the pain was gone and after a full day of ice and heat there was no swelling at all.

So, any word about Vicars?

Watching the highlights on tv #26 is a pretty darn good backup to have to him........

Yes indeed, Chip is a great kid as well as a great back. I personally don't consider him a back up. He gets alot of carries even when Vicars is in. They are two completely different backs though. Chip is straight up the gut and runs over the defence. Vicars runs by them. Michael speed is awesome as his chips strength. They are a awesome combination. IMO

This was a great game and both teams came out ready to play. The game was a couple turnovers and big plays away from somerset winning big. It seemed that they had there way with the Newport defense. Props go out to NEWCATH they always kept fighting and playing hard. Also Somerset played really well and should have won. I still firmly believe Somerset was the better. Way to go out Somerset. Also congrats to John Cole who broke the record great season.