Alexandria, KY, Business Closings

I believe a Planet Fitness is going in the plaza, but not in the County Market space. Planet Fitness will draw people, no doubt. Something will grow wth it just not sure what. I would think this area of Campbell county is growing, but I am not sure how fast. It will be interesting to see what the demographics will bring.

I saw something last night about Planet Fitness coming to Alexandria as well.

I used to be the property manager at the Alexandria Village Greene shopping center. Since the latest owners too over things have changed for the worse. It started out like they wanted to fix the place up and make it better then it all went downhill.

I can tell you this for sure, if a big national retail store wanted County Markets space, when the lease was up like it is, owners would have jacked the rent out of their reach and forced them out. New tenant commits to 5 year contract paying a lot more and that's how it goes. Corporate ways.

So rent gets raised, no one in family wants to take over, profits down, it's time to go.

Just hate to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

An article about Spare Time closing. Sounds like they just wanted more time for the family.

FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Sparetime's Belly & Soul in Alexandria Closes

The Kleins told Fort Thomas Matters in that same profile that the restaurant is profitable, but that they weren't in it for the money.

They said that running a restaurant can wear on anyone quickly, and both Christa and Kevin value time with their family.

Comments Sparetime's Belly & Soul made on their Facebook page back up those sentiments.

"This was a heart-wrenching decision as we loved what we built and everyone we met through it. (The decision to close was) not tax-related and business was great. (It was) about having more Jesus and family time in our daily life. Just had to shift our priorities."

They also noted that they will be donating the remaining money from the non-profit outreach, Belly & Soul Blessings, to several other nonprofits over the next few weeks.

"We want to pass on the love this community helped provide to so many folks in need. Thanks for all the support!"

There was a facebook posting this morning that said the following. We hope to be back serving the Alexandria community and our loyal customers by Oct,1st. We will keep you all updated on our progress.

The sister of the owner bought it and will re-open as Ingram’s Spare Time

FORT THOMAS MATTERS: Sparetime Will Have New Owners and May Reopen Next Month

Lisa Kremer, sister of Christa Klein, and her family will be the new owners of the restaurant, now called Ingram's Sparetime. Kremer has been working at the restaurant since it was reopened.

Ingram's may sound familiar to many who are reading this. Kremer's family owned Ingram's across from Campbell County high school for many years. It closed in 2000, but the fond memories persist.

"While working at Belly & Soul I got to know a lot of our community and knew a lot previously who were Ingram’s customers from years ago," said Kremer, who is a California, Kentucky resident. "I guess being a restaurant owner its in blood our since my parents ran Ingram’s. Guess it’s my turn!"

Kremer noted she hopes to reopen by October 1.

• 2 months later...

Country Cousin Bakery in Alexandria will be closing as well.

From their Facebook page:

Hello to all County Cousin Bakery

customers.

Thank You for 50 Great years.

It has been my pleasure to have served all of you.

And now the sad news:

Country Cousin Bakery is moving from it's current location

to Martin,Slovakia. ( Slovakia is a small country in the middle of Europe)

Hope to have the new location up and running; sometime in April of 2019.

My last day will be December 23 2018.

For more details, come in and say hi.

Looking towards the future.

Always, Michael

Country Cousin Bakery in Alexandria will be closing as well.

From their Facebook page:

Hello to all County Cousin Bakery

customers.

Thank You for 50 Great years.

It has been my pleasure to have served all of you.

And now the sad news:

Country Cousin Bakery is moving from it's current location

to Martin,Slovakia. ( Slovakia is a small country in the middle of Europe)

Hope to have the new location up and running; sometime in April of 2019.

My last day will be December 23 2018.

For more details, come in and say hi.

Looking towards the future.

Always, Michael

Well that's quite the move.

Figured Miss Shirley's Bakery breaking off on its own and having a better location would have eventually been the demise of Country Cousin.