No Complaints about Baseball Playoffs?

Where are all the complaints about the lopsided baseball playoffs? Why isn't anyone complaining about teams with terrible records getting into the playoffs and losing 18-0 in 3 innings? Look at the District playoff scores:

219 Kentucky High School Baseball

Look at those scores! Yet no one complains? People scream bloody murder about lopsided football playoffs and I think these baseball playoffs are even worse. But no complaints! Come on people. Give it up on your whining about the football playoffs. These baseball scores and your silence make you all look like a bunch of hypocrites.

And let's not forget all the people complaining about blowouts. Look at today's scores in the regionals.

219 Kentucky High School Baseball

Blowouts are all over that scoreboard. But, I guess blowouts in the baseball playoffs don't bother anyone. I'll keep this in mind when I hear all the complaining about blowouts in the football playoffs.

If touchdowns counted as 1 point, no one would get upset about football. But 56 to 0 sounds so much worse than 8 to 0.

You'll hear a 35 to 7 win in football described as a beat down...but 5 to 1 does not really feel like a beat down in baseball.

If touchdowns counted as 1 point, no one would get upset about football. But 56 to 0 sounds so much worse than 8 to 0.

You'll hear a 35 to 7 win in football described as a beat down...but 5 to 1 does not really feel like a beat down in baseball.

5-1 isn’t a beat down in baseball because a team down 4 runs can tie it up with one swing of the bat. It’s not as hard to come back from larger deficits in baseball, because you will always get your chance to swing the bat, and because of the ability to score multiple runs during your teams half inning at the plate. Large deficits are much harder to overcome in football because you can only score once per possession, and at some point, you simply can’t possess the ball enough to come back.

5-1 isn’t a beat down in baseball because a team down 4 runs can tie it up with one swing of the bat. It’s not as hard to come back from larger deficits in baseball, because you will always get your chance to swing the bat, and because of the ability to score multiple runs during your teams half inning at the plate. Large deficits are much harder to overcome in football because you can only score once per possession, and at some point, you simply can’t possess the ball enough to come back.

One difference is one has a clock and the other doesn't...baseball can last into infinity, football cannot. But one team scoring 4 or 5 times in 13 possessions and one team scoring 2 or 3 times in 12 possessions is deemed a blowout by many in football...yet 5 to 2 is a typical baseball score. The inflated points of the football scoring system make it look worse than it really is.

Don't overlook after a football score your opponent gets their chance. In baseball you have consecutive chances to keep your scoring going until that 3rd out. Probably lots more comebacks from being down big in baseball than football. Football running clock at 36 pts. Baseball mercy rule maybe as much about pitch count as stopping any embarrassment and its certainly not about preventing injury.

Don’t think you can compare the two. I think the majority of the complaints were the physical pounding that 4 seeds were taking and the amount of travel to a first round game. I don’t think many baseball teams are losing money traveling distance to these games.

What do we think is more common? A baseball team coming back from 5-0, or a football team coming back from 35-0?

It’s easier to score in baseball than it is football.

The nature of the game is that it takes longer to score in football and add in that it's timed, football is naturally harder to come back in.

What do we think is more common? A baseball team coming back from 5-0, or a football team coming back from 35-0?

It’s easier to score in baseball than it is football.

I equate a 10 run lead in baseball to 36-0 in football. That is each sport's mercy rule.

Don’t think you can compare the two. I think the majority of the complaints were the physical pounding that 4 seeds were taking and the amount of travel to a first round game. I don’t think many baseball teams are losing money traveling distance to these games.

The KHSAA's new rule fixes the travel complaint. I don't like the new rule that makes the first two rounds intra district rematches, but it does remove travel as a complaint in those first two rounds.

I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree; however, let me pitch a devil's advocate scenario. Baseball is a funny sport and in my opinion, one of the only sports where anything is possible in a "single elimination - winner advances" game. Yesterday alone, Campbell County, Ohio County, Larue County and Logan County lost by a combined score of 41 to 4 in their regional games. The combined record of these schools is 92-55. Even good teams can get trounced in a single elimination game. It's not just the bad teams.