Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dear Mom and Dad, and in some cases, School Personnel: Cool it

Featured Replies

What happens to refs when they don’t do their job?? Coaches send tapes to the assignor. They, assignor, agree with coach, yes, that was a bad call. A reduction in schedule, or in better terms, suspended games can occur. Officials do get penalized for missed rules applications. Assignor can defend judgement, block/charge, but not missed rules.

One call really make a difference, maybe, but how many missed lay-ups, shots within 10 feet, and lets not forget Free Throws that little Johnny or Sally missed in the game.

I’m right with you, I cheer like crazy when my kids team is playing. Try and go watch them same 3 refs do a game that don’t involve your kid, or team. Go watch them as a fan of the game.... might just realize they’re not as bad as you think.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the tape of the game by two neutral announcers who agreed the quality of officiating was terrible in the particular game I watched. There were multiple comments during the broadcast about this.

 

What happens when the assignor is also a fellow official and peer of those officials being questioned/challenged? What happens when you get an assignor with an agenda or axe to grind with a particular coach? What happens when it is the assignor whose calls are questioned by a school?

 

One bad call is a mistake, just like a bad shot, turnover, poor coaching decision, missed assignment, wrong defense, etc. Several bad calls on a single team or individual is more than human error. When one official makes multiple calls on a team while out of position, with a member of his crew in closer/better position, it raises questions by the players, parents, fans, and even impartial viewers with no "little Johnny or Sally" in the game.

There is no doubt officials have bias towards certain teams or coaches - they are human and I am not sure how to overcome this.

 

What can be overcome at the time of scheduling is obvious bias. There is one ref in the 9th who also coaches high achool kids in AAU and he ALWAYS is biased in their favor.

 

An AAU coach should NEVER be able to referee his team members in a high school game. And if one is scheduled for him, he should refuse the job!

Imagine doing a job that you know every night no matter how good a job you do, many people will be yelling at you that you are terrible. Every night. How long would you keep doing that job?

And that has changed since the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s? I think most officials know what they’re getting into when they sign up. I would guess several high school officials aspire to move up to the collegiate level where they know they won’t be yelled at . . . Yeah, right!

True. That doesn't make it a tougher or easier job now or then. It is a tough, thankless job where your goal is to have 55% approval each night.

I’d rather not identify the game, as I know refs monitor this site from time to time and I don’t want to bring even more adversity to a particular school.

 

If you are going to speak so boldly, I think you should have the guts to say what game you watched last night.

 

However, in this forum you can post in whatever manner you wish.

If you are going to speak so boldly, I think you should have the guts to say what game you watched last night.

 

However, in this forum you can post in whatever manner you wish.

 

PP1, I appreciate your position and curiosity, but I think it is less about guts and more about having the brains to realize that if I identify the game, referees, etc. then I can only do further damage to a team I cheer for. After looking at your posts from last night, I can assure you that it was not the same game you were reporting on. Thanks for understanding.

You are doing the right thing by not saying. I know a coach in recent years that took a stand against unfair circumstances and it has only gotten worse. The only thing worse than a bad official is corrupt ones.

Before a lot of officials chime in, I know most officials aren't corrupt. I also predict one of the whistle blowers will become a whistleblower in the future and shine a light on some of these things.

On a little lighter side on this topic: I have to give the Newport Central Catholic students some props for this one. Last night at the Highlands game after a call that went against NCC the students all started chanting "We Want Chappy", referring to an older 9th region official that wasn't at the game. The officials on the floor got a pretty good chuckle out of it.

On a little lighter side on this topic: I have to give the Newport Central Catholic students some props for this one. Last night at the Highlands game after a call that went against NCC the students all started chanting "We Want Chappy", referring to an older 9th region official that wasn't at the game. The officials on the floor got a pretty good chuckle out of it.

 

Good for them! It does make you appreciate the good referees when you watch one or two with a demonstrated bias. The game I watched on Tuesday had a good ref on the crew, and I started feeling sorry for him as the other two repeatedly made bad calls.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.