Open Job: Estill County

I don’t mean to get off track of this thread but your post reminds me of a conversation I had with an Estill school official years ago.

They were happy to get out of the 10th and into the 14th back in 2006. Nothing against the 10th but the people I knew in the system at that time felt they had a better opportunity to compete in the 14th and last year proved it when they won the 14th region.

A school official told me once that one year they qualified for the region at Mason County and the tournament officials produced a pamphlet and write-up on all the teams. The section on Estill said, “Not much is known about Estill County.” Lol. He said they were located so far south in that region that they didn’t play any of the teams in the northern counties and the article was accurate. Which as far as location they’re not any better off in the 14th, along with Powell County they’re the farthest school located to the west, in their case northwest. But the competition is not as formidable as the 10th.

The 10th didn’t make much sense to me.

The 10th didn’t make much sense to me.

I agree, 10th wasn’t a good fit for Estill County.

But their problem is they are in a far corner of any region they could possibly be in. Their location places them at the southern end of the 10th, southeastern end of the 11th, as far north as location can be in the 12th and 13th, and the farthest school to the northwest in the 14th. They’re actually not a good fit for any region if one is looking at it geographically.

• 3 weeks later...

Estill County update:

Interviews start next week. Austin Moore (Estill DC), Cade Berryman (Estill special teams coach/middle school head coach), Jordan Marcum (Madison Central), Austin Maples (Montgomery County OC - did not call the plays last season but he did call the plays when Dan Gooch was MC head coach), Russ Shearer and another Madison Central assistant have applied. Bath County coach Johnny Poytner may have applied but I'm not able to confirm that one yet. It would make since if he did because his wife is from Estill county.

Although interviews start next week, it appears that it already could be down to a 2-3 person race between Berryman, Marcum and Maples (this isn't a confirmation that it is down to those three but hearing it will likely come down to those, and very very possible that it comes down to Maples and Marcum). If it does come down to Maples and Marcum then it will likely go to Maples.

We should know something by the new year, maybe even by Christmas.

I can absolutely discount Johnny Poynter as having applied for this job. I talked to him personally and he is very happy where he is at. Rumors are often just people talking about what "could be" without any actual evidence to back it up. That's the case with this one.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
typo

Estill County update:

Interviews start next week. Austin Moore (Estill DC), Cade Berryman (Estill special teams coach/middle school head coach), Jordan Marcum (Madison Central), Austin Maples (Montgomery County OC - did not call the plays last season but he did call the plays when Dan Gooch was MC head coach).

Although interviews start next week, it appears that it already could be down to a 2-3 person race between Berryman, Marcum and Maples (this isn't a confirmation that it is down to those three but hearing it will likely come down to those, and very very possible that it comes down to Maples and Marcum). If it does come down to Maples and Marcum then it will likely go to Maples.

We should know something by the new year, maybe even by Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...