BGP QOTD: Who makes the all-time Western Kentucky all star team?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For kicker, Houston Ray from Owensboro Catholic - Was a two-time Ray Guy Prokicker.com All-American and Prokicker National Kicking Championships High School Division Winner in 2011-2012. A 2012 Pre-Season All-American selection by Ray Guy Prokicker.com. A Second-Team All-State selection.

Edited by bugatti

For kicker, Houston Ray from Owensboro Catholic - Was a two-time Ray Guy Prokicker.com All-American and Prokicker National Kicking Championships High School Division Winner in 2011-2012. A 2012 Pre-Season All-American selection by Ray Guy Prokicker.com. A Second-Team All-State selection.

Where did he play in college?

Sam Ball of Henderson has to be on the list. Probably the best OLineman to ever come out of Western Kentucky.

Sam Ball - Wikipedia

Did he go to Henderson High School, or Henderson County? Both schools were around while he was in high school. Wikipedia had him listed as Henderson County. I'm going to assume that's correct?

Did he go to Henderson High School, or Henderson County? Both schools were around while he was in high school. Wikipedia had him listed as Henderson County. I'm going to assume that's correct?

Probably correct on the County. Not positive though either.

If this is all-time western ky team, shouldn't it be the players that were the best in high school? I'm not saying that it's not great that someone was All-SEC or went to Notre Dame, but that has no relevance to the all-time greatness of western ky. If you want to talk post-high school, seems to me like that would be a different list. Looks like most of these guys are making the list because they moved on a did things after HS. There are only a couple that are even on the all-time KHSAA list for anything.

If this is all-time western ky team, shouldn't it be the players that were the best in high school? I'm not saying that it's not great that someone was All-SEC or went to Notre Dame, but that has no relevance to the all-time greatness of western ky. If you want to talk post-high school, seems to me like that would be a different list. Looks like most of these guys are making the list because they moved on a did things after HS. There are only a couple that are even on the all-time KHSAA list for anything.

Correct...we're looking at high school careers here, not necessarily what they accomplished after. I think, especially with kickers, we see a lot accomplished once they get to college and have lots of focused one-on-one training day in and day out. REAL high school kicking talent is more rarefied.

Thought this would be fun here's my top 7 RB's I've seen since 1980 in WKY

1. Mark Higgs- Easy pick for me no question about it. Barry Sanders highlights. Also had the best NFL career than the rest.

2. Al Baker- Herschel Walker comes to mind. Was n California vocation awhile back and a man ask have you seen this guy play. It was Al Baker on front of the cover of a national magazine. Dude was 6'0 260 pounds and ran the 100 under 11 seconds. Never forget trigg was playing Christian County during their hey day it 4th and 35 around the 50 yard line and Trigg runs toss sweep Baker runs over the entire team and scores.

3. Henry Allen Fort Campbell- Deion Sanders of WKY. If you never saw this guy you really missed out. This cat was the fast back I've ever seen in person.

4. Artouse Pinner- Walter Payton. Tuff, fast and had unique balance. Just bounced off folks. Never saw a time where 1 guy took him down. Was one of the leaders in rushing in the SEC his senior year and played for the Lions.

5. Joey Casey Paducah- Casey was the only back where a offense could line in a spread 2 by 2 set and run toss sweep for big plays. He was that good. Really is tragic this guy had D1 body and ability.

6. Derick Thomas Paducah- People forget about this guy. This was one tuff back. Started as a true freshmen for Arkansas.

7. Emanuel Taylor Hopkinsville- Hoptown all time leading rusher in 2 years. 6'1 210 pounds with sprinter speed. Only played 2 years of organize football. Really could write a book about this guy. Just going say this guy was deaf in one ear and they had to put red shoes strings on his right foot. Got down hill in a hurray and would punish anyone who got in his way.

Thought this would be fun here's my top 7 RB's I've seen since 1980 in WKY

1. Mark Higgs- Easy pick for me no question about it. Barry Sanders highlights. Also had the best NFL career than the rest.

2. Al Baker- Herschel Walker comes to mind. Was n California vocation awhile back and a man ask have you seen this guy play. It was Al Baker on front of the cover of a national magazine. Dude was 6'0 260 pounds and ran the 100 under 11 seconds. Never forget trigg was playing Christian County during their hey day it 4th and 35 around the 50 yard line and Trigg runs toss sweep Baker runs over the entire team and scores.

3. Henry Allen Fort Campbell- Deion Sanders of WKY. If you never saw this guy you really missed out. This cat was the fast back I've ever seen in person.

4. Artouse Pinner- Walter Payton. Tuff, fast and had unique balance. Just bounced off folks. Never saw a time where 1 guy took him down. Was one of the leaders in rushing in the SEC his senior year and played for the Lions.

5. Joey Casey Paducah- Casey was the only back where a offense could line in a spread 2 by 2 set and run toss sweep for big plays. He was that good. Really is tragic this guy had D1 body and ability.

6. Derick Thomas Paducah- People forget about this guy. This was one tuff back. Started as a true freshmen for Arkansas.

7. Emanuel Taylor Hopkinsville- Hoptown all time leading rusher in 2 years. 6'1 210 pounds with sprinter speed. Only played 2 years of organize football. Really could write a book about this guy. Just going say this guy was deaf in one ear and they had to put red shoes strings on his right foot. Got down hill in a hurray and would punish anyone who got in his way.

Nice list but I'm just going to assume that you did not see Damon Hood play in high school. I realize he played east of Hoptown but he belongs, and not at #8.