Mercer Co. 68 Spencer Co. 19

EKU_05

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get down to business , it's playoff time ... Who do you folks potentially face that will be a game ? For the Devils it will not come until week three of playoffs and likely be Corbin ... Your turn ..

The "next game" will be the most important and challenging game.

No bulletin board material here...:sssh:

Besides, with the new playoff format, IMHO the winner of the regular season game is at a disadvantage. Mercer can just overwhelm you right out of the gates. Now take a team that has experienced that, coach 'em up, mentally prepare them for what they know could happen, etc..,

I honestly think every round of the playoffs will present some challenges for Mercer. But I have a hunch Jaggers is fixing to open up the playbook, open up the offense and push the pedal down. Defensively I expect no real changes.....that group is just flat out tough.

Either way, IF we make it to Louisville, I hope to see :devil: waiting for us. Good luck to you all.

Dirty Joe .... is Mercer's lines and backers dominate physically or speed ... Really makes a difference come playoff time ... If you say both , you have a very good chance of going to the box ...

There game is all speed. They arent a very big team physically ( I thought they were much bigger on the lines last year) and arent really gonna dominate the LOS. There game is all about getting to the edge and getting to the open field and either just out running you or slippin thru a few tackles.

There game is all speed. They arent a very big team physically ( I thought they were much bigger on the lines last year) and arent really gonna dominate the LOS. There game is all about getting to the edge and getting to the open field and either just out running you or slippin thru a few tackles.

Sorry....but your one game observation is wrong. Newports good defense pushed us to the edges more than normal, but we still scored on them right over RT and with a big pass play. While you are correct in that we are smaller across the line than last year(we were unusually big)...the obsession for Titans is perfect line play along with backs who block for each other. Combine that with backs that need only a glimpse and the smallest crease open for only a second, and you get three pretty quick guys in the defensive backfield quite a few times each night. They also have the luxury of a couple of guys who enjoy making a hole where there is none. The perception is all speed, but in reality Mercer is multi-faceted in their approach.

We have rushed for over 4,000 yards this year. You have to block to have numbers like that. We are a very good blocking team. They lay alot of punishing blocks. Please dont be mistaken in thinking the Titans are a finesse team. Every touchdown in the Spencer game except for one went for 50+ yards. I remember having a couple 14 or 15 play drives in the Newport game. You don't do that without good play from your line. That turf was very slippery that night so we had to play alot of straight ahead football to get the job done. It negated alot of our backs strengths with their cutting.

If Mercer has power this year it will be a game ... Tight games come down to the line of scrimmage ... looking forward to meeting you guys

Likewise. This is nowhere near the same team as it was last year. Which isn't a secret. They hit alot harder and they constantly bring pressure. If they play a team that has a good qb he has to be very mobile. The defense plays with alot of passion. All the points the offense scores takes away alot of the glory from our defense. It's very good. But, I know there are alot of capable teams out there that are solid on both sides of the ball. From what I here Russell is this year as well.

Likewise. This is nowhere near the same team as it was last year. Which isn't a secret. They hit alot harder and they constantly bring pressure. If they play a team that has a good qb he has to be very mobile. The defense plays with alot of passion. All the points the offense scores takes away alot of the glory from our defense. It's very good. But, I know there are alot of capable teams out there that are solid on both sides of the ball. From what I here Russell is this year as well.

I would say we have a mobile qb he did put up 159 yards rushing on fleming county on 11 carries.:thumb:

Mercer is still the team to beat. They earned that number 1 ranking. Congratulation. I have not seen Mercer play but by the amount of points scored and the speedsters they have in the backfield I don't think Russell can hang with them. At least not at this point. I'm very concerned how the Russell defense will hold up against a quality team.